Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA National Money Show, Irving, TX Trip report

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 20, 2018 6:01AM in U.S. Coin Forum

First off, there are not many large shows in the Southwest, so I had to go! The furthest I have traveled for a show is Denver, a three hour trip down I-35 was a breeze...luckily I missed traffic both going and returning back, for the most part to OKC. Parking was not unreasonable, $10 for the day, and was within the Irving Convention Center complex, which was convenient.

I sold some and bought some coins, images taken by @robec.

The feel for the floor was busy from the aisle side, some of the dealers were saying that Thursday (opening day) was fairly busy, and that Friday was not so much, and that Saturday would possibly be a short day, due to anticipated sales traffic, even though it would be the free admission day to everyone. But travel arrangements have been made prior to.

@FredWeinberg always seems to have great coins, not only did he have a "screwed up" Lincoln cent, but he had two 1967 Cents with screws embedded into them. I wanted to get an image of them, but I did not want to intrude since Fred was either busy on the phone or with other customers.

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/live-ana-coinweek-fred-weinberg-shows-us-one-screwed-lincoln-cent-error/

He also had the "double tailed" Washington quarter in his case.

https://coinweek.com/video-news/double-tailed-quarter-dollar-error-expensive-washington-quarter-error-4k-video/

An older man approached me and saw that I was looking at Barber Half Dollars at a table and asked me if would look at his coin. I was a little surprised, but I figured, what the heck? It was a 1892, in an INS holder, which I don't recall seeing one of these before. He stated that it was graded and housed by Heritage Auctions in 1988. It was a very colorfully toned coin, my apologies for the rotten images, I knew that I should have taken a few more. Upon closer examination, I noticed that it was not only nicely toned, it was a TDR as well. We went over to the CONECA table and they confirmed that it was a TDR, but the "coolness" of the holder was worth more than the attribution of a fairly common variety.

I sold more coins than I bought from one dealer.

I bought more coins than I sold to another dealer.

I sold one coin to a dealer in which I did not buy from.

I bought one coin from a dealer I did not sell to.

...and did lots of browsing.

In my previous shows, I did not pay too much attention to the prices at the "choke & puke", but goodness, $4 for a bottled beverage (soda or water) which was proudly displayed on a bright sign which could not be missed...I can only imagine how much the "food" was. One dealer had some BBQ ribs brought in with a side fixin'...they smelled really good, but I did not partake.

Overall, it was a good show in my opinion.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2018 6:07AM

I went to the show too. A good 2+ hour drive for me to get to the show. I was there on Thursday and I thought the floor was pretty busy. I bought more coins than I sold (3 to 1) and was happy with the selection on the floor, albeit, a little pricey for the better stuff. To be expected I guess. I probably bought from 5 or 6 different dealers.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the show report(s)....I thought there would be more reports from this show.. usually quite a few forum members attend... That INS holder is fairly uncommon, I only recall seeing one at a show in Seattle area...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

BBQ Ribs: If it was Friday, and the dealer
    I'm thinking of (and thanking!) for bringing
    in Ribs, Brisket, Beans, etc., from a well-known
    downtown Dallas BBQ, he was very generously
    offering a plate for you to fill up, gratis, not $10.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2018 7:40AM

Yep, that was Friday, sorry @FredWeinberg I must have had some cross-communication on the BBQ. I corrected my OP.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The entrance is reminiscent of a funeral parlor, with the dearly departed laid out just inside the door past the plastic flowers.

This kind of approach does not attract new people and presents a venue devoid of energy, excitement and connection.

But -- to me most coin shows miss the mark -- what ever that mark is.

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the show report, I enjoyed hearing about your experience. I'm sorry I couldn't attend this show, it was the first ANA I've missed in over 10 years. It was the same weekend as my local Buena Park show and I've had to miss it twice due to the ANA overlapping with it, and this time I decided to support my local show. Again, thank you for sharing.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report.

• Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report...

• Options
    edited March 20, 2018 8:21AM

Images added for a couple of the coins that I purchased in the OP.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file