Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are these slabs/coins worth it?

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a chance at 1955-1964 dimes in MS62-64 (P and D no S), and some 1955-64 nickels in 61 or better. They're all in rattlers. Is ten to twenty bucks each too much?

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2018 8:11AM

No that’s what it cost to slab them but I would shop around. I snipped an eBay lot of 4 or 5 slabbed Roos 10c about $8 each MS64-MS66 1950’s then sold them about $25 - $40 each avg over next several months. Not a bad profit margin.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Nice!! Wonder if I can write off the mileage on my taxes to go pick them up.

Thanks for your quick response, awesome!

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it is too much . What are you going to do with them? They should never have been sent in to begin with as they are only worth a couple bucks at best. If a 2 dollar coin is in a Rattler, it is still a 2 dollar coin.

My two cents!

• Options

That was why I posted haha. =P

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

I currently pay $1.20 each for mint sealed proof silver dimes of the years you mention. The proof nickels and pennies for that matter of the same years are usually thrown in for free. No idea why anyone would even spend the money to slab such coins but to each their own.

To answer your question, yes in my opinion $10-$20 for a single 1955-64 dime or nickel is absurdly overpriced. You can buy entire mint sealed proof sets for $10-$12 and you get the quarter and half dollar too.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

If you're looking to sell..

o:)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... overpriced.... A lot better deals out there... Cheers, RickO

• Options

To flip the holders which seem to be a strong market at the moment. A 10 dollar dime sample in an OGH at 22.50 is still doubling my money.

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Yes it is too much . What are you going to do with them? They should never have been sent in to begin with as they are only worth a couple bucks at best. If a 2 dollar coin is in a Rattler, it is still a 2 dollar coin.

My two cents!

Exactly.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I find interesting is back in the rattler days PCGS didn't offer discounts on grading and you mostly had to go through an authorized dealer to have your coins graded. A lot of work and generally why you wouldn't find these types of coins sent in for grading.
    I personally do believe there is a premium for the holders- especially so if they are in near perfect condition. Were they graded in a single batch? Might also help if you sold them as a lot.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    To flip the holders which seem to be a strong market at the moment. A 10 dollar dime sample...

Are they sample slabs? I don't think I'd pay more than $8-$10 for bulk rattler sample slabs. If they're standard holders, I think it is too much money.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:

My two cents!

This is so true. It doesn't matter how much was put into a coin.....it is only worth so much.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only person who would be interested in those is someone trying to put together a rattler collection. Dimes and nickels in later dates are not very common.

• Options

Good to know!!

I'm running out of mobile data and I can't open the ogh/fatty/rattler thread. The CCF link is broken on their site.

What gen are these? Or are these the contemporary? Got this for $2.38 or something.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

As davewesen said, they do have value to people trying to put slab sets together, rattler or otherwise. If you pay below grading fees, it's worth it to someone. IMHO.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends, honestly.... on the motivation for such. Not for my money, but to each their own in the quest.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    Nice!! Wonder if I can write off the mileage on my taxes to go pick them up.

Thanks for your quick response, awesome!

In business, one should. Why leave money on the table ? Then again, in business.... why throw it away ?

• Options
    edited March 24, 2018 7:41AM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file