Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Harold II Penny

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 17, 2018 1:16PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Many thanks to those who gave me advice on dealers who specialize in hammered British coins. The last piece I needed for my current project was a Harold II penny. Harold ruled for about eight months in 1066. He became king after Edward the Confessor died. He and his forces were defeated at the Battle of Hastings in October 1066. He was the last Saxon king.

This coin is not perfect, but has all of the attributes that I wanted, clear lettering and a good portrait.

I purchased this piece from Davissons Ltd.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭

Very Nice!

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

A real beauty

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations
    That is beautiful penny of Harold

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coin. That thing has incredible detail for being almost 1,000 years old.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

Alan is a knowledgeable, straight arrow dealer and a joy to work with. A number of my best Conder tokens are from Alan.

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones - Wondering if you have a link to your English Penny Collection? I've enjoyed seeing them piecemeal, but I bet they look fantastic in order.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:
    @BillJones - Wondering if you have a link to your English Penny Collection? I've enjoyed seeing them piecemeal, but I bet they look fantastic in order.

Actually a great many of them are something other than pennies after the British kings started issuing larger pieces. I tried to buy gold coins where I could starting with Edward III who really introduced gold coinage to England. Prior to that I think there are six gold pennies, which appear to be patterns to me. The are modern versions of those, but I have passed on buyint them.

I have been working on a notebook which I call, "A Bullet History of British Kings Through their Coinage." I though I might start posting those pages over time. It's nother elaborate or detailed. It's just enough wet my interest and keep a few facts in my poor head.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?