Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your stickered OGH’s, Rattlers and Fatties

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 14, 2018 11:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I fancy great coins in “ancient” holders that are CAC. It’s a lethal combo in my opinion. I love the total package.

This coin was cold called to me about 3 years ago. I passed on it as the price was over my pain threshold and I have a high tolerance for pain.

Fast forward two years. The same dealer sees me at a show and offers it to me again. This time the coin is in a new holder. The person that bought it gambled the OGH for the 68+ and lost and sold it back to the dealer. Same grade as before (and stickered). I buy it for thousands less.

As I reflect now I sometimes wish I paid the extra 20% and had it in the OGH. I know it’s the same coin and all that but........Oh well

Please post your old stickered holdered coins por favor

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark,

Your patience is virtuous. The TrueView was not possible in the OGH. IMHO OGH's are greatly overvalued.......I can enjoy a TrueView on a daily basis, but an OGH in my SDB would be a problem for my fleeting memory........

Beautiful coin.

OINK

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be honest with you; I would have passed on the WLH in the newer holder. I get the entire mantra of "buy the coin, not the holder" and such, but when you know a coin was in what might be called a now historic holder and then you see it a short time later in a newer holder all I can think of is "maxed out". Therefore, every time I would see that WLH I would think "maxed out". :/

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I'll be honest with you; I would have passed on the WLH in the newer holder. I get the entire mantra of "buy the coin, not the holder" and such, but when you know a coin was in what might be called a now historic holder and then you see it a short time later in a newer holder all I can think of is "maxed out". Therefore, every time I would see that WLH I would think "maxed out". :/

MS68 is a pretty respectable grade at which a Walker could be maxed out!

• Options
    edited March 15, 2018 7:57AM

@TomB said:

Hi Tom! The way I reconciled it was like this:

When I saw the coin I thought to myself this is a stone cold 68 100% of the time. I guess on any given day it could get a +. At the 68 grade level there really isn’t much room to go up so most if not all 68’s are in theory “maxed out”. One just has to make sure that it’s indeed a 68 all day everyday.

In a perfect world I wish I could have bought the coin it’s it OGH at the price I ended up paying for it. Alas, the holder and allure premium was just too high. But, I totally hear you. OGH’s are sexy as hell.

Now time to get back to positing coins in this thread. So far so good!

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some beautiful coins in this thread....Though I am not a slab, sticker, label collector, I can appreciate the attraction.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@TomB said:

Hi Tom! The way I reconciled it was like this:

When I saw the coin I thought to myself this is a stone cold 68 100% of the time. I guess on any given day it could get a +. At the 68 grade level there really isn’t much room to go up so most if not all 68’s are in theory “maxed out”. One just has to make sure that it’s indeed a 68 all day everyday.

In a perfect world I wish I could have bought the coin it’s it OGH at the price I ended up paying for it. Alas, the holder and allure premium was just too high. But, I totally hear you. OGH’s are sexy as hell.

Now time to get back to positing coins in this thread. So far so good!

mark

I know. I know. I was just being my old Mr. Rainbow-Sunshine-&-Unicorns self. :#

• Options

I might be too Kumbaya-ed out to post more, but believe me; I love the thread and the opening WLH!

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2018 12:38PM

@jtlee321 said:
    You're going to owe me a new keyboard in a few days... This is going to be a drool worthy thread.

I used to own the 1896 in the doily which I sold to AnkurJ who had it CACd who must have sold it to you where it's now on eBay.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2018 8:39AM
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 said:
    From my OGH type set ...... a never ending work in progress and a heck of a lot of fun.....

more things i can live with :)

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice LG PL @Weiss :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, this thread contains some incredible coins that are just off the charts cool!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovin the old holders!
    Doily:

Got a green bean now, thanks bajjerfan

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCDollar said:
    Yikes...some nice stuff. I thought I would throw in this Widget...take care...

CC

One mans widget is another mans treasure. :smile: `

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

I used to own the 1896 in the doily which I sold to AnkurJ who had it CACd who must have old it to you where it's now on eBay.

I wanted to keep it, but the cracked outer frame started to bother me too much. I knew it was cracked when I bought it, but didn't know it went all the way through. Nothing I would do a return on, but I did find it to be a tougher to find VAM-20. So I'm hoping to take that money and get a different Doily example for my collection, that or possibly an NGC 2.1. :)

• Options

@jtlee321 said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

I used to own the 1896 in the doily which I sold to AnkurJ who had it CACd who must have old it to you where it's now on eBay.

I wanted to keep it, but the cracked outer frame started to bother me too much. I knew it was cracked when I bought it, but didn't know it went all the way through. Nothing I would do a return on, but I did find it to be a tougher to find VAM-20. So I'm hoping to take that money and get a different Doily example for my collection, that or possibly an NGC 2.1. :)

I had 2 of the 1896s. On one the outer ring opened like a clam shell.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2018 3:14PM

I've got a few...

I've got many more OGHs that aren't stickered but likely would, if sent in to CAC.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Proofmorgan I like your Bridgeport. That coin looks fantastic, too bad that town has gone to pieces.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible thread!!!!

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread and thread idea, Mark. Some really nice and special coins posted here.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2018 3:33PM

Since this thread is ramping up I'll post this one. ex Weiss & ex Justacommeman from CRO. I think we all made money on this one.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Since this thread is ramping up I'll post this one. ex Weiss & ex Justacommeman from CRO. I think we all made money on this one.

That is just a magical coin. So glad that I got to have it in my possession for a short period of time.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Nothing too fancy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file