Timbuk3
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like those pants!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea....must be a political cartoon.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

The guy on the right is the buyer. Guy on the left is selling for a shave, clothes and a new hat. ;)

• Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Here's a few hints or clues: the picture is on a postcard, intended to be sent through the mail. Below the caption "Made several purchases" is a fairly large blank space where it was expected the sender would add some remarks themselves, whether or not relevant to the illustration and/or the supplied caption.

Of the two male caricatures, the guy on the left symbolized a country bumpkin, and the guy on the right was supposed to be a city slicker. The locality of the transaction is in the city, since we can discern tall buildings in the background.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2018 10:48PM

The guy on the left with his Hand in is pocket is holding a pocket pistol.
    He's the buyer OR getting ready to ROB the city slicker.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figured the cat on the left was a gold miner coming to the city to sell his gold. Fat dude in the black top hat is the shyster we buy gold buyer / dealer.

At first I was certain he was the one ready to rip off the seller as most dealers do however after @rte592's comment about hand in pocket makes you wonder if he is about to pull a pistol, or perhaps he just likes to play pocket pool.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2018 8:12AM

Let's step this up a little :)

The guy on the right is the buyer, the seller with a CCW on the left has another 2 bricks in the sellers bag.

The buyer answered a for sale ad on the Aumish Craigslist and in the next frame he was shot after he tried to steal the first bar.

The buyers female acompless leaves the scene shortly after in a stolen car.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

New blood here, but could the slicker be Diamond Jim Brady? The bling, girth and period match.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    New blood here, but could the slicker be Diamond Jim Brady? The bling, girth and period match.

Welcome aboard here at the forums! The cartoon artist might very well have had 'Diamond Jim' in mind, great suggestion, although not the solution to the original question.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carpet bagger on left. Southern gentleman on right. Carpet bagger is receiving the gold. Savannah Georgia?

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2018 2:31PM

I first thought the guy on the left was a tired and worn out "Uncle Sam".....giving more of its gold away. LOL.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this picture a Rorschach test, or what??

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:
    Let's step this up a little :)

The guy on the right is the buyer, the seller with a CCW on the left has another 2 bricks in the sellers bag.

The buyer answered a for sale ad on the Aumish Craigslist and in the next frame he was shot after he tried to steal the first bar.

The buyers female acompless leaves the scene shortly after in a stolen car.

don't that beet awl B)

• Options

A few cute replies, but nobody has really figured it out yet.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

The guy on the left is a con-man, snake oil salesman selling the gold to the fat cat businessman.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't it just a comic postcard? In 1905, that amount of gold would be able to buy a ton of merchandise. The caption, "Made several purchases" is just a play on words for someone from the country that took a trip to a big city and spent a lot of money. The sender of the card is supposed to write after the statement about what they wasted so much money on during their big spending spree in the city. A 400 ounce gold bar was a lot of money back then.

That's my guess at least :p

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Swindle at the Gold Bar Mine, Nevada ??

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Any more guesses before I provide my own interpretation? Of course we can't enter into the mindset of the cartoonist from 113 years ago, although I think it's pretty obvious what was intended.

• Options

Must be a politician 'taking his cut' :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

@botanist Sure, what is your take on this :smile:

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brick painted gold? Other than that I'll cry uncle.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    Brick painted gold? Other than that I'll cry uncle.

Yes, thanks, definitely correct, that's one part of the scenario (but still missing the big picture). I fully agree the apparent gold brick is undoubtedly fake, totally worthless, meaning the buyer is being swindled. Even just the term 'gold brick' is an idiom for worthless, an idiom very popular around 1905.

• Options

Here's my interpretation. Both of these cartoon characters were supposed to be typical cheating charlatans, the guy on the left with a satchel the phony country farmer, pretending to be naive, and on the right a fancy-dressed supposedly wealthy, suave, sophisticated and knowledgable urbanite. Both are out to swindle you.

The cartoonist has deliberately made it completely ambiguous as to which one might be buying, and which one selling, it was intentionally indeterminate, could be going either way, there's no telling.

But the real victim is supposedly the postcard sender, sending the card to make it a joke on himself or herself, self-deprecatory humor, for the amusement of the recipient.

No messages were allowed on the address side of picture postcards in the U.S. until March 1907. In 1905, if you wished to pen a note, it had to go on the picture side, and space was allotted for doing so. The sender could therefore add a few words to the three already provided, not necessarily relevant to the drawing, although a pertinent remark might have added to the hilarity, just use your imagination.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Guy on the left side is the Buyer. The seller has the new Digs and a shave.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member