Home Precious Metals
Options

1986 AGE Age Perceived Value

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
edited March 14, 2018 5:34AM in Precious Metals

I know about the key dates in silver but not as much in gold. (Fractional sizes but all)

Are the AGE older or 1986 dates worth more?

Its amazing how much more apmex charges for older dates, even an 87.

(sort of a repeat of a 10yr old question but this time relating to G)

COA

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the old adage 'They don't make them anymore', likely applies....So many are tied up in collections or stacks.... just not as common, therefore, a premium. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you go to sell, it will be harder to find people to pay premiums for the older ones.
    Similar to SAEs. Some have a little premium, when YOU go to sell, but usually, they are pretty much the same.

As for APMEX, or other sellers like that, yep, they will charge premiums. They generally want to have bulk when they sell, and by setting a higher price, there is more of a perceived rarity.

If you have the time, and the patience, and there aren't a lot of other sellers, then getting a premium for the older ones is possible. If you are an individual seller, again, good luck getting much of a premium, if any.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Yeah, and the comparison to private gold vs silver sales is interesting.
    It seems I get less responses when I raise gold even a little above spot. But then I bargain as well.

On silver I can lift an eyebrow on an ASE 86 or 96. On gold they just keep snoring, even my 87.

If I flash a silver Engelhard of any kind, heart rates go up, and the spot offers increase and so do the aggressive comments.

No problem selling my silver bullion base items at +$1. There seems to be sort of a mental spillover of that onto gold sales even though the gsr is ridiculous right now. I mean on silver $1 over is 1/16.5. But if you used that ratio on a gold ounce it would be $80 per oz and the offers drop to zero and the critics come out. lol

COA
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

87s etc. are pretty common. I wonder if one bought a box of 500 random dates what they'd get. The 1996 and 2000 are the toughest to find. Not so long ago I saw maybe 15 or more of the 86s for little or no premium. Maybe over a year ago, APMEX had rolls[?] of most dates for which they were charging a premium. The 1 AGE that I have right now is a 1986. if you buy random dates from those eBay specials you aren't likely to get an 86 or 96 or 2000.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fortunately, I have those dates.... and acquired them long ago... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many monster boxes of random date/prior years AGEs one would have to buy in order get a full set of 1986-2017 year coins. I expect the big dealers probly cherry pick those too.