• Options

Btw it has no mint mark

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

its worth 25 cents. spend it.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

25¢

It is painted red to be used in jukeboxes. There is no value to a red painted quarter from 1974, numismatically.

Do you know what a jukebox is?

lol

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Oh well that’s disappointing thanks anyways

-Grayson

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. And , it looks like the mintmark is that blob behind Washington's hair ribbon.

• Options
    jafo50jafo50 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    25¢

It is painted red to be used in jukeboxes. There is no value to a red painted quarter from 1974, numismatically.

Do you know what a jukebox is?

lol

bob :)

The establishment owner would get the music started by inserting a painted quarter and pick a song. The marked coin would later me removed from the coin box and returned to the owner. This would let him keep track of how much money the jukebox actually made. I think they used nail polish to mark the coin.

Joe

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

It worth a quarter.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

"The establishment owner would get the music started by inserting a painted quarter and pick a song. The marked coin would later me removed from the coin box and returned to the owner. This would let him keep track of how much money the jukebox actually made. I think they used nail polish to mark the coin."

Couldn't they just count the actual # of quarters in the machine to determine how much money the jukebox made, without needing to insert any colored coin? Or put in an unpainted one & subtract 25 cents from the total haul to determine the same? Not sure I understand what significance or usefulness the painted coin represented.......

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

why would you think a clad, common date quarter to be worth more than face value?

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red painted quarter belonged to an old arcade machine or laundromat, so a game of Pac-man or 5 mins of drying machine?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

25 cents, technical term for it:
    a spender or loose change

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

The finger nail coated quarters were usually owned by the waitress at a bar or pub. She'd feed the juke box a quarter to play some music to get the patrons to dance, drink and basically get the party going. This would also encourage other patrons to stick their quarters into the machine. The vendor would 'give back' any finger nail coated coins to the establishment to use again and again. It was a win, win situation, the vendor made money, the bar keep made money, the wait person made tips from tipsy patrons.

Spend the quarter.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gr4yson0306....Welcome aboard...Yep... juke box or game quarter... no numismatic value.... Keep looking at your change though... there are good one's out there. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I know. Interesting.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting, I never knew this. I am only 33, and only remember one place with a juke box that was actually played/used.

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Priceless?

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one in change that I held onto as a relic of an earlier time. Worth only face value, but nothing wrong with that,.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

"What's it Worth?". The eternal question. Coins like the OP specimen draw questions all the time from new or non-collectors. It's only natural. People want to learn.

This is the place to come to submit your questions. Most times you will not like the answer. We do give good advice.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when I was in high school when the clad 65’s came out you would get a “Red” one one occasion. We called them Commie quarters. Got this one in charge today.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I could have secretly tipped the waitresses by painting my own quarters red and using them in the jukebox 🤔

Mr_Spud

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

And nail polish was probably used because different waitresses had different shades of fingernail polish, enabling them to sort out whose quarters were whose, at the end of the day. Or so I've heard it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dealer mentor called them "hokewaters". I had no idea what he was talking about.

Turns out he meant "ho' quarters", and in his version, there was a jukebox and nail polish involved, but the ladies weren't waitresses.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2022 3:53AM

Used by pay phone repairmen ?
    Used to protest highway toll increases ?
    https://youtu.be/aS-Lv_sRzDU

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those red quarters were used by bar owners in the juke boxes. When there was no music being played by the bar patrons, the bar owner would "prime the pump" by playing a couple of songs. When the juke box owner emptied the coins out of the juke box, he'd give the bar owner back his red quarters so they could be used again to "prime the pump".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would grade a nailpolished quarter if they put —Ho Quarter— on the label.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2022 5:52AM

Face value. I just throw in my change wallet for Burger King.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file