Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS regrade - can I get new holder and Truview even if grade does not change?

Does anyone know if I can submit a PCGS coin for a "Regrade" and request a new holder / truview even if the grade does not change? This is not clear on the PCGS website. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Others will know better than me but you can either crack it out or send for reholder, for example.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@historybuff said:
    Does anyone know if I can submit a PCGS coin for a "Regrade" and request a new holder / truview even if the grade does not change? This is not clear on the PCGS website. Thanks

Yes PCGS will do that for you.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2018 5:30PM

If I am correct they crack on a regrade with trueview service requested the coin is cracked out for regrading and for the photo. It should come back in a new slab.

If you're fine with the grade already given simply do a reholder with trueview service. Both ways your coin will be photographed and graded raw and then reholdered. You could also request their secure service which includes a new slab and label and a trueview.

• Options
    historybuffhistorybuff Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

THanks!

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please post before and after Trueviews.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2018 5:52PM

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you opt to Reholder into a PCGS Gold Shield™ holder you won't have to pay TrueView fees.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell yeah, why pay for one grade when you can pay for 3. Resubmit every year when the holder style changes. PCG will gladly retake your $$$$ to change the plastic to the latest and greatest. Don't forget your cac and w white re-stickers too. $200 round trip if yous lucky lulz!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure you can get almost anything they offer if you specify and pay the fees....I would recommend a telephone consult first though, to avoid any paper communication issues. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    historybuffhistorybuff Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

RickO thanks, sounds like a good idea. I like their true view for coins that I want to keep a long time, especially for gold, since it is very difficult to capture all of the detail in my own photos. And one of my holders is all scratched up anyway.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am pretty sure a re-grade will be "re-graded" as a raw coin. Thus a new holder and you can tru-view. They do have a service where they will not take the coin out of the holder if it will not upgrade (thus you can keep an old holder unless the grade changes).

Last summer, my dealer went through my coins and picked 7 he thought may upgrade. They all came back in new holders, with new certificate numbers. (3 upgraded). These were submitted in the PCGS holders for grading.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2018 9:44AM

In short, TrueViews require a re-holder. TrueView is actually an add-on to other services. You have to choose Re-holder Service and add TrueView to that, then pay for both.

So if you send it in for Re-grade Service and add TrueView, you will get a new holder no matter what. The only thing I'm not sure about is if they will charge you for Re-holder if it doesn't get a new holder from failing to re-grade.

You can always go to the online submission center and see how the system plays out as you enter your information. Before you commit you will see what the price will be. Then you can just not hit the submit button if you don't want to do it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    In short, TrueViews require a re-holder. TrueView is actually an add-on to other services. You have to choose Re-holder Service and add TrueView to that, then pay for both.

So if you send it in for Re-grade Service and add TrueView, you will get a new holder no matter what. The only thing I'm not sure about is if they will charge you for Re-holder if it doesn't get a new holder from failing to re-grade.

You can always go to the online submission center and see how the system plays out as you enter your information. Before you commit you will see what the price will be. Then you can just not hit the submit button if you don't want to do it.

A TrueView is not an add on if you choose to Reholder using PCGS Gold Shield™ instead of the Regular holder. The TrueView will be included at no charge.

The cost of a Regular reholder is $12 and a TrueView $10 for a total of $22

The cost of the PCGS Gold Shield™ is an additional $5 Reholder fee, but the TrueView is included at no extra charge. Total cost $17.

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

What is the typical turn around time for sending coins off to PCGS for a reholder into a secure slab and a true view?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeatedToners said:
    What is the typical turn around time for sending coins off to PCGS for a reholder into a secure slab and a true view?

Theoretically, it should be the same as for a coin submitted raw under the secure tier. My experience recently has been that they pop a little faster, but your mileage may vary.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask for it to be Gold Shield holdered it's only $5.00.
    It's on the new forms.

• Options

@SeatedToners said:

Less than 30 days my last one was mailed 6/27/18 and I have them back already.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2018 11:56AM

Sample of their work. BTW this image was available last week when I put it in the registry.
    https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/81214960_800x600.jpg

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re-holders are pretty quick.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file