Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should Throwback Labels Remove the Surrounding Shield Whiteout?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 9, 2018 10:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The throwback labels are nice but I've been thinking it's better to get them without the Gold Shield service because the Gold Shield whiteouts the surrounding label, unlike on current generation holders.

Because of this, I prefer the throwback label without the Shield even though I would otherwise consider it.

What do you think? Should PCGS remove the whiteout on the surrounding label?

Here's what the doily looks like. And of course, this isn't an issue with the 1.0 white label.

Here's more:

https://www.pcgs.com/labels/GenerationSeries

Should Throwback Labels Remove the Surrounding Shield Whiteout?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they are there as not confuse noobs on whether they are new or old gen. It is a protection measure not an aesthetic one thus i doubt there care

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya got me! I don't even understand the question.... :)

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the Shield would look much cleaner without the surrounding whiteout.

YES! I was totally bummed how terrible all the whiteout looked when I received mine. Takes up way too much of the special label I paid extra for.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    I think they are there as not confuse noobs on whether they are new or old gen. It is a protection measure not an aesthetic one thus i doubt there care

The shields are not there on all of them, only if you get the "secure" package. So that doesn't even make sense. The question is whether the background should have a white fade under the shield, or if it should be the solid color of the label.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whiteout is unnecessary and unattractive.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the label without the 'white out'....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

i agree it would look cleaner. jmo

• Options

OK....A goofy question. Why is there any interest in paper labels? Isn't the coin the important thing, or am I so far out of touch...?

• Options
    edited March 10, 2018 9:15AM

@RogerB said:
    OK....A goofy question. Why is there any interest in paper labels? Isn't the coin the important thing, or am I so far out of touch...?

The entire package is important. It's kind of like the reasons people can prefer different slab generations and buy nice wheels for cars.

How long has it been since you've been a collector?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@RogerB said:

The entire package is important. It's kind of like the reasons people can prefer different slab generations and buy nice wheels for cars.

A long time. Even on the rare occasion now when I buy a coin, it's for the coin only; the package is of no added value either financial or informational.

"The entire package is important" is something I must accept and try to understand, but it is difficult to comprehend. I've probably irritated some by asking the more-or-less same question several times; just hoping to understand. Right now, I don't.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2018 9:33AM

@RogerB said:

@Zoins said:

@RogerB said:

A long time. Even on the rare occasion now when I buy a coin, it's for the coin only; the package is of no added value either financial or informational.

"The entire package is important" is something I must accept and try to understand, but it is difficult to comprehend. I've probably irritated some by asking the more-or-less same question several times; just hoping to understand. Right now, I don't.

Check out this page for how times have changed. It might blow your mind!

https://www.pcgs.com/labels

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I don't collect labels either. I buy into the big concept of third-party authentication, and I like any genuine provenance information on a label. After that, I grade the coins for myself, consider the price/value equation for myself, and screw the color of the label and any 'celebrity' signatures on a label. I collect coins, not labels, and I am very sensitive to throwing away any portion of my purchase money.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2018 9:37AM

RE: "Check out this page for how times have changed."

Thanks. I'm aware of these and the NGC ones and ANACS, etc. But -- I simply don't comprehend the value/attraction/purpose of such things. They are, in my opinion, of no importance and no value. Yet, I also understand that commercially, the TPS are in a financial bind. With fewer legitimate coin grading submissions, they have expanded into pseudo-grading. That generates fees and maintains profits - at least for a while. The term is "artificial market expansion" if I remember correctly from postgrad classes. AKA - "Build a prettier mousetrap, not a better one." :)

Thanks for your help! I'd best stop asking the same questions.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2018 10:36AM

@RogerB said:
    "Build a prettier mousetrap, not a better one."

PCGS is building a prettier and better holder :)

See this for the better holder:

https://www.pcgs.com/news/PCGS-Introduces-Superior-New-Holder

"We have been working for months to create this secure, superior next-generation holder to safely house our customers' coins and to give even more peace of mind to buyers and sellers of PCGS-certified coins," said Don Willis, President of PCGS.

"This is the most technically advanced coin holder ever offered. There has never been a coin holder that has gone through as much chemical and laboratory analysis as the 2015 PCGS Gold Shield holder," Willis explained.

"This is part of the ongoing, aggressive efforts by PCGS to combat the global proliferation of counterfeit coins and imitation holders," said PCGS Co-Founder David Hall. "In addition to the advanced security features, the new holder's airtight design will help prevent spotting and toning of coins."

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

TPGs are just waiting for grading submissions and profits to fall just enough... that's when we'll get the change to a 100-point grading scale. ;)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I chose yes of the two options available...I don't care for any of the retro labels.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one who thinks these throwbacks are a bad idea?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Am I the only one who thinks these throwbacks are a bad idea?

m

No, you aren't. But neither of us run the company. ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file