Home U.S. Coin Forum

Recommendations for best cases/slabs for loose coins?

commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

I have some loose coins I want to protect. Almost my whole collection are in graded pngs slabs, but what do you guys recommend for loose coins? Really looking for the best I can get. I'd be starting with a couple trade dollars.

Preferably something that could fit in a pcgs slab box, but not a necessity.

Thanks!

Comments

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never found anything better than a 2"x 2" box (the ones about 9" long). I put my coins in plastic flips and organize them by denomination and date. If you want to display raw coins then Airtites is your best option. plug the coin in, snap it closed and it's protected.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For special coins, I like to 'self slab'... you can buy blank snap together slabs online.... other than those special coins, I use flips.... Cheers, RickO

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a heat sealer that seals the safe-flips. And the 2 1/2 " ones fit right into a PCGS blue box.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2018 2:22PM

Thanks guys!
    Would any of the plastic slabs work?
    I just don't want anything that can harm the coin as I'll be putting pretty valuable coins in these. (they aren't eligible to be graded)
    Thanks!

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m very satisfied with my fleet of Lighthouse Quickslabs.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

I like Intercept Shield 2x2s. Store them in a 2x2 box.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just burn those PNG slabs.
    Put them out of their embarrassment

Frank

BHNC #203

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lighthouse makes two varieties, the Quickslabs (which can be reopened) and the Everslabs which are permanent (they claim they can be opened, but I've never done it w/o destroying the slab).The

The Coin World slabs are also popular and easy to open (they have a finger notch).

There is a brand (I forget which) that uses different color plastic for the inserts, which I always thought was an unfortunate choice.

Most of these sort of look like NGC slabs - curved corners, flat sides.

There are several additional brands available from China through eBay - PCCB is a PCGS style.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Thanks again!
    It looks like the coin world premier slabs might fit what I'm looking for best.

Has anybody used these?

Is there any chance of any of these slabs harming a coin long term? Are they inert? Just want to make sure there isn't any way they could harm a coin.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy the Coin World Premier slabs by the case for attributing raw coins (mostly Morgan and Peace VAMs). Easy to use and label, and the holders are as inert as TPG holders. I have coins that have been in these for many years and they look fine. The shells are press-fit together and can be opened as desired. They are stacking-compatible with PCGS slabs and fit in the blue boxes nicely. I just wish they'd have kept the black inserts instead of going to the dark green. The Lighthouse slabs are NGC compatible, and will not fit in the PCGS boxes.

Thanks! I actually prefer the green I think

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thread.
    I see Wizard Supply has the Coin World Premier Holders
    Somebody please post a pic of a coin in one

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like airtites, don't know how expensive they are these days. I still have a really big box of them I bought on closeout 30 years ago. Lol.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

@howards said:
    I like Intercept Shield 2x2s. Store them in a 2x2 box.

That's also my choice.

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought some of the coin made holders.
    Anyone have photos of their coins in these?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file