Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Was the apology note to make me feel better?

JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 28, 2018 9:02AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is how I received my package not to long ago. 2 boxes of 50 rolls each. Luckily the seller put each box in a plastic bag because pennies were all over the place. I didn't bother doing anything as I just bit the bullet....but I was pissed off.

Comments

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you just receive that package and was everything there? If you did just receive it I think I would be more upset that it happened over a month and a half ago and is just arriving!

• Options

At least seller packaged in a box. I bought some rolls a while back and seller stuck about 10 of them in one of those priority mail cardboard envelopes without any reinforcing tape. I did get the empty envelope delivered on time though.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

have you counted them all to see how many missing?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... there is just no excuse for that.... Hope you got everything anyway.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited February 28, 2018 9:04AM

@MorganMan94 said:

Did you just receive that package and was everything there?

Everything was there.. but 6 rolls were broke open and 4 damaged :# . The point of this thread is the apology note....it's the USPS job to protect and deliver my priority mail, that's what I paid them for. :)

Jim

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was there some type of packing around the smaller box in the lager box, shiftiong loads are what usually cause this type of damage. Sometime's it the packers mistake as much as the carriers.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 15 years ago I bought over 600 predecimal Australian pennies from a seller in Australia that arrived with coins dropping out of the box! When I sell stuff I wrap it like it is going to go to Mars.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look like the seller had the outside box taped very well - there must have been some play on the inside or else the USPS guys threw it and it crashed on the ground.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Occurrences" That word alone proves to me they really don't care.

• Options

@LindeDad Said:

The seller did an excellent job of packing. It was the fault of the USPS. I pieced the box back together the best I could so you could see it and come to your own conclusion.

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

These occurrences are not rare at all, I've seen postal workers throw packages fifteen feet into a bin because they were too lazy to walk over and lay it down.

Pathetic

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

when you ship those unopen fed boxes of 50 rolls, you have to use a lot of bubble wrap to keep them prestine. he never used any. unopen boxes in great shape will always be worth more, i would get a partial refund

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mizzou said:
    These occurrences are not rare at all, I've seen postal workers throw packages fifteen feet into a bin because they were too lazy to walk over and lay it down.

Pathetic

Just goes to show how the USPS tries, but usually fails.

Back in the 1980's the USPS tried to emulate UPS in package sorting and shipping. Previous to this, packages (parcels) were transported in large burlap sacks, thrown on gurneys, then thrown into trucks one by one for transport. There was too much damage going on.

UPS used a method of placing packages into large, caged containers with a doors that opened on one side. The packages were placed in the container, and when finished, the door was closed and it was wheeled out to a waiting truck.

The USPS invested millions of dollars in new equipment by purchasing similar containers (called BMC, for Bulk Mail Container) The BMC's started showing up at our Post Office every day. We re-used them to ship outgoing parcels in the evening.

The Postal Service Management team had a brand new system in place for parcels. Problem is they did nothing in the way of training and instructing clerks how to use it.

Instead of placing parcels into the BMC's clerks threw them in. Instead of placing them into hampers for Letter Carriers to deliver, they got thrown in instead. After millions of dollars, the Postal Service got zero return on it's investment.

But c'mon....................they TRIED, didn't they?. It is not what you do but how you do it. A simple statement that was not understood by a simple headed management.

Flash to today. The problem has not gotten better, but worse. The OP package is a perfect example of that.

I've been retired for over 10 years. I haven't gone back to visit. I haven't gone to retirement parties. I print my stamps at home. I haven't looked back.

Hope this little story helps explain the lunacy.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some poor USPS worker probably threw out his back and dropped the box on his foot breaking 3 toes trying to handle that heavy box. :o

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would've brought them to the post office and used them to buy $25 worth of stamps.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I've never seen the post office include a damaged note. Is this a common practice?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no excuse for damage like that. A claim should be filed. I'd squawk like a stuck pig.

I've had stuff go missing or damaged and just get this lame "sorry" stuff. NGC and PCGS guarantee their work, why not the usps? They make tons of money in their business, they should have extra insurance for dereliction of duty and damage.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeatedToners said:
    I've never seen the post office include a damaged note. Is this a common practice?

I once got the single cover page with my name and address on it from Coin World in a bag like that.

I now pay the extra fee to get my Coin World delivered in plastic wrap.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@SeatedToners said:

@BuffalolronTail

I was wondering the same thing...is this a common practice for the post office to put a damaged note on the box?

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    There is no excuse for damage like that. A claim should be filed. I'd squawk like a stuck pig.

I've had stuff go missing or damaged and just get this lame "sorry" stuff. NGC and PCGS guarantee their work, why not the usps? They make tons of money in their business, they should have extra insurance for dereliction of duty and damage.

I understand the frustration, but what is the claim? Damaged free paper?

We assign value to OBW rolls. I doubt the post office will agree that damaged paper has value, and even so, they will write it off as insufficient packaging, so squeal like a pig, no one will hear. :(

• Options

@mustangmanbob said:

I doubt the post office will agree that damaged paper has value, and even so, they will write it off as insufficient packaging

Exactly, that's why I bit the bullet... why go through all the red tape when I knew what the outcome would have been......good post.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeatedToners said:

It is. The Postal Service also sends them with damaged letters that had to be put in "body bags" and sent to customers.

The message starts with "We're sorry your letter was damaged".

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:

@logger7 said:

I understand the frustration, but what is the claim? Damaged free paper?

We assign value to OBW rolls. I doubt the post office will agree that damaged paper has value, and even so, they will write it off as insufficient packaging, so squeal like a pig, no one will hear. :(

Any lost or damaged items should be covered by their insurance. On claims there are several levels of accountability. Last stop on appealing claim denials is the office in DC. Too bad we can't sue them in small claims court.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    @SeatedToners said:

@BuffalolronTail

I was wondering the same thing...is this a common practice for the post office to put a damaged note on the box?

I got one once. It was actually for some document and 1/3 of it was ripped but hanging. They put it in a plastic bag with the same note from my local PO.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

@Mizzou said:

You must have worked at a PO at some time in the past (me too!)

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a sorry mess. I feel your pain.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

The apology note is a form note. There are a pile of them and used whenever anything gets damaged. They don't have time to handle everything gently never mind stop and write you an "I'm sorry" note. I once got a family photo mailed to me, it was ripped in half with half missing, inserted in a baggie, and attached with a note exactly like yours.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the box was in a bag it means it busted open somewhere along the line and someone "body-bagged" your package. I doubt every last cent is in there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file