Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New photo collectors

Been seeing alot more people get involved with photo collecting and wanted to share some advice for those new to the hobby or interested in starting a photo collection.

Make sure you buy what YOU like and what interests YOU. There are tons of great images out there and yes its nice to have higher end photos but there are so many cool photos out there in the $100-$300 range thatll give you just as much satisfaction

Dont EVER let someone tell you what your photo is worth. I dont care if its someone who has been in the photo business for 20yrs they can only give you what they think its worth. There is no price guide for photos and if you follow auctions youll see that prices are all over the place. Take for example a 1927 yankees team photo. Prices on those can range from 1k-5k. There is no set price for photos so dont let anyone tell you what your photo is worth because 99% of the time theyre wrong. Pay what you think is a fair price or what you think its worth.

Also Type 2's are a great substitute if you cant afford a Type 1. Majority of the time they are of the same quality and the nice part is you know it came from the photographers original negative. People want originals and i get that but TYPE 2'S are just as nice. The whole 2 year window gap is way to strict in my opinion and should be changed to 5 years but it is what it is.

One more thing is NO ONE can say for sure if your photo is a Type 1 unless there is a period date stamp on the back that conforms to the 2 year window. News stamps are not enough because most were used for a long period and unless you were there when the photo was printed nobody knows.

Paper type can in NO WAY alone tell you if a photo is a Type 1. It can only tell you if its vintage or used in a certain period. It cant tell you it was printed in 2 years. So people with blank back "Type 1's" can not know for sure that what they have is in fact a Type 1. Know that going into collecting and stick with what your passion is and dont let someone else dictate your collection

Comments