Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy's February 2018 LONG BEACH COIN SHOW REPORT w/lots of Pics!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2018 11:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've read some of the Long Beach show reports and I have to agree with them - this was one of the busiest and well-attended Long Beach shows in a long time. Thanks to Taryn and Cassi and the rest of the folks who worked hard to put this show together - from the fantastic Central America Ship of Gold, to the amazing Tyrants of the Thames display of "The World's Most Valuable Private Coin Collection," and even the Miller/Harrison Morgan Dollar set on display at the PCGS table. This was such a great show and I was so busy that I didn't even have a chance to take as many photos that I usually do!

I arrived early on Wednesday as usual to wait in line to get up to the loading dock which they usually don't open until just before noon, but I was very pleasantly surprised to see that they were letting people up right away. So I was able to unload and go park the car early which allowed someone else to do the same thing. Then we waited outside the loading door until noon.

The city is getting ready for the Long Beach Grand Prix and the course goes right in front and behind the convention center, so there is lots of construction activity along the streets.

Set up went quickly and smoothly and soon I was able to shop around the bourse for customer want lists and inventory. Throughout the show I found quite a few nice coins, several of which I sold during the show, as well as several great raw pieces.

After set up on Wednesday, we went over to a birthday reception at 555 for one of my favorite vest pocket dealers, Greg, who was turning 60. Greg's wife Rose put on a very nice party with some great appetizers.

Fellow dealers Gene Bruder and Bruce Braga

The next day when I arrived at the loading dock back door, there were two KTLA news vans parked by the door. I guessed they were there to film the ribbon cutting for the Ship of Gold display.

On my way to see the Ship of Gold display, I ran into these two error coin experts (Fred Weinberg and Jon Sullivan) wheeling and dealing together at Fred's table!

They held the ribbon cutting ceremony at the Ship display right when the public was let in and there was quite a crowd gathered around.

Don Pearlman read a letter from California Governor Brown and made the introductions

Mark Stephenson showed me the portal containing some large gold bars

The display was so amazing and I truly enjoyed having the opportunity to view such historical pieces!

This is the brochure they were handing out about the display

After viewing the display, I went back to my table and conducted non-stop business until late in the day. I was really surprised how busy the show was even in the afternoon. This picture was taken around 4pm on Thursday.

When things finally died down, I opened a bottle of my favorite Rombauer!

PCGS was giving out these adorable rubber super hero Collectors.com dolls, so I picked one up for my grandson.

After the show on Thursday, a bunch of us headed over to our usual Thursday night dinner spot, Naples Ribs. Before each Long Beach show, my hubby asks me if we're going because he looks forward to me bringing home all the leftover ribs! So this time, I even ordered ribs just to make sure he would be able to have his fill!

The guy across from the girl is Karl d'Amico, the lead guitar player of Missing Persons

Friday morning I took an opportunity to view the Tyrant display. There were so many incredible cases of coins, I decided to just photograph one.

I then went by the PCGS table and viewed the Miller/Harrison Morgan dollars display

The PCGS table was busy as usual!

I happen to catch David Lange and the folks at the NGC table helping Todd/BluCCPhotos and dealer/instructor Bob Campbell

ANA President Gary Adkins with Steve Ellsworth

After the show ended on Friday, we went over to King's Fish House for our usual wine tasting dinner.

On Saturday, I briefly checked out the Ship display again. The crowd viewing the Ship of Gold on Saturday was steady

Nina and the rest of the folks at the Kagin table were working very hard to make sure the auction at the ANA show in Irving is a hug success, and the catalogue is beautiful!

When I got back to my table right after the show opened to the public, I was surprised how busy I got. I had several customers right away, but one in particular made my show. He was looking for some pretty eye appealing coins and I sold him several beautifully toned Indian cent proofs I had just picked up at the show. Then he handed me his type set book and asked me to help him fill the first page with more eye appealing coins. Of course I had coins for just about every spot that was empty, and he seemed very pleased with the coins I had chosen for him. It was a fun experience for someone to have such confidence in me to let me choose the coins for his album. And he was a delight to deal with.

As some of you know, in my past life I was a litigation paralegal and worked at the Orange County office of Morrison & Foerster (MoFo) for 17 Years. This is my dear friend Dean Zipser who was the managing partner of MoFo back then (he now has his own firm). Dean and his wife Este came to the Long Beach Coin Show today to sell some old coins he had inherited so we got to do some catching up! It was so great seeing him again!!

So it was truly a fantastic show, all around, and I was exhausted when it was over and I finally got home! Whenever I'm away at shows my kids usually send me a pic of my cutey-pie grandson so he sort of becomes part of my show, and thus, my show report!

Then when I get home, I get to see my hubby and my sweet purring Penny in all her chubby glory!

That's it for now! Next up: The Buena Park show, then the PNNA Tukwila/Seattle show, followed by Baltimore!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report Charmy, thanks for posting.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for another great report. Especially appreciated including the writeup on the Ship of Gold Exhibit.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed the report very much. Thanks!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 8:38AM

Fantastic show report as always, @Charmy, thanks for posting these for all of us landlubbers who can't travel to see great things like the Ship of Gold and Tyrants of the Thames!

Numismatic activity seems to be alive and well! I think we should make @Penny ( :) ) an Honorary Member.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another superb report Charmy.... Thank you very much.... and the Cabernet was a great choice... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm Hungry :smile:
    Thanks for the report, all indications are that it was a great show :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report (as always).

The Ship of Gold sure has a good looking crew (minus the Captain and the first mate).

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Charmy - great report and pictures. Thanks for doing this.

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the tour, Charmy. Of all your photos, I would grade that grandson of yours a PCGS PR70. :)

I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. Great report!
    My Kitty : Jedi

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lovely report and how neat that you still have fun filling someones coin album!

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyable as always.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. I look forward to these as I get to see what some of the bigger shows across the country have to offer.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Report! You still took a ton of pictures! :D

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, we resemble that couple on your second photo of the Ship of Gold exhibit! That fool on the phone is me, but no doubt I was trying to get the camera ready and not texting or looking at Facebook.

Nice write-up!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

good god i love the looks of all that gold :)

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the nice report and the great pictures.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report as always!

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

Looks like the crowds are getting younger every year.

...it's about time.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report as usual. Thanks for posting.

I saw the "Super Set "at FUN in Tampa, truly amazing.

Wish I could have seen the Ship of Gold exhibit but your pictures made me feel like I was there in person. WOW! .....and talk about the history behind the whole thing.

Thanks again for posting.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the pictures, made me feel like I was there and it looks like the food and wine was as good as the show. Thanks for posting.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

Great job on the report and pictures of the LBCS Charmy! I enjoyed reading about it and looking at all of the pictures you posted. Keep up the nice coin show write-ups and pictures as they are fun to read and look at the pictures you take for us that are unable to make it to the shows. Also nice to hear what sounded like a great buying and selling show for you as well. I look forward to the next coin show write up you do.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic report. It looks like the shows are picking back up after a slumbering 2017. Great pictures. Thanks for the share. Now I’m hungry.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed your report as usual.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Nice report, Charmy. I'm glad I had a chance to come by and say hi.

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭

As always, an awesome report. Thank you for taking the time to do this always!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report and pictures, one of your best!

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2018 6:55AM

Great report Charmy! Good to hear about the upswing of activity at shows.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you everyone! I too am very pleased to see the Long Beach show and the market in general picking up! Hope to see some of you at the Tukwila/Seattle show and/or Baltimore - and be sure to let me know if you'd like to be in my show report. I get a lot of requests to see more forum member faces ;-)

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file