Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buying on Ebay-Strategy

TunisTunis Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭

I am starting to collect lower graded Capped Bust Halves. There is a ton of them on EBay at set prices, that I see week after week. These hardly ever sell. I have looked at them and passed because they are not very appealing or overgraded. When a seller posts a nice coin and “lets it ride” in an auction form, there are multiple buyers competing for the same coin. This gives me a kind of support knowing that I see a coin that is recognized by others as being nice. I can easily buy all the set coins I need but I would be buying the holder not the coin. It makes more sense to wait for auctions, correct?

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

depends ....

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always pick out a coin I want on buy it now, then wait for the bonus bucks promo and get the 10 percent bonus e bucks offer. currently one running now for next 28 hours

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, you should immediately stop collecting these until I finish.

Second, set your own standard of what you are looking for and then buy them wherever they are... specific sellers, auctions, etc. You are correct about ebay, there are tons of crappy busties on there. A warning, there are tons of bust collectors with fast trigger fingers on ebay so find your focus and stick to it and check frequently.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

sometimes.....actually I have many buy it now's on watch list, sometimes grab one with the bonus buck offers. Usually find a better coin for cheaper on auction if patient enough though. Not CBH but Peace and Morgans, sounds like same game though. I never bid over greysheet and always end up with what I want.....eventually.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

BIN's can provide the occasional opportunity....I have scored once or twice that way. More often though, I snipe auctions....does not always guarantee the cheapest price, but it does provide the coin and satisfaction. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    depends ....

Depends on what??

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy what I like. I hope everyone does. I think that’s correct.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    I always pick out a coin I want on buy it now, then wait for the bonus bucks promo and get the 10 percent bonus e bucks offer. currently one running now for next 28 hours

This is exactly what I do. Always wait for the ebay Bucks promo to do the buying

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Wait" is a 4 letter word. You wait for quality and quality alone, never price. If you see a coin that scratches your itch, and you do not buy it, it should only be because you cannot afford it. You forget overpaying for coin, you never forget "the one that got away."

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    depends ....

Depends on what??

On the coin and the price of said coin .....

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean that someone still uses eBay to buy coins?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2018 11:38AM

He ment someone still runs coin auctions on eBay and gives their coins away for pennies on the dollar.
    And yes I have been bitten by that bug a few times.
    All BIN's for now.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

Buying on Ebay-Strategy

Don't think you're going to pick up that auction item cheap. Be at the max of what it's worth to you in your bidding or you'll probably end up losing it to somebody who is just going to put it back up on Ebay at a higher BIN price. The good deals popping up with BIN's do not last long. Get your searches set in the system and check them often. Know a deal when you see a deal and don't risk losing it being tempted with the make offer if it's in place. Know all the tricks with Ebay Bucks Promos, Rebate Programs and credit card deals.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file