Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post Office Ate My Coin

I recently purchased a coin on ebay, and it just arrived today. I was so excited to get home and open the package! Unfortunately after I got the packaged and opened it, I wasn't so excited... the Post Office ate my coin! I'm now having to do an ebay return, which I've never done.

Question to our fellow forum members: Are ebay returns easy? I love the look of the coin, but I can't keep it in the slab with it looking like this. Advice?

I got home and found this waiting for me in my mailbox:

Comments

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, ebay returns are simple. Just open a case for the reason, and it gives you the postage to print, even if the seller denies your request. First message the seller and explain it to them and ask if you can return it without having to open a case though. As soon as it is returned you get a full refund.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a cracked slab arrive once. Coin was fine and overall the slab integrity was good, so I didnt mind that much. I told the seller, but we had worked together in the past without issues, so I let it go.

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    Yes, ebay returns are simple. Just open a case for the reason, and it gives you the postage to print, even if the seller denies your request. First message the seller and explain it to them and ask if you can return it without having to open a case though. As soon as it is returned you get a full refund.

thanks! I'm so disappointed. The coin is really pretty and its green beaned and everything! Never had this happen before

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    I had a cracked slab arrive once. Coin was fine and overall the slab integrity was good, so I didnt mind that much. I told the seller, but we had worked together in the past without issues, so I let it go.

I like the coin, but I'd have to send it back of to PCGS to get re-slabbed, then send it back to CAC and hope they green bean it again. I can find another one easier than that. I believe this would qualify as a "Widget" to some of our members.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would open the return claim with Ebay and send a message to the seller as well.

Returns are smoother for both sides when using the Ebay system.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    I would open the return claim with Ebay and send a message to the seller as well.

thanks! I clicked on the return link, and "arrived damaged" and then attached pictures of the package and its contents, and wrote a note saying I would be returning it because the slab arrived damaged.

That should be enough right?

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 7:50PM

@Coinstartled said:

@jwitten said:

Agree. In addition to your email, attach a copy of your photo for possible insurance claim.

It appears the bubble mailer was chewed up by the automated sorting machines. It's imperative, when mailing coins, that the mailer is at least 3/4", preferably 1" thick. This will avoid the letter sorting machines and the "Post Office took a bite out of my coin or slab" issues.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely notify the Seller. It's not his/her fault but it is their responsibility.

I'm curious if the post office is responsible?

Sic the dog on the mailman just to make a point.

j/k obv

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

@SeatedToners said:

@Coinstartled said:

thanks! I clicked on the return link, and "arrived damaged" and then attached pictures of the package and its contents, and wrote a note saying I would be returning it because the slab arrived damaged.

That should be enough right?

Should be. Expect a response shortly by the seller. if they don't get back to you, you will have to follow up with Ebay in several days.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was the slab just loose in a bubble mailer?

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

that is a nice coin...too bad it got chewed up.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

That damage looks confined to the corner. If there’s no damage by the coin itself, PCGS will reholder with the same cert number. CAC will re-bean with no issues and no re-evaluation at a reduced cost if the PCGS cert # hasn’t changed. Just send them the PCGS reholder paperwork.

If you really like the coin, the hassle to reholder and resticker might be worth it.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a seller this is very frustrating! I pay additional charges for non-machinable mail...yet they still try to run them through their mail chewing crap machines! So now I am supporting the bubble wrap industry. Instead of my slabs being in just a bubble wrap mailer inside cardboard they now have a couple of wraps of bubble wrap around a slab inside the bubble wrap mailer!

Make em fat or the USPS will chew them up!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really surprised the USPS left it in your mailbox without it at least being placed into a plastic bag with a note attached regarding the damage. I'm also disappointed that a seller would attempt to mail a coin in such a flimsy manner. You should be able to return for refund with no issues, but you may want to send the coin to PCGS for reholder (where it will get the same cert number) and then back to CAC for a new bean (where it should re-bean rather easily and at a reduced rate since it would have a previously evaluated cert number).

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of the big floppy plastic mailers. The little 4x6 padded envelopes work great.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a little late now to ask because I am just now seeing this thread, but did the package have insurance through the post office???

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top Rated ebay seller, looks like all feedback is on coins, 230 feedbacks this year, all positive.

Was the slab loose in the mailer? For something of that value, I would have shipped it AT LEAST in a small priority flat rate box.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2018 10:30PM

On a positive note, the PCGS holder did its job well and protected the coin from damage!

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a seller, I'll offer a few thoughts:

1- If you like the coin, perhaps you can just get it reholdered. The seller will likely have to do it anyway, and if there's insurance money, even though the net cost for 1 coin will be high, the USPS/insurance company might cover it. If you don't want to be on the hook, perhaps you can get a refund now, but agree to re-purchase the coin whenever it's fixed up.

2- If there's any chance there's any solution other than returning the coin for a refund or accepting a partial refund (perhaps to cover reholdering costs), don't open an eBay return. Once they're open, the clock is ticking and any creative solutions are off the table. I greatly appreciate getting a regular email so I can simply work with the buyer to reach the best solution. Once a case is opened, I can't do anything but follow the letter of the law.

3- Whatever you do, be polite. A lot of returns get opened with a curt message at best, and as a seller, it just makes me not want to work with the buyer. A full sentence and wording that doesn't come off as antagonistic can be really appreciated. Yes, if the seller doesn't want to work with you eBay will have your back, but there's no reason to start with the mentality that that's an option ready to be used. I'm not saying you were going to do this, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Jeremy

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dog used to do the same damn thing to my homework. Seriously, they, the post office, better fix it too.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jafo50jafo50 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

What amazes me is it costs the same money to ship the item in a padded bag as it does to ship in a small cardboard box. If you buy five or more 6x6x6 boxes at Staples the cost is $.59 per box. It's a poor business practice to ship a slabbed coin in a padded envelope. After all the slab is scratch resistant not bullet proof.

Just my opinion.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

3- Whatever you do, be polite. A lot of returns get opened with a curt message at best, and as a seller, it just makes me not want to work with the buyer. A full sentence and wording that doesn't come off as antagonistic can be really appreciated. Yes, if the seller doesn't want to work with you eBay will have your back, but there's no reason to start with the mentality that that's an option ready to be used. I'm not saying you were going to do this, but it's worth keeping in mind.

This is so very true. Civility goes a long way to preventing problems.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    Definitely notify the Seller. It's not his/her fault but it is their responsibility.

I'm curious if the post office is responsible?

Sic the dog on the mailman just to make a point.

j/k obv

Being a retired letter carrier, I must echo the comment "Don't Shoot the Messenger". Your mailman is the fall guy for everything wrong with the Postal Service.

I disagree with your solution, having been chased to the roof of a vehicle twice, bitten by dogs twice, and even bitten by a cat once.

Walk a mile in my shoes. Blame the idiots running the place.

Pete

Years ago the family had a dog that didn't like men in uniforms; always gave the postman a hard time even bit him once, legal liability kicks in, as well it should; now there is "animal control" to deal with wayward animals.

On the damaged parcel, that shows the merit of double bagging, or a box in some cases. First class shipments are cheap and fair, this is rare. I have shipped stuff, twice had a damage report where I had to pay for re-holdering, etc.. On one overnight express certified currency I had stamped "do not bend", and they did.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jafo50 said:
    What amazes me is it costs the same money to ship the item in a padded bag as it does to ship in a small cardboard box. If you buy five or more 6x6x6 boxes at Staples the cost is $.59 per box. It's a poor business practice to ship a slabbed coin in a padded envelope. After all the slab is scratch resistant not bullet proof.

Just my opinion.

I completely agree. The post office is what it is...we all know what they do...the seller should have known better.

My view on what to do...that's a very nice coin...I realize this may sound very silly, but if you're not looking to flip the coin...the coin is undamaged, and just the edge of the slab is damaged not interfering with the view of the coin...i would just keep it as is, makes for a "cool" conversation piece. :)

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 7:43AM

When using a bubble mailer the main thing is to get THICKNESS,

For a single low value coin, a few hundred dollars or less I use a 5 x 7 size bubble mailer. I fold the packing list and wrap with a rubber band around the slab. I then go to an old Coin World and rip the 2 center pages out then rip these apart and wad them up. I put one wadded page in before the slab and the other after the slab by doing the you increase the package thickness then seal the package and tape it. The extra padding brings the package to about 1 1/2 inches thick and I have never had any broked slabs or ripped packages since I started doing it this way.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

To echo a few above, if you love the coin maybe work out a partial refund for the cost of reholdering it. I think the seller would be much happier with that than a return and you keep your coin with a shiny new holder. Can send to CAC and they'll resticker for $3 using the same cert which is on file. And in the meantime add on $5 and get yourself a nice trueview.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 12:20PM

@SeatedToners said:
    I recently purchased a coin on ebay, and it just arrived today. I was so excited to get home and open the package! Unfortunately after I got the packaged and opened it, I wasn't so excited... the Post Office ate my coin! I'm now having to do an ebay return, which I've never done.

Question to our fellow forum members: Are ebay returns easy? I love the look of the coin, but I can't keep it in the slab with it looking like this. Advice?

I got home and found this waiting for me in my mailbox:

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 12:25PM

If I liked the coin I would have it reholdered and TrueViewed at my expense...along with some others to distribute the shipping fees.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the seller just tossed the slab loose into a bubble mailer then shame on him.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

What postage did he use? It should not have gone through a sorter right?

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Seller should have used a small "flat rate" box. They are free at the post office and with the Ebay shipping discount you get priority delivery for about $6. Bubble wrap the coin inside of the box and it will survive a nuclear blast.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

a nice reminder for us to not shortcut packaging, ESPECIALLY as cheap as it is. i usually do pretty well but need to step it up a notch.

thanks for posting and i'm glad for the seller the item wasn't lost or coin itself damaged.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

For volume, low margin items, priority mail doesn’t always make sense.

$6 per coin x 1000 coins is $6000 on postage.

$2.66 per coin for first class x 1000 coins is $2660

Wrap the slab in bubble wrap and throw in a bubble mailer and save the $3000. The buyer waits one extra day.

What happened to OP is extremely rare, and it sucks for all involved. However, the savings outweigh the extremely small risk of something happening to that slab.

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a case of improper handling and also insufficient packaging. Great looking coin though.

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

Same thing happened to me a while back. I've always been an advocate for boxes, especially for slabbed coins, but I've never been able to convince the masses.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jafo50 said:

Just my opinion.

I've shipped thousands upon thousands of slabs in bubble mailers over the last 15 years, to every corner of the glob, and I think one may have been damaged en route. I'm very particular about which bubble mailers I use as some are flimsier than others, but on the whole, I'd say I'm doing all right.

That said, at least for me, using the boxes you describe comes with actual problems. First, it takes a lot longer to build and then package a box than a bubble mailer. For orders with one item, I can probably do 2-3 per minute (maybe a bit faster on a good night) with bubble mailers; no chance if I'm building each box. All the more so if I'm filling the box with padding instead of just throwing the coin in a padded mailer and putting it in the box. Second is volume. When I have 75-100 packages going out, 6x6x6 boxes take up far more room than padded mailers. On top of that, I rarely go to the PO more than once a week, and no PO near me as after-hours drop-off for packages. I can, however, fit padded mailers in the boxes for smaller items/letters, making it far easier for me to send my mail. If I had to go to the PO daily during business hours, it would cost me a huge amount of time every week.

Finally, apart from a potentially higher weight resulting in higher postage, boxes are well more expensive than padded mailers, and multiplied over a large quantity for a volume seller, it's no insignificant. I checked my supplier (for an apples to apples comparison) and boxes were at least double what I pay for padded mailers, not to mention they take up way more space while sitting around waiting to be used.

@Mizzou said:
    Seller should have used a small "flat rate" box. They are free at the post office and with the Ebay shipping discount you get priority delivery for about $6. Bubble wrap the coin inside of the box and it will survive a nuclear blast.

A few thoughts here. First, the small flat rate box is one of the flimsiest boxes you can find. I get shipments with them all the time, and they're almost always crushed. For that reason alone I won't use them. Second, the boxes aren't "free." I can pay under $3 for a padded mailer and first class postage (not counting any insurance costs), or I can pay $6 for priority postage (which may save a day) and a "free" box. Since I never have buyers requesting faster shipping (ie, Priority instead of First Class) I'm guessing the $3 doesn't hold much value in terms of quicker shipping times, which means that box costs $3. If weight dictates using Priority (or in my case, insurance requirements for certain values) I'll use it, but otherwise, First Class is the better and more economical option.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 11:45AM

Return the coin.

The seller did not package it properly nor have a “fragile handle with care label”.

If shipx in bubble wrap parcel have wrapped up inside in bubble wrap making package thicker. A “fragile” sticker Sb attached. Shipping in a box is best.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    As a seller this is very frustrating! I pay additional charges for non-machinable mail...yet they still try to run them through their mail chewing crap machines! So now I am supporting the bubble wrap industry. Instead of my slabs being in just a bubble wrap mailer inside cardboard they now have a couple of wraps of bubble wrap around a slab inside the bubble wrap mailer!

Make em fat or the USPS will chew them up!

Too bad you don't believe in free returns :wink:

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tetromibi above has it exactly right. On a coin of that value a bubble wrapped coin in a bubble mailer (at least 1" thick per post office rules) costs $2.66 plus packaging. It automatically comes with tracking so I know when it arrives. I've sent out hundreds this way and have never had an issue. Many E-Bay buyers even leave positive feedback complimenting that the slabbed coin was "well packaged".

Mailing costs are always on the march higher. Wasting money on something under $500 just helps the post office's bottom line, not mine.

The cost of re-slabbing and re-beaning the coin make it easy to return. I'll gladly re-buy it once it's fixed.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 12:46PM

That sucks. I know where your coming from.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Return the coin.

The seller did not package it properly nor have a “fragile handle with care label”.

If shipx in bubble wrap parcel have wrapped up inside in bubble wrap making package thicker. A “fragile” sticker Sb attached. Shipping in a box is best.

A machine does not read a " Fragile " label.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 1:37PM

@Tetromibi said:
    What happened to OP is extremely rare, and it sucks for all involved. However, the savings outweigh the extremely small risk of something happening to that slab.

It happens more than you think. Out of many coins I purchased. I had received two shipments using yellow bubble envelopes with no additional padding./cardboard/ protection. The first one was a silver proof mint set and the case was cracked. My latest was a slab that had chipped on the edge .

• Options

@airplanenut said:

A few thoughts here. First, the small flat rate box is one of the flimsiest boxes you can find. I get shipments with them all the time, and they're almost always crushed. For that reason alone I won't use them. Second, the boxes aren't "free." I can pay under $3 for a padded mailer and first class postage (not counting any insurance costs), or I can pay $6 for priority postage (which may save a day) and a "free" box. Since I never have buyers requesting faster shipping (ie, Priority instead of First Class) I'm guessing the $3 doesn't hold much value in terms of quicker shipping times, which means that box costs $3. If weight dictates using Priority (or in my case, insurance requirements for certain values) I'll use it, but otherwise, First Class is the better and more economical option.

Apparently we're not talking about the same box because the small flat rate boxes are very sturdy. If these are arriving crushed then you need to have a talk with your postman. Also the boxes are free, you can take as many as you want for no charge from your local post office. What you're paying for is insurance, tracking, and guaranteed delivery within 3-4 days. And if that's not enough, you can put up to seventy pounds in the box for the same price.
    Your buyers may not request faster shipping but i'll bet they would appreciate it.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should have used a box for that. I would return it.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like the coin you can ask the seller for partial refund so you can send the coin for re-holder.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone's paying for the "free" box and it ain't the post office.

:)

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Someone's paying for the "free" box and it ain't the post office.

:)

Actually it is the post office, until you put something in it and ship it. Just imagine how many kleptomaniac's have a closet full of flat rate boxes and it didn't cost a dime.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file