Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Carson City Mint Building medal.

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

My new CC dollar got me rummaging through my "stuff" and I found this medal.

I...think... it's probably an ounce and that I...probably... weighed it when I bought it.

:)

Comments

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 6:18AM

I'm guessing that one is too big to have been made on the mint's own historic press #1 at the now State Museum.

• Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything from the CC Mint is cool.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 11:45PM

I like CC Mint pieces so this is cool. Would love to know more about it.

The CC Mint Coin Press #1 was in the CC Mint from 1958 to 1964 (in San Francisco before that and in Denver after that). Do we know if this press was used to strike these medals in 1964? I haven't found any information on whether the press was striking medals from 1958 to 1964 yet.

It says Shawnee Hills Medalists on it. Any idea if they are the designers, minters or both?

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Wow! Way cool.!.!

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@northcoin said:
    I'm guessing that one is too big to have been made on the mint's own historic press #1 at the now State Museum.

Here is a link to a "photo essay" regarding the Carson City Mint which includes a photo of the above referenced press.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/914924/remembering-the-pony-express-at-the-carson-city-mint-a-photo-essay

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice commemorative piece, but it looks as if it was struck by Shawnee Hills Medalists...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not struck in CC, but silver yes. They are fun to find.

bob :)
    PS: That was one hell of a celebration in CC in '64. Wonderful parade, lots of parties and great weather for the end of October! I remember it well. Too young to drink (18) but managed to find a little something to share with my girl.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2018 8:27AM

@AUandAG said:

PS: That was one hell of a celebration in CC in '64. Wonderful parade, lots of parties and great weather for the end of October! I remember it well. Too young to drink (18) but managed to find a little something to share with my girl.

That’s great you were there. It sounds like it was a great celebration.

Given the celebration and official status of this medal, this sounds like it may be a So-Called Dollar. Wonder if any of the SCD catalogers have it on their lists.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2018 10:15AM

@northcoin said:

Coin Press 1 could have struck a medal of this size since this is 1 ounce and only recently did they start limiting the medal sizes to a half dollar (30 mm). It was used to strike silver ounce medals for many years. The press was also at the CC mint in 1964, the year of this medal, but, from the discussion above, it seems like this medal was struck somewhere else.

• Options

This says it was minted at the Carson City Mint.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richard_k_covington/12366040864/

This just mentions the Shawnee Hills Medalists

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces114053.html

Who knows? I bought it with some silver rounds that came into the shop and liked the design so I didn't sell it.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm, never thought it was a CC made piece. But who knows?

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2018 10:14AM

It's possible that the CC Mint struck this. Here's some info on the first TAMS medal which was designed by Shawnee Hills Medallists but struck by another company, Wendell-Northwestern.

http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v19n47a15.html

The first assembly medal issued in 1961 caught my eye. Examples are found in one of Don's albums, but a set in a capital plastics holder caught my eye. It was in a box of mixed medals because the label on the holder said, SOCIETY OF MEDAL, TOKEN AND OBSOLETE PAPER MONEY COLLECTORS. It took me a moment to realize that it was indeed the first issue of TAMS. The medal was conceived by Roy C. Small, designed by the Shawnee Hills Medallists of Harrisburg, Illinois, and engraved by Robert B. Barron. William Bryant of Wendell-Northwestern in Minneapolis arranged to have the medal struck at minimal cost to the society.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice!!!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

I was there too...cool and clear weather. The biggest thrill was the "Cartwrights" riding their horses in the parade and waving. Pa, Adam, Hoss and Little Joe. Take care...
    CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like :)

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 1:15PM

Here's a side of the Carson Mint that is rarely shown. Top, before demolition; bottom, during demolition. (See **From Mint to Mint **for details.)

• Options

PMD

• Options

Here is part of the testimony during Congressional Budget Hearings for 1894. These resulted in the final closure of the Carson facility as an operating mint.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2018 7:54AM

The E-Sylum article I found above said Roy C. small conceived the 1961 TAMS medal which was designed by Shawnee Hills Medalists: "medal was conceived by Roy C. Small, designed by the Shawnee Hills Medallists of Harrisburg, Illinois".

This ad in the TAMS Journal of JANUARY - MARCH 1963 indicates that Roy C. Small was the President of Shawnee Hills Medalists and also TAMS member #179.

Anyone here know Roy?

https://archive.org/stream/journaloftokenme3n01toke/journaloftokenme3n01toke_djvu.txt

Thinking Of Having A Token or Souvenir Medal Struck?

Contact Shawnee Hills Medalists for all your needs in this line. No other organization offers all these features: Complete manufacturing and design facilities, copyright service, free advertising and publicity counseling, prospect lists for sales, helpful information on distribution and accounting methods.

Here is a partial list of our satisfied customers: Montana Territorial Centennial Commission; Covered Bridge Coin Club, Rockville, Ind.; U. S. Highway 287 Assn.; Childress, Tex., Chamber of Commerce; Phillips Co. Mont., Progress Assn.; McCreless Shopping City, Son Antonio, Tex.; Indiana State Numismatic Assn. (3 years); Kentucky State Numismatic Assn,; District 651, Rotary International, and many others.

For full information, write us, giving full details in first letter

Shawnee Hills Medalists,
    P.O. BOX 342, HARRISBURG, ILL.
    Roy C. Small, TAMS #179, President

• Options

What's the difference between an "Official Souvenir Medallion" and an "Unofficial Souvenir Medallion," preferably on a sunny day?

• Options

The extent of the discount.

• Options
    edited March 2, 2018 9:10AM

@RogerB said:
    What's the difference between an "Official Souvenir Medallion" and an "Unofficial Souvenir Medallion," preferably on a sunny day?

Here, I'm guessing it means it's issued by the State of Nevada or the Nevada Centennial Commission.

I’m thinking this might be an official So-Called Dollar similar to the official (vs. unofficial) So-Called Dollars of the Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition:

https://so-calleddollars.com/Events/Alaska_Yukon_Pacific.html

It’s great people here were at the celebration!

• Options

Why not a "so-called medal?" :)

• Options
    edited March 2, 2018 9:38AM

@RogerB said:
    Why not a "so-called medal?" :)

The easy reason is tradition. These types of items are already called So-Called Dollars by many including Thomas Elder, Harold E. Hibler, Charles V. Kappen, and PCGS. See the link to the Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition above.

I haven’t heard of anyone use your term but perhaps you can start and see if it catches on?

• Options

That they have been mis-named by bug names in the past is not an excuse to extend the confusion.

The original concept for so-called dollars was that there were medals of approximately dollar size that in some way resembled a real silver dollar coin, and were associated with some commemoration or special event. The initial H-K concept also included various 'silver issue' medals and related satirical pieces. There was never an attempt to be exhaustive or all-inclusive.

Certainly enjoy them, but leave the so-called dollars to their unique publication. Call these 30mm medals exactly what they are - medals.

• Options

What if I call them late for dinner?

.........grooaaannnn.... :#

• Options
    edited March 3, 2018 1:36PM

@RogerB said:
    That they have been mis-named by bug names in the past is not an excuse to extend the confusion.

I actually don't think there's that much confusion with So-Called Dollars. They are dollar-sized and not dollars, hence the "so-called."

I think there's much more confusion with things like New Haven Restrikes which have nothing to do with New Haven and also aren't restrikes. I tried for a few years to get people to call them by what may be a more appropriate name, Scoville Manufacturing Replicas. It didn't catch on so now I go with the flow since my main jist is to talk about the pieces, not debate the terminology.

The original concept for so-called dollars was that there were medals of approximately dollar size that in some way resembled a real silver dollar coin, and were associated with some commemoration or special event. The initial H-K concept also included various 'silver issue' medals and related satirical pieces. There was never an attempt to be exhaustive or all-inclusive.

The issue here is relying on HK as the initial concept since it came about 50 years after the So-Called Dollar term was created by someone else. A few people seem to think having a HK listing defines a So-Called Dollar. To me, this is like saying Judd defines what a pattern is and pieces not listed are not patterns. If a new pattern is discovered, is it not a pattern because it's not in Judd? Pieces are So-Called Dollars or patterns irrespective of whether they are listed in any given guide to me.

I also interpret the HK definition differently. When Hibler and Kappen say their work isn't meant to be exhaustive, I take it to mean they recognize that other pieces qualify as So-Called Dollars but are not listed in their guide because they couldn't cover everything. It seems like you take it to mean only what they listed can be called a So-Called Dollar, even though the term was created about 50 years before their guide by someone else.

Certainly enjoy them, but leave the so-called dollars to their unique publication. Call these 30mm medals exactly what they are - medals.

The fundamental difference is that I don't believe So-Called Dollars are restricted to those cataloged by a publication, especially one that was published about a half century after the term was coined by someone else.

Also, the 30mm pieces are half-dollar sized and called So-Called Half Dollars ;)

• Options
    edited March 4, 2018 11:49AM

The So-Called Dollar classification has some support because it's been recognized as such for over 10 years by ATS, as seen in this 2006 auction.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/medals-and-tokens/1964-cc-nevada-centennial-medal-ms65-ngc-brass-36mm-unlisted-in-hibler-kappen-this-1964-dated-so-called-dollar-medal-is/a/416-6563.s

• Options
    edited March 6, 2018 10:46PM

@AUandAG said:
    Here's another silver piece from the celebration (half dollar sized)

A cool thing about this piece is that it's struck by the US Mint using a design by Jack Cooney and dies engraved by Frank Gasparro. Both the "C" and "FG" initials are on the reverse.

• Options
    edited January 4, 2019 11:27PM

Just ran across this specimen which I thought was in nice condition with a very nice Capital Plastics holder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Nevada-Centennial-Carson-City-Official-Souvenir-Pure-Silver-Medallion-Medal-/332878138130

• Options
    edited January 7, 2019 10:44PM

Just across serial number 1861 which is owned by Paul Heinen of CarsonCityMorgans.com. Nice number:

http://www.carsoncitymorgans.com/Misccoins.html

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file