Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

WHOPPER POPPAGE!! BIG HIT REVIEW!! (PIC ADDED OF THE PSA 8.5 1958 Jim Brown ROOKIE)

UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 28, 2018 2:25PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I sent my PSA 8 Ultra Sharp and Bold 1958 Jim Brown ROOKIE in for review using premium service walk through. It took a little extra time to get into the PSA system due to the backlog situation. I told myself to just be patient. Late yesterday I checked my order status on the PSA site (I don't have the will power not to look). When I opened it up I just sat and stared in AWE. I didn't know if my eyes were deceiving me so I backed out and re-opened and the screen remained the same.

Proud new owner of a NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 --- 1958 Topps 1962 Jim Brown ROOKIE!! SO FLIPPIN' PUMPED AND PROUD OF THIS SPECIAL CARD!!

Will post a pic of the card in the new holder when it arrives!!!

Comments

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Huge bump...looking forward to seeing the card!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa. You used up all your bumpage credits on that one but it sure as hell was worth it. Congratulations! Definitely need a scan when you get that sucker back!

Arthur

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

Whats the value jump from an 8 to 8.5?

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Need to see some picts. Getting that card bumped is incredible. Congrats.

• Options

@alifaxwa2 said:

According to VCP last 8.5 = 84,800 VCP for an 8 = 6,700 and change.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Wow, that is a great bump based on VCP!! Congrats!!

• Options

@JBrules said:

@alifaxwa2 said:

According to VCP last 8.5 = 84,800 VCP for an 8 = 6,700 and change.

Wow...C-H-A-C-H-I-N-G!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 11:25AM

Ka-boom! Nice job.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, huge value bump, congrats!!

The question: sell it for the bucks or no? I'd have to let it go and do something with that chunk of change for sure.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

Have you seen the cards UFFDAH posts? I am pretty sure he can buy anything he likes without having to sacrifice the Brown RC.

Robb

• Options

Wow, congrats. That's a huge score. Well done.

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options

I tracked the card down in a PWCC April 2017 auction. It is truly an exceptional example that has beautiful color and outstanding registration for the issue...his facial features are actually discernible! Good get!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2018 12:10PM

Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate your enthusiasm especially coming from fellow collectors who have the vintage bug in their veins and love of the chase!! It took me a couple years to find the PSA 8 that I wanted to go after and did pay a premium as it was obvious this was a special card. I am a dork when it comes to scanning so when the card arrives I will take a respectable pic and post.

In the meantime I attached the following scans from PWCC.

The first pic is my PWCC PSA 8 which is now a PSA 8.5. The next pic is the PWCC PSA 8.5 that sold for $84,800. The last pic is one more PWCC PSA 8.5 from 2012. There are 2 more 8.5's that I don't have images of.

I feel like I have a VERY STRONG PSA 8.5 so also excited about that. I texted Brent after I saw the review results yesterday. It went like this...Me__"Brent. Do you remember that Jim Brown 8 I bought???"....._Brent"Yeah"..... Me"It bumped today to 8.5!!!!!!!"..... Brent"No way!!!!!"...... Me(sent a screen shot of PSA results)..... Brent** "Boom!!!"..... **_We were both pretty pumped as the card is a showstopper.

I feel totally thankful to have this card and understand a lot of stars have to align in a review from having tried other cards in the past.

First is my PWCC PSA 8 which is now a PSA 8.5.

The next pic is the PWCC PSA 8.5 that sold for $84,800.

Last is one more PWCC PSA 8.5 from 2012.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2018 12:18PM

UFFDAH...

Yours smokes the other two 8.5s. Comparing the three 8.5s...yours would not look out of place in a 9 holder. Bolder color and better facial resolution!

I am surprised PWCC didn't place a high end designation for the grade (psa-8) on the card even though Brent mentioned in the description it would not look out of place in an 8.5 holder. It still deserves the sticker as an 8.5! Eye popping to say the least...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score on the bump!!!

Congrats.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 12:28PM

outrageous 8.5 that Id consider bumping up again in a year or two.....might you go down that road?

• Options

No comparison in my mind to the other two 8.5's. You have a much better looking by a noticeable margin.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice win! They are so stingy these days and it also costs a ton to review. Makes it a very dicey proposition.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome bump! Congrats! I had the opportunity to buy this Brown 8.5 a few years back. Never pulled the trigger, and darn if I don't totally regret it.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    Awesome bump! Congrats! I had the opportunity to buy this Brown 8.5 a few years back. Never pulled the trigger, and darn if I don't totally regret it.

That is a sweet looking Brown 8.5. Bummer you didn't pull the trigger.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

That's a HUGE score. Very well done.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

i never understood why a company (psa) would ever bump a card higher...doesnt that mean they misgraded it the first time?

how does regrading a card instill buyer confidence in their estimations?

• Options

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Kazzammmmmmmmm

well done

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

That is the best Brown I have ever seen. Congrats to you.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options

I had a dream about that card last night :D

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Considering how tough that card is for everything, that is an absolute one in 100 million diamond. So many even in 7 land or even higher look like garbage. Probably the most important football card out there. Premium on the 8.5, tough to sell, however that would bring bank.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry you got the "Grader of Death."

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Hard to believe that was graded an 8...I would review it for a 9. It is mint worthy!

mintonlypls

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the bump. That’s a real beauty. I’m curious what declared value you used when you submitted? I have a card of similar value to this card’s value when you submitted it. At $5k, the cost of review is much higher than, say $4500.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2018 6:27AM

@UFFDAH I already mentioned it in a half hearted manner but seriously.....what odds would u give on this card being bumped to a 9 in say a year? Id say 30/70, 35/65....anyone?

• Options

gemint - I had a declared value of $20,000 (which is about what I paid for the card) and the service fee was $900. I hope that helps!!

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

beautiful card

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

Thanks baseballfan!

• Options

A few have mentioned going for a 9. The first pic is my 8.5 and then I found images of 3 of the 9's on the internet. I feel like my card can for sure hold its own against a 9. Of course I am bias but it really is a sharp card considering all the obstacles associated with a 58' Brown. The card is literally hard to stop looking at especially when considering it is now 60 years old.

The other thing that makes this card special is it has a story to go with it which is hard to come by. It actually comes from a 2016 'find' of opened wax boxes. The packs within the wax boxes were opened sometime in the late 1990’s according to the original owner. The opened packs were then carefully put back into the original wax boxes and stored completely uncirculated until the cards were re-discovered.

I will probably try for a 9 sometime but for now I am just going to enjoy the card as a high end 8.5 and admire it.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    gemint - I had a declared value of $20,000 (which is about what I paid for the card) and the service fee was $900. I hope that helps!!

Thanks!

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a hit, well done!

I am a huge Jim Brown fan and have said for years on this board he is undervalued.

I have two 7's and multiple lesser grades but nothing like that 8.5. I almost bought an 8 for 16K but it was during the massive price spike 2 years ago and I got cold feet.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious if anyone has a feel for the current valuation of the 8.5 grade? I ask because it seems like the $85,000 sale of the 8.5 is a product of the runup, with the four previous (2014 and earlier) sales all being in the $5000-8000 range.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

I would say the current value of a Brown 8.5 is closer to the earlier sales than the one that was recorded last year.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2018 5:31PM

Hey PaulMaul - SMR is $37,500. A PSA 9 sold for over $300K in 2016 and then another for over $300K in 2017 with an SMR of $225K. I was thinking $50K+ for mine. Today I reached out to two separate big auction company contacts outside of PWCC whom I have dealt with to get a feel of their thoughts. Both stated my card is very strong and appealing when compared to others in high grade. One stated there is a possibility of reaching $70-$75K. The other stated $80K+. So, I will assume $50K + although for now its not for sale.