Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1918P Mercury Dime. Just back from PCGS. What do you see?

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it a Straight Grade or Genuine Grade coin? Please give your opinion. Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 7:35AM

Looks good to me, but, hey, I wear glasses.

I presume not straight graded, or you wouldn't ask.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS also wished it a happy 100th birthday? :)

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 7:50AM

Because you're asking, I'll say cleaned or PVC/environmental damage. I say that because of the spotting across the coin and particularly on the reverse to the right of the fasces where it looks like there are some vertical lines, potentially from an eraser?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted in the context of the futzed-with 26-D, I am inclined to think this is one of those "trick question" posts. Looks like a middle-of-the-road uncirculated coin from here. If there are problems, they're subtle.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks to me like a straight grade coin.... I really do not see any issues. Stare at a coin long enough and we will invent issues....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually it looks lightly cleaned.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will guess straight graded, 64ish. I, like others posting, assume there is an issue you see or they saw.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe a light cleaning i think. jmo

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a weakly struck coin was tooled to make full band and mayby a hairdo on the obverse. High AU trying to be MS FB.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like the spots so I'll guess it is a straight graded 65 - unless the middle band has been strengthened starting at the left side. If the bands are not altered, I don't think they gave it FB designation.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

scratched

• Options

scratched

• Options

@jwitten said:
    scratched

where on the reverse from the A south, and partially removed?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@jwitten said:
    scratched

That would be my guess. It doesn't look too bad in the picture, but I'm guessing it did not straight grade since he is asking about it. Yes, it looks like someone tried to hide it possibly?

• Options

@jwitten said:

@Treashunt said:

@jwitten said:
    scratched

That would be my guess. It doesn't look too bad in the picture, but I'm guessing it did not straight grade since he is asking about it. Yes, it looks like someone tried to hide it possibly?

well, since I also saw it, I have to agree

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that didn't straight grade 63-64......call the police.....you were mugged!!!!! Like some else said...if you stare long enough you will think you see something. Especially if you blow a Dime up to the size of a dinner plate!! :D

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmental damage perhaps

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Its a Straight Graded dime at MS64. The reason I put it up for discussion was because of the very heavy obverse rusted die that was used to strike the coin. No one picked up on the rusted die so we will put this one to sleep.

Ken

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 6:20AM

The opinions on this thread went around the entire world!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@Fairlaneman said:
    Its a Straight Graded dime at MS64. The reason I put it up for discussion was because of the very heavy obverse rusted die that was used to strike the coin. No one picked up on the rusted die so we will put this one to sleep.

I was thinking it looked like a rather worn-out die, but didn't realize it was heavily rusted.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC is more likely to find problems on coins imo. A local dealer went around 17/17 on an economy this week at PCGS.

• Options

It didn't look like a very rusted die to me. I have seen rusted dies on Seated Dimes and had more of a pimply affect. I didn't see that on this coin.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    It didn't look like a very rusted die to me. I have seen rusted dies on Seated Dimes and had more of a pimply affect. I didn't see that on this coin.

Jon click on the original obverse picture twice and then you will see the pimple effect.

Ken

• Options

@Fairlaneman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Jon click on the original obverse picture twice and then you will see the pimple effect.

Ken

Ken...you are right. I didn't blow it up enough. You don't usually see that on Mercs.

• Options

Jon this is the only one that I have seen like this. 25P's are pretty common with rusted dies but the ones I have seen were not as severe as this 18P. I just wonder if PCGS maybe down graded the 18P a hair for the thick rusted die that caused the pimple effect. The coin has booming luster with really nice surfaces.

Ken

• Options

@Fairlaneman said:
    Jon this is the only one that I have seen like this. 25P's are pretty common with rusted dies but the ones I have seen were not as severe as this 18P. I just wonder if PCGS maybe down graded the 18P a hair for the thick rusted die that caused the pimple effect. The coin has booming luster with really nice surfaces.

1925 Peace dollars can also be found with splotchy corrosion on the dies.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file