Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I Accidently Won a Coin at Auction!

brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was having trouble getting online to the Heritage auction with my laptop, so I logged on with my phone. While waiting for the coin I wanted to come up for bidding I messed around a bit trying to get used to an unfamiliar (and tiny) user interface. The result: I accidently (really, truly, I swear) pressed the "bid" button and wound up sniping a coin I didn't really want. At first I was furious at myself - and at that tiny user interface on my phone - but then I actually looked up what I had bought and it didn't turn out so bad. It was a 1905 Liberty nickel in a PCGS MS66+ CAC holder (see below). Note that this happened before the technical glitch in the auction, so I pretty much had to bite the bullet. I put the coin up for sale right away, but I may decide to keep it and maybe start a Liberty nickel collection.

Comments

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

whoops! Sure is a nice looking coin though.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty of a nickel, and a 66+ !!

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2018 6:11PM

Your coin is very nice. I just purchased a nice 1911 for my Type Set...my one and only Liberty Nickel. I agree...kind of a sleeper coin that grows on you. Take care...
    CC

edited to add: MS66+ is a tough grade...

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks expensive...............but it's a very nice looking mistake if you like it and keep it. Congrats :smile:
    I like it :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2018 6:45PM

No shame in owning that coin.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

WOW! What a story.

If a person is going to be "stuck" with a coin....this example is definitely one to get STUCK with!! (especially on an accidental snipe!!)

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LeeBone said:
    I "accidentally" won a few coins in auctions before and didn't find out until the next day. Thanks, or not, Mr. Smirnoff... :s

Yes, and like the song says "My good Buddy Weiser".

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2018 8:28PM

That's a very nice coin. I'm a nickel nut. I like it. I have also won coins by "Accident." Twice. Both times with Heritage. My accidental wins were not as nice as yours. In fact they were not good at all. As in having an ACCIDENT. My fault. Just not fast enough or smart enough to deal with their system. No more third time accident. Lesson learned. No more auctions with them for me.

The most wise man I ever knew was a Captain in the U.S. Marines. He told me, when I was very young and even more stupid than I am now, something that I'll never forget. He said, " Once is an accident. Twice is a coincidence. The third time your DEAD."

P.S. He also told me that I was, " More stupid than the DIRT that I was standing on." What an insightful fellow!. God, I loved that man. Still do. He's a Sunday school teacher now. Go figure.

• Options

I just removed the 'buy it now' option on Heritage, so I think I'll keep it for awhile . . .

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    Looks expensive...............but it's a very nice looking mistake if you like it and keep it. Congrats :smile:
    I like it :smile:

It definitely wasn't cheap, but life is short.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's actually a pretty stunning coin.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really cool and I wouldn't mind keeping it if I were you.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't like nickels but I sure like that nickel.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first time I tried bidding on Hertige Live I clicked on a coin and put a bid in and wanted to see how long it took to load,,,,, I wasn't going to confirm the bid but what I didn't realize was I actually bidding and I won the coin. A $1,000+ Peace Dollar.

Nice coin, I paid for it.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could of done worse.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2018 11:36PM

The first time I used Heritage Live, I also ended up buying a coin for more than I wanted. It's almost too easy to click and pay more.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    The first time I used Heritage Live, I also ended up buying a coin for more than I wanted. It's almost too easy to click and pay more.

In an earlier session I literally sat on my hands when a really nice 1794 dollar came up for bid!

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that's really nice,

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's like having a car accident and finding the impact fixed a dent from a previous accident.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done the same thing, bid on something by getting trigger happy on HA. At least mine only cost me $40 and I have an 1866 Mississippi bond to show off.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice nickel.... I would be inclined to keep that one....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a beauty!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a happy accident. I don't know if it'd make me start a collection of them but it sure looks like a keeper.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's nice to know a few of you don't have your fingers on the nuclear bomb button...............oh, wow.......when did the sun start setting in the East and at 3:00 am in the morning?

Nice coin but.......how did you do on the coin you actually wanted?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much is it if I may ask? It is beautiful!!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Accidents happen. At least ya got some accident assurance.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a sweet accident! I'd keep it too! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file