Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My "BU" Morgan newp

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a blurry and gross photo of a "BU" Morgan sitting in the bottom of a shoebox. Bids were low and slow. I apparently ended up winning it. Free shipping + melt + five dollars.

The design is absolutely amazing to me. I have owned Morgans in the 60-64 range and this blows them out of the water.

What grade do you think it would catch?

I'm trying to learn Morgan grading a bit better.. these are some of my thoughts on where I'm looking and at what.

Liberty's hair pins are gorgeous, the eagle's breast, tail feathers, and end of tail feathers are spot on. The eagle's neck feathers and inside ruffles on wings are all there and wow I never knew how intricate these were!

I didn't even realize Liberty had such detailed wheat in her hair with leaves (which have all their veins) and her hair curls are enchanting.. the depiction of Anna Williams is one of the best I've seen. The folds of her Phrygian cap look amazing. The laurel is as immaculate as all the berries. All high points look great. Arrows and letters in motto and legend sharp.

The light reflected off of it hurt my eyes when I was taking pictures. Great eye appeal. The worst things I see are reed marks on her cheek, ding on bottom left of bust, light staple scratch by eagle's left wing (grrrrr...).

All the lettering is so darn perfect.

I've got a grade in mind, I'd just like to know if I'm right or close.

What say you experts?

First set of photos: closest to in-hand I can get. Crop slightly zoomed it making a little bit of blur

Second set of pics: more "honest" to make condition issues show better (yellow light, closer, angled).

Thanks in advance ladies and gentlemen.

Comments

• Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Either Details from cleaning, or AU58, or MS63. Can't tell from pics.

• Options

What aspects of the coin suggest it's been cleaned?

• Options

Hopefully these are better pictures. I know the shadowed lines show, but you can see the coin better if you zoom. Robs it of all the luster, though, and breast feathers.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that the Morgan design is beautiful and I have been collecting the series for the last 16 years. As for your coin, it may just be the lighting but the surfaces look off to me. Perhaps the coin has been overdipped or lightly cleaned or possibly rubbed. I think at best you are looking at MS62.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55 - if it grades

• Options

Eek. At least it was cheap!

If that's the grade range it sounds better off sent to the nephew than to TPGs.

What kills it?

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2018 1:40PM

I agree with overdipped, and the obverse looks decent but the obverse has an AU look to it.

1896 is a very common date and comes nice. There is absolutely no frost on this example which is why you are getting "cleaned" comments.

Here is an 1896 I bought and is what you'd want a nice unc coin to look like. (Assuming the toning doesn't make you want to vomit. ;) )

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2018 1:38PM

dupe

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

@clarkbar04 - I love seeing that yellow-brown tint in pictures. A lot of the time it's colored in hand. Nice example too that's a very pretty coin.

The bust half I scored with a blue halo and little turquoise gems with greens and some reds was completely yellow in the picture.

I was able to pull some colors out, at least.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1896 will likely grade at AU 55.... way too many marks both obverse and reverse...looks dipped.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice AU and you got a good price.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

Hard to tell but I see a MS-62 or so. The second set of pics makes it look as if it had been cleaned.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU....there looks to be some rub on the hair and breast feathers. Some marks in the major focal areas on the obverse combined with marks on the reverse will limit any grade. Can't really tell if it has been dipped / cleaned or not from the photos. Still for the price a decent example...

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the above, maybe a 62 but surfaces don't look original from the pics. Sorry to rain on your parade, just add it to your silver stack.
    Many sellers on ebay would(falsely) list this coin as 'GEM BU+++' or something similar, don't let them define your perception of a gem coin

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

This is not a high grade dollar IMHO, probably not even BU. I guess details, maybe a low AU. But you can't go wrong buying at that price.

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file