Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

When does PSA add new cards to existing sets?

I have two questions about the process of having cards added to existing sets in the Set Registry:

1) How quickly does PSA add cards after the are requested. I requested a couple months ago to have 2 players added to the 300 Win Club as Kari Lehtonen and Cam Ward joined the club. (And today I requested for Pekka Rinne to be added as he recently joined too).

2) PSA says it will have existing members of a set vote on which is the best card to be added. Where does this vote take place (what it the URL ?). I have had a number of cards added to sets that I am collecting but have never been contacted to vote.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 - it takes time. A few months on average.

2 - They seem to ask the guys near the top who have the most vested in the decision. The vote seems to be offered on a limited basis and PSA contacts who they see fit for voting. A couple of guys were discussing it in the PSA Registry Forum with respect to Post War HOF rookie cards - it may help to check it out for further insight...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Thanks. That is really helpful. I would think for some of the hockey sets I would hopefully rank high enough.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 9:50AM

2 - They seem to ask the guys near the top who have the most vested in the decision. The vote seems to be offered on a limited basis and PSA contacts who they see fit for voting. A couple of guys were discussing it in the PSA Registry Forum with respect to Post War HOF rookie cards - it may help to check it out for further insight...

I was not aware of this practice. I'm not so naïve as to not think some background discussions go on, but certainly not as a rule or ploy to allow the top set owners to remain on their perch. I own the Luis Tiant Master Set...nobody asked me when a couple of very OBSCURE cards were added to the Composition of the set. I was, needless to say, bumped from 100% complete to one short...3 times. I think the one that really got me was the Tiant Pickoff Card...one was printed in Italy, the other in the UK.

The difference between the two cards was on the back of the card written in about a 2 font pitch print that merely had different numbers. If you'd care to see this, please go to the Registry and see my digital set under Teddy Ballgame. You'll know when you get to the pickoff card, about 9 pages in a big yellow border on top...the front is identical and you'll need a magnifying glass to see the difference on the lower back. Makes you wonder why they allowed the second card...are we collecting mice type, or baseball cards??? Nonetheless, it was added to the composition, NO, I didn't have a vote.

I think what infuriated me most, was the person(s) who had these obscurities added, were not collecting the set, just had them added to the composition, for, IMO, to enhance the value of their card(s).

So, I would kinda challenge the notion that Orlando allows a "vote" at the top to add a card or not. Anyone in the pecking order of any registered set should be given preference over anyone else. To me, this is pretty much cheating, to allow personal gain at the expense of another.

It was always my understanding that if a PSA graded card, that was issued during the playing years of the player in question, and didn't fall within the "either/or" area, that eventually, the card would be added. I've had some added quickly (within a couple of weeks) and others that I had to follow up on, which were then added.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

For player Master sets there's no need for a vote, it either qualifies or it doesn't. For other sets (HOF RCs for example), there's a vote to decide which RC is included in the composite.

• Options

Who does the voting?

• Options

@MCMLVTopps

I am by no means an expert. Just what I've gleaned. LarkinCollector is sharp and I'm certain he's correct. I do not have any player sets at the moment. But I can see how that would be frustrating.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 7:09PM

@LarkinCollector said:
    For player Master sets there's no need for a vote, it either qualifies or it doesn't. For other sets (HOF RCs for example), there's a vote to decide which RC is included in the composite.

This. I've voted a few times for items to be added to the All-time Dallas Cowboys set, All-time Dallas Cowboys rookie set, etc. In each case, voters were presented with a few options to select from. In each case, that was the pool from which the card added to the set was selected.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Who does the voting?

I'm not sure if it's all the participants collecting a given registry set or a subset based on completion % or ranking. I don't personally collect any sets that have the voting, but have seen mention of if many times in the BB/FB HOF threads like here: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11826063/#Comment_11826063

• Options

Because I was a bit confused by this thread...too much ambiguity as to who votes, or doesn't vote, "they seem to ask the guys at the top", etc, etc.

So, I sent an email to Cosetta, who is away...and Gayle responded with the following:

"In regards to the player sets, there are no polls necessary. The rules are clear. Any card within the players play years will qualify for the set with the exception of cards with a limited print run of 1-3. Cards which may picture a player but make no mention of said player on the card are not allowed. Items that do not picture the corresponding player will not be allowed.

We do send out polls for Hall of Fame and Key Card sets and all members participating in the set are included in the poll."

The "all members participating in the set are included in the poll" which is what I was looking for. As I read the thread, it appeared that the top tier collectors were controlling the set(s), which is incorrect. Whether you have one card, or are at 100%, and are paticipating in the HOF and Key Card sets, you get a vote, which is the correct way IMO. I will assume "participating" means you have at least one card within the composition and have it in the set Registry.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Because I was a bit confused by this thread...too much ambiguity as to who votes, or doesn't vote, "they seem to ask the guys at the top", etc, etc.

So, I sent an email to Cosetta, who is away...and Gayle responded with the following:

"In regards to the player sets, there are no polls necessary. The rules are clear. Any card within the players play years will qualify for the set with the exception of cards with a limited print run of 1-3. Cards which may picture a player but make no mention of said player on the card are not allowed. Items that do not picture the corresponding player will not be allowed.

We do send out polls for Hall of Fame and Key Card sets and all members participating in the set are included in the poll."

The "all members participating in the set are included in the poll" which is what I was looking for. As I read the thread, it appeared that the top tier collectors were controlling the set(s), which is incorrect. Whether you have one card, or are at 100%, and are paticipating in the HOF and Key Card sets, you get a vote, which is the correct way IMO. I will assume "participating" means you have at least one card within the composition and have it in the set Registry.

In the thread I read, it was a group of guys with the highest position in the set that were helping to shape the set composition. Then, a vote was held about which ones would be recognized. It was a fun thread and my post was designed to reference it for the initial poster.

Not my bag but I thought some info was better than none.

• Options

I think for me, some clarity as to which sets PSA were being voted on was needed... it was about HOFers and Key Cards set. I just didn't read that as the thread progressed. I just thought it odd that any vote would be taken on sets other than those I mentioned.

Your link was good, just didn't clarify the sets in question. Got no dog in the fight, I only have player sets.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps

Really nice ones at that!

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Seems to be the going time. I think I waited more for one of my sets.