Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

***UPDATED RESULTS*** Batting .500 so far on my sub reviews. Avg. has dropped to .285

JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Managed to get my Dr. J. rookie to bump a half-grade. But missed on bumping my Bench rookie from an 8.5 to a 9. I have twelve more reviews that are due to hit any day now. If I can hit .500 on the remaining 12 I would be very very happy. When it comes to reviews I could just as easily go 0-12.

**Well results are in for the remaining 12. Managed to bump 3 out of the 12 a full grade bump. So ended up 4 for 14 batting .285. **

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
****1 1 28216670 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5** (PSA 8) **1972 Topps 195 Julius Erving Card****
2 1 27627042 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1968 Topps 247 Reds Rookies Johnny Bench/Ron Tompkins Card

3 1 24151368 MINT 9 (was PSA 8)1965 Topps 581 N.L. Rookie Stars Perez/Collins/Ricketts Card
11 1 26968109 MINT 9 **(was PSA 8)
1971 Topps 100 Lew Alcindor Card
12 1 26231115 MINT 9 _(was PSA 8)_ **1968 Topps 110 Hank Aaron Card****

Comments

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

well done! crack out or straight crossover?

• Options

Straight crossover. Thanks.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would love to see the Bench 8.5 - been looking to add an 8.5 or 9 at some point.

• Options

@KendallCat said:
    Would love to see the Bench 8.5 - been looking to add an 8.5 or 9 at some point.

Here is the Bench. Thought for sure this had a great chance at bumping to 9.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Bench. Not surprised you got a bump with one of your cards David, you've got a great eye. Good luck with the rest.

Steve
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

I wish i had your eyes!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

@KendallCat said:

Here is the Bench. Thought for sure this had a great chance at bumping to 9.

Thank you for posting the photo. I agree it looks like a potential bump. That is the hard thing about 68’s and that plaid pattern - can’t see anything good or bad on those cards. Thx again.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Bench Rookie JBrules!!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 7:37AM

The front looks great on the Bench. I always think it is easier on 68’s to see corners on the back. Centering and print would look right as a 9. Love the 8.5s - in my opionion closer to the typical 9 than the typical 8 in most cases.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have a pic of the Dr. J (pre or post bump)?

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    Do you have a pic of the Dr. J (pre or post bump)?

Here you go. Looks like I am going to have to send it back to get reholdered. If you look at the 8.5 example you can see a blemish on Dr. J's. fro. It is not on the card or on the outside of the holder. It is on the inside of the holder. I will have to contact them and I am assuming they will take care of it. Not complaining looks to be an honest mistake. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

imageimage

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Do you plan to keep the Dr. J?

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

That Julius 8.5 is pure butter NICE!!!.....If/When somebody busts out a PSA 10 GEM MINT that card might garner a metric ton of cold hard cash.

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    Very nice. Do you plan to keep the Dr. J?

I have another 8.5 and 7 so might be willing to part with this one.

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Those are some great results with your reviews. I can't really tell with your Dr. J, but I have a couple of cards where it looks like a piece of the holder (a shard of plastic) is inside the slab. I always assumed this happened when the slab was sealed. Would be nice if PSA would clear this up. Hopefully no charge for you on a re-holder.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

It's always nice to get about $2,000 in value added to your collection because of buying smartly.

• Options

@ZTarg said:
    It's always nice to get about $2,000 in value added to your collection because of buying smartly.

Thanks. I always assume the worst case when sending in (so as not to be disappointed with results) cards for review. It is always a great feeling to get validation on a card that seemed under-graded and is confirmed.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go!! Great results