Home Metal Detecting
Options

Used Metal Detector?

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was considering upgrading what I have(simple low end Bounty Hunter) to something nicer but dont want to break the bank, so I thought about a used detector. I thought about something that could get a bit wet(that could handle the beach when I go) and could penetrate much deeper. Are used metal detectors worth the trouble? I would use it at the beach and both in the mountains on some of the old farms I have permission to be on. Suggestions??

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used metal detectors can, sometimes, be a good deal. If someone has stopped the hobby or upgraded, you might find a reasonable priced unit. Be careful... and take it for trial runs as well. I always preferred to get new ones...but that is a personal foible...same with cars. If you find one you are interested in, you can always ask questions here... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I accidentally backed my truck over my Whites XLT destroying it after 20+ years of great finds. I did lots of research and ended up buying a Garrett AT pro. The advances in technology and quality is amazing. The unit can be totally submerged with optional waterproof headphones although it comes with land phones. I get great depth and discrimination in various soils. Beach sand is more challenging but doable with adjustments. I strongly recommend this product to you. I recall paying 800+ in 1994 for the XLT and only 500 for the AT pro. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69...Hi Roy, thanks for the recommendation.... I have always been a White's user, however, I do know Garrett makes good products. It is good to hear about the new technology.... With six machines, I am not likely to be in the market anytime soon... but would certainly look at the AT pro if I were.... Cheers, RickO