Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting ANA Summer Seminar Item

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this yesterday at the Houston Coin Show, in an 'Everything $1' bin because I thought it was interesting. It is a piece of soft metal about 3" wide with a hole punched in it and struck at both ends with a pair of dies that has a 3c nickel piece obverse (dated 2004) paired with an 'ANA Summer Seminars' reverse. I'm assuming this was used in a seminar about minting coins- can anyone tell me more about this piece?

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely Gallery Mint (Landis and Rust). Those folks were regulars at the Summer Seminar in that era.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2018 5:49PM

I agree this is a Gallery Mint Museum piece by Ron Landis and Joe Rust. I should have some of the regular tokens in my “cataloging desperately needed” GMM collection. For $1 you did really well. I collect GMM pieces and would pay over $100 for that.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    I bought this yesterday at the Houston Coin Show, in an 'Everything $1' bin because I thought it was interesting. It is a piece of soft metal about 3" wide with a hole punched in it and struck at both ends with a pair of dies that has a 3c nickel piece obverse (dated 2004) paired with an 'ANA Summer Seminars' reverse. I'm assuming this was used in a seminar about minting coins- can anyone tell me more about this piece?

Cool :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:

That is neat.
    Most likely made out of pewter (tin & zinc "white" metal).

It appears that the hole was punched prior to the die impressions. The hole was distorted (non perfectly round) by the nearby die strike.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

really neat item.
    I'd have paid a whole $2!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find and for $1 a great buy.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2018 8:48PM

I executed a couple similar ones at the 1996 Summer ANA Seminar.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Joe Paonessa does most of the Summer Seminar dies now, although I don't know if this was the case then. These are struck at the ANA's "Mini Mint," which can be scheduled by classes at the Summer Seminar. They have a hot plate for melting pewter, ingot molds, a pasta machine (not really) to draw the ingots into strip, a punch press for making the blanks, a Castaing machine to do edge lettering, and a small screw press. We take the Morgan Dollar class there on the last day to have some fun striking stuff and seeing how errors come to be. All they ask is that we don't clash the dies.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty darn cool.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes Ron would step in and make one. He demonstrated a "Teddy Bear" and gave it to Mrs. carabonnair when we attended the CREATIVE ERROЯS seminar.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible. Someone left a lot of money on the table and someone (you) got a great deal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file