Home U.S. Coin Forum

No Great Deal Today, Yet Pleased. 1838 Capped Bust, Reeded Edge- Half Dollar.

PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased this raw today at local auction in Mendon, OH. Not too flashy, or, doggy: just an honest, original half that I needed for my collection. I thought I was going to get this one for a significant discount; yet, a late bidder jumped in and ran me up to $175. I paid top dollar, but happy It's in the collection. Sometime's it's gotta hurt I suppose.

What do you believe is the grade? Thanks.

Comments

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 50 - 53 or so to me.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

35 ... the strike problem evident on the obverse between 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock is bothersome. It's a coin I wouldn't have bid on.

All glory is fleeting.
  • PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    35 ... the strike problem evident on the obverse between 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock is bothersome. It's a coin I wouldn't have bid on.

Yes, point well taken. The stars in general area, as you described, aren't completely faded as the rim, nor too evident- seen worse. Rim doesn't bother me as much- I was just tickled to find this original / raw. Shoot, she's 180 years old, and original. Good enough for me, may be no beauty queen...however, all the more reason for her to want to stick around and not leave me...heehee.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. 40 on a good day.
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason.....I love the holder (and the coin)!
    Brings back memories...............

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF40

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with you chum :)
    You got a very cool coin that you like...always gonna be someone who got a better one or a cheaper one.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

45 is a good guess. Nice coin.
    Lance.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

First look 45. Congrats on finding a pleasing coin for your collection!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

nothing wrong with filling that hole in the album. it looks neat and id say its a 45. jmo

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old coin.... I would say 40-45..... The important thing is that you like it and are happy. Cheers, RickO

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF 40, and I think you got a pretty good deal, assuming the 'juice' pushed it to around $200 or so.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 40'ish to me and very nice for a 7070 album.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd think EF is reasonable on that, those coins seem to get graded a little liberally compared to the earlier Bust 50c.s.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin, 40-45 for me too

• tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭

I think it is a solid 45 possible 50. Very nice honest coin.

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, original coin. Great pickup. 45.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

What a coincidence! I also purchased an original 1838 this week for about the same price. For reference, mine is certified XF40 by NGC and to me, the two coins appear to have the same level of wear.

I haven't gotten my camera out yet, so please excuse the poor images....

Zach
  • PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice example, thank you for sharing!

I was teetering closer to VF-35 on mine; with best case XF-40- price was $175 out the door, no premiums / tax. Good to see many in that ballpark with grade, and a bit higher.

I'll be sending this one out to our hosts here in near future, along with a few others.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file