Home Precious Metals
Options

What really happens during hyperinflation

rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

It’s 94 pages of a diary of an Austrian woman during the Great War. Thought this would be if interest on this board.

https://archive.org/details/Blockade-TheDiaryOfAnAustrianMiddle-classWoman1914-1924

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2018 8:36PM

I'm very much fascinated reading this. Thanks!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220

I had read some long excerpts from this diary, but never could find the whole thing before now. Very many thanks for posting it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link... this is very interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very painful to read.

Of course, afterward we can collect some very interesting notes:

• Options

I've read it a couple times. very interesting.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

It really depicts how awful hyperinflation is. It also shows that gold and silver is not going to get you through hyperinflation. It can only serve as wealth preservation once you get on the other side of it, assuming you don’t starve to death, die from lack of medical care or meet some other horrible fate.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:
    It really depicts how awful hyperinflation is. It also shows that gold and silver is not going to get you through hyperinflation. It can only serve as wealth preservation once you get on the other side of it, assuming you don’t starve to death, die from lack of medical care or meet some other horrible fate.

Gold and silver could help. But...... if the rule of law breaks down then all valuables are subject to being taken by force and being killed for your gold is probably worse than never having it to begin with.

Lots of people watch TV and think they would fight for what is theirs but truthfully if someone sticks a gun in your face and says hand it over you are going to pee your pants and then hand it over.

It never goes down like they show it on TV . No one refuses to hand over money if threatened because lets face it , if you do that and they shoot you they will take what you have anyway.

Its like the school shooting in florida yesterday , some idiots on the TV were saying , students if you are trapped , then mass rush the shooter and overwhelm them. They can't shoot all of you. My immediate response to that was , "you first buddy" Lets all mass rush the shooter but since you thought it up , well then you go first and I'll be right behind you , I swear