Home Metal Detecting
Options

Silver Beach yesterday: 8 silver coins!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 15, 2018 9:19AM in Metal Detecting

When I went to Silver Beach a couple weeks ago, I was shocked to see the ocean frozen and beach snowed in. Was worried yesterday that it’d be the same. Fortunately all was thawed and I wanted to try a new 17” coil for the CTX.
It’s a bit heavy but within 10 minutes had two wheat cents. Then got a deep 12-40 (roughly a wheat cent signal but not quite). Out of the hole I got a war nickel. Figured there was something else in the hole because there’s no way it should signal that high. Scanned the nickel and found that it was in fact the signal. What the heck? Any ideas why it’d ring up so high? I will weigh it soon to see if maybe some of the lower conductive metal was leached (leeched?) from it. No idea why.

The coil does seem to get deeper but was hard to pinpoint and getting it down into the holes was hard because the hole had to be made bigger to fit it.

Ended the day with 6 silver dimes. Two of them make me sad how thin they are. Also got a war nickel and a silver Washington.
Some other notables are a 1937 buffalo nickel, 14 wheat cents, older toy car, junk jewelry, and a catholic pendant that looks silver but I feel it may be lead or similar metal.

Guess silver beach is still going. Really wanted a piece of gold though. There has to be one more piece there right??
Happy hunting!!

Comments

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a fun way to discover little surprises....the gold one will eventually surface for you. How is your back?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great finds @pcgs69 .... I am constantly amazed at how much you find at that beach... it must have been a spectacularly popular spot for a long while.... I am sure there is at least one more piece of gold there...likely a ring...or maybe two...Perhaps get a water coil and do some wading this summer....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go again. :):) Never a dull moment for you

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been a long time since I had a day like that.
    Congrats

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool finds... looks like a successful day with the new coil!

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

I always enjoy your reports pcgs69.....thanks.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I was at the beach after a noreaster, working the cut. I saw a front end loader come into the beach and start digging tons of sand from under a section of damaged boardwalk. I continued swinging my coil when I saw the loader guy took the first load of sand, dumped it near me and took the bucket and spread it out for me. He did that with several more scoops. I thanked him and proceeded to find hundreds of coins, trinkets, jewelry and an unopened can of Valley Forge beer from the 1950s. I love the beach. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Wow... what great good fortune... and really nice of the guy....Any really good rings?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

All silver or base metal. Couple of church key style can openers, house and car keys, arcade tokens and lots of coins. Mercury dimes held up well in the sand, buffalo nickels did not. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69... Thanks for the breakdown... must have kept you busy for a few hours.... what a great day MD'ing at the beach...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Pictures! We want pictures!! :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!