Home U.S. Coin Forum

Railroad Crossing Coin Collection

Exactly what it sounds like, a few coins that I picked up from around the railroad tracks. You have to be very careful now hanging around railroad tracks. On the mainlines, the joint bars that hold the sections of track together have been replaced with welds. You no longer hear the old clackity clack of the train coming, it's almost silent until it's right on top of you.

Comments

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

I used to make those as a kid, off the MBTA train running through West Concord, MA. Many would be mangled, but perhaps 20% made a nice smooth result. And 5% were never to be seen again.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2018 6:21PM

I have a few like that, grabbed up while waiting once for the Caltrain (train runs once per hour on weekends).

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@itsnotjustme said:
    I used to make those as a kid, off the MBTA train running through West Concord, MA. Many would be mangled, but perhaps 20% made a nice smooth result. And 5% were never to be seen again.

Looks like @Leroy found your last 5% ;)

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great collection :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@itsnotjustme I did the same as a kid in Arlington, with the freight trains. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@itsnotjustme said:

I did the same, back in the early 1960's, on Long Island, NY

Frank

BHNC #203

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats cool to see.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We did that as kids.... only cents though.... money was tight....The freight trains that come through here are not quiet... you can hear them coming for miles...plus they sound a major horn at crossings... a lot of them in this area....A lot of those cents were never found....Occasionally, I think back on those cents and wonder if we ever put a copper '43 cent on the tracks... :o ....Nah.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too tried it, once. The penny came flying out at the speed of light and scared the crap out of me. Went by my head at a 1,000 mph only to strike the side of a business with enough force to have the owner come running out wondering who was shooting at his building. I ran like heck, never to attempt that again!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Trains Make Me Lonesome"

I was 5 years old
    When Daddy started packing
    And I stood there by my momma
    As she cried
    And the next thing that we knew
    Some old train came passing through
    And Daddy got on board
    And we ain't seen him no more

[Chorus:]
    I wonder why trains make me lonesome
    It happens everytime that engine moans some
    And when I hear that whistle blow
    It makes my heart sink low
    And I wonder why trains make me lonesome

It was a cold dark night
    When I drove her to the depot
    There were tears in my eyes
    And a ticket in her hand
    And as we stood there by those tracks
    I knew she wasn't coming back
    So I turned and walked away
    But I still miss her today

[Chorus]

Those ink spots look engine No. 9
    And this couch on which I lay
    Suppose to haul my blues away
    That old pipe you keep toking
    Is like an old cold enging smoking

[Chorus]

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/georgestrait/trainsmakemelonesome.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfcjYoCMPXg

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • As a recently retired railroad track inspector please stay away from the tracks.

When inspecting I was always spotting coins left of the track waiting to be squished and picking them up. One time this guy says, "Hey, those are my coins." I said, "These are my tracks." I made $1.50 that day.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@itsnotjustme said:

Our specialty was 11c pieces from squashing a dime into a cent. :)

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@itsnotjustme said:

Our specialty was 11c pieces from squashing a dime into a cent. :)

Now that's something I should have did.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's never too late. ;)

I may try that with my son :smile:

• oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

I have what is now a 35 cent piece as I placed a dime over a quarter and the UP engine hit it just right in that you can see the dime details in the middle and after the crush it came out perfectly semitrical.

I played golf until back problems took the fun out of it. I never could figure out why some golfers mark their ball on the green with a coin, especially when another player has to put very near the coin and possibly throwing their put off line.

I feel a person could make a large sum of money by getting new pennies flattened by a train and engrave all the large college details on the thin pieces of metal and have a user friendly marker. Pennies are worthless (common dates) and no one seems to want them. Cost to make the ball marker are very low and the finished product would sell for at least five bucks.

If you like my idea and start making a significant of money all I want is a 10% profit interest for the idea.

I live in Texas and as bad as UT, Texan and Aggie football is the fans still buy all sorts of things with their college on it i.e. golf balls. Its the simple things that make most of the new millionaires.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

'It Takes a Lot to Laugh,
    It Takes a Train to Cry'

-----Bob Dylan

'Well, I ride on a mail train babe,
    You can't buy a thrill'

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "You no longer hear the old clackity clack of the train coming, it's almost silent until it's right on top of you."

And when that happens, it will be truly silent. ;)

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was really good at that as a kid. we put the quarter penny or whatever on then waited.

Good old days

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2018 11:30AM

Someone convinced me when I was young that putting a coin on the tracks would derail the train....so I was too afraid to try it. :)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2018 1:10PM

The New Hope RR in New Hope, Pa finally finished the restoration on there steam #40.
    While waiting to record the event I put a 2017-P Lincoln cent and another one on the track.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

“a few coins that I picked up from around the railroad tracks.”

...that you found or made?

• LeroyLeroy Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:
    “a few coins that I picked up from around the railroad tracks.”

...that you found or made?

I actually found all of these, I used to work on the railroad and you could usually find these after removing the rails on a road crossing rebuild.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file