Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carr's Happy Halloween Token

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 10, 2018 10:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Two versions of this just sold (Feb 9) with additional mintage information. From a previous auction, it was mentioned that the enamel was done by SilverTowne.

Enameled Satin - $269.95

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CMG-Mint-Daniel-Carr-1-Oz-Silver-Art-Round-Halloween-2014-Enameled-RARE-/222832024769

Satin - $227.50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daniel-Carr-1-OZ-999-Silver-2014-Halloween-Art-Round-XXX-RARE-/232654694232

Here's the info from the Moonlight Mint Catalog:

• Satin - 74
  • Proof - 36

More information from the some the recent auctions which indicates 30 of the Satin version were enameled.

• Enameled - 30
  • Satin - 40
  • Proof - 30

The numbers don't exactly add up so, if we go with enameled at 30, we may actually have:

• Enameled - 30
  • Satin - 44
  • Proof - 36

Comments

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a commissioned piece for CMG. They wanted it to look "cute", with little kids.
    I didn't know that they were going to have any of them color enameled until I saw one on the market much later.
    So I don't know how many of the 74 (satin) and/or 36 (proof-like) were colored.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018 5:53AM

Zoins, try this, look at first 3 images. Total numbers off by 10, no telling where they are.

http://www.silverartcollector.com/itemsbymint.php?id=170

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are selling for a significant price for enameled rounds.....They are interesting, but still surprising.. Cheers, RickO

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite Dan pieces, very different from the others. I snagged a satin and proof last year. The proofs rarely come up.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Zoins, try this, look at first 3 images. Total numbers off by 10, no telling where they are.

http://www.silverartcollector.com/itemsbymint.php?id=170

Nice. Both the auction mintage figures and the previous SilverTowne attribution match the info on this site.

Here are the direct links and the image of the enameled version showing both mintage and SilverTowne.

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Carr-O-Ween to everyone !

Dan Fan
    edited February 11, 2018 10:28AM

Here's my only one so far which I picked up a while back. I got it because I love Dan's creativity on the design and thought it was neat as an enameled piece.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a good idea,,,,, Dan should issue a new:

Halloween Round every year
    Christmas Round every year
    New Years Round every year
    Easter Round every year
    4th of July Round every year
    Veterns Day Round every year

GrandAm :)

@GRANDAM said:
    That is a good idea,,,,, Dan should issue a new:

Halloween Round every year
    Christmas Round every year
    New Years Round every year
    Easter Round every year
    4th of July Round every year
    Veterns Day Round every year

Chris Geiner, who commissioned this piece, seems to do a lot of holiday pieces like this. Wonder if he'll commission more.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice piece. Dare I say it but the colorized one looks great.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look of them. Especially the enamel. But knowing that it was an aftermarket application not done by Dan it has always put me off on buying one.

The more you VAM..
    edited February 11, 2018 11:36AM

@CascadeChris said:
    I like the look of them. Especially the enamel. But knowing that it was an aftermarket application not done by Dan it has always put me off on buying one.

I wouldn’t say these are “aftermarket” since they are commissioned and distributed by Chris Geiner who appears to have had the enamel done. If Chris contracted Dan to strike these and SilverTowne to enamel these, this would be an official Geiner product with part of it done by Dan. Dan never offered these so Chris’s offerings are the only ones to be had.

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

Recently back from the plastic factory.

@felinfoel said:
    Recently back from the plastic factory.

Those are an awesome pair if I've ever seen one, impressive to say the least..Double Dang !!

I wonder if ANACS would slab an enameled one?

• CMG mint commissioned the making of 100 total silver. 30 were enameled by Silvertowne. CMG was notified today "The extras were test strikes, setup strikes, coin press adjustment strikes, and/or imprinting tests." CMG states that these were not authorized and any test rounds should have been destroyed.

It's probably inappropriate to ask but I am very curious what it costs to have a design created and only 100 medals struck. Must not be too unreasonable if CMG felt it was worth doing.

• I had 40 satin, 30 prooflike and then 30 enameled done. Dan Carr did not do the enameling. Anythign above that was test pieces he did when minting.I went elsewhere for that because he did not offer it. I have had many designs minted but just the one with Dan Carr. It costs a lot to have a piece minted. and there are many variables. It depends on what you are looking for and how detailed you want to ger.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my cup of tea.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

@cmgmint86 said:
    I had 40 satin, 30 prooflike and then 30 enameled done. Dan Carr did not do the enameling. Anythign above that was test pieces he did when minting.I went elsewhere for that because he did not offer it. I have had many designs minted but just the one with Dan Carr. It costs a lot to have a piece minted. and there are many variables. It depends on what you are looking for and how detailed you want to ger.

Would you consider having more done by Dan in the future?

• of a diiferent design

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

But can he create in Halloween cookie?

Was there consulting or a back-&-forth on design refinement?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmgmint86 said:
    I had 40 satin, 30 proof-like and then 30 enameled done. Dan Carr did not do the enameling. Anything above that was test pieces he did when minting. I went elsewhere for that because he did not offer it. I have had many designs minted but just the one with Dan Carr. It costs a lot to have a piece minted. and there are many variables. It depends on what you are looking for and how detailed you want to get.

Note that the few extra test strikes were never released and I never sold any or traded any or gave any away.

To get an ide of the current costs for a commissioned minting project, I have a page which illustrates the costs for the various aspects of such a project: moonlightmint.com/services.htm

@dcarr said:

To get an ide of the current costs for a commissioned minting project, I have a page which illustrates the costs for the various aspects of such a project: moonlightmint.com/services.htm

Thx! I had never noticed that on the site before.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file