Home U.S. Coin Forum

Some 1879 S Morgan Dollars from my collection ** Photo of Coin Holders Posted in Original Post

Night HawkNight Hawk Posts: 44 ✭✭✭
edited February 12, 2018 5:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

After looking at @FadeToBlack's discussion on Morgan dollars, I decided to take a few of my old 1879 S Morgans out for some Show and Tell. The first three Morgans are all graded by different top TPGs and all share the same numeric grade. All three are also in "older" holders.

This Morgan dollar is a lower grade because of some bag marks across the cheek and was also graded by yet a fourth TPG. While this TPG is not as well respected today, the holder is also considered "older". Because of the variety, however, this is still my favorite of the four. Incidentally, it was also the least expensive of the four when I purchased these coins about 8-10 years ago but is probably worth more than the others today.

For those that are interested in the actual holders, I will post a collage of the holders later this week.

Here is a photo of the coin holders...

Coin 1 is in an old ANA "white soap bar" holder (upper right)
Coin 2 is in an old NGC "No line Fatty" holder (lower right)
Coin 3 is in an old PCGS "Old Green Holder, Gen 3.0" (lower left)
Coin 4 is in an old PCI "Green Label" holder (upper left)

Hope you enjoyed them as much as I have over the years,

Night Hawk

Moo... I said Moo!

Comments

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I owned your Morgans, the last one would also be my favorite. It's a "Top 100" variety.

Years ago I inherited a bunch of circulated Morgans and was happy to discover one of this variety. So even though mine is only VG25, it's a permanent part of my collection.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice dollars.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. 65s? They are pretty!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group.

Many happy BST transactions
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a nice group of dollars

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old Morgans...and the third one is very attractive with great detail. Cheers, RickO

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Wish I had that Rev 78, still need one for my collection.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you know which rev of 78 it is?

The more you VAM..
  • Night HawkNight Hawk Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    Do you know which rev of 78 it is?

Spend some time looking at the VAMworld website, and it looks like VAM 9. I saw a closed 9 on the date, diagonal polish lines inside of the bow on the back, and a broken "r" in "trust". I did not see any of the late die state diagnostics of VAM 77 or 77A.

I will get the slabs pics up tomorrow night.

Night Hawk

Moo... I said Moo!
  • Night HawkNight Hawk Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

Odd that editing a post does not TTT, so here is a picture of the holders for anyone that might be interested in some "classic" holders

Night Hawk

Moo... I said Moo!
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2018 6:21PM

Nice looking morgans. Is that toning on the upper right one? If so I'm good, otherwise it don't look 65 to me.

• It is a real pleasure to view those beauties. Thanks for posting.

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! I like the 79-S for collecting a variety of grades. Well struck, easy to find, and relatively inexpensive.

K

ANA LM
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2018 9:54AM

@ElKevvo said:
    Nice! I like the 79-S for collecting a variety of grades. Well struck, easy to find, and relatively inexpensive.

K

Agreed. And it's a nice bonus when you find a raw 79-S Rev of 78.

For those that don't know, one feature of the Rev 78 is the flat breast. But that's difficult for me to recognize -- especially when the example is well-circulated.

Instead, I think it's easier to identify this variety by its Parallel Arrow Feathers (PAF).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file