Home U.S. Coin Forum

1838 Double Struck Quarter

1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

This is an 1838 double struck quarter, though not overly dramatic. On the obverse, from the right field and into Liberty's hair, you can see evidence of an off center first strike. Or is it triple struck.... there is an additional mark below the first in the middle of the neck and hair.

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like damage to me.

• This content has been removed.
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you post detail photos of the areas in question?

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are referring to what I am seeing, looks like damage to me. First thought was a hit from a reeded edge but not sure.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you talking about the four contact marks
    in the right side field?

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

..and continue through the hair? Damage from the edge of another coin.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2018 3:15PM

Looks like there's a faint star above the marks, and another to the left of Star 12.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I see is normal damage.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Looks like there's a faint star above the marks, and another to the left of Star 12.

I ALMOST see those - but I suspect it is that old pareidolia striking again.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking 25 c.

• 1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

The contact marks look similar to the dentil mark tracks commonly left as a telltale sign of a double striking, but it also seems like these markings could be damage. I purposely didn't mention damage in the OP in order to see what responses there would be. Dentil track marks from a double strike usually seem to look more embedded in the coin than on this one, where it looks more like contact marks. However, the marks look more like they came from a coin, or maybe not. What do you think?

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really hard for me to tell if those marks were in the planchet prior to striking, at least without holding it under a glass and rotating it. If any bits are raised off the fields I'd call it damage. They do look a bit like dentil marks seen on other bust quarter double strikes, but these are not as "blended" with the coin as usual, like you mention above.
    The planchet striations are unusual as well, almost like it was filed a bit before striking?

• goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need more close pictures of the obverse.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on what I can see in your pictures, that is damage to the coin, not a double strike... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file