Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

LordM newps summary & "Eclectic Box" update, January 2018

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 7, 2018 3:56AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hello, my old CU fiends!

(Whoops! Haha! That was a funny typo, so I let it stand.) ;)

Hello, my old CU friends!

Longtimenosee!

I still poke my head in around these parts occasionally, despite having taken up permanent residence over on CoinTalk over a year ago.

Below are my January newps, but since it's been a while, I thought I'd give y'all a link to my Eclectic Box collection as it stands today.

You will have known it as the (former-) "Eclectic Box of 20", and so it was - a box of twenty - for four years, until mid-2017, when I finally got tired of the self-imposed 20-coin limit. I let a lot of nice stuff go to maintain that numerical limit, and I miss some of it now, but sticking to that for four years did teach me some things about maintaining a detached and selective attitude, and I think it made the core of my collection better. ("Quality over quantity", and all that, y'know).

Now that the "Box of 20" concept is out the window, I'm at 32 pieces as of this post, so it's just the plain old "Eclectic Box" instead of the "Eclectic Box of 20".

Deacon Ray over on CoinTalk did this fantasy montage, just for fun. (Kind of like the creative stuff @SpaceMonkey did here, back in the day.) Some of the coins in it are gone now- casualties of the old 20-coin limit- sold or swapped away and now lamented, but many still remain with me.

Lord Marcovan's "Eclectic Box" gallery on CollectiveCoin

I won't try posting it all here as I used to do on the old forums- the Markdown formatting on this new site is annoying.

But here are the latest additions:

Greece (Thessaly, Pharkadon): silver hemidrachm; Thessalos restraining bull, ca. 440-400 BC

Greece (Mysia, Lampsakos): silver diobol; janiform heads and Athena, ca. 4th-3rd century BC

England: silver penny of King John, ca. 1213-1215, from the Gisors hoard found in Normandy

India (Mysore): gold fanam of Tipu Sultan, AH 1200 (1786), Patan mint

France: silver jeton (insurance token) engraved by Ernest-Paulin Tasset, 1869

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back - I really enjoy your posts, as well as the coins you post and the stories behind them. Thanks for sharing!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking group LordM!

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

LordM,

I'm sure as you move from 32 coins towards that full 2nd box of 20, you will have a bunch more very interesting coins to share! I always love seeing your posts and coins.

Jeff

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Always a pleasure to read about your collecting experiences and the neat items you find!

• Options

@PatAR said:
    Always a pleasure to read about your collecting experiences and the neat items you find!

Hey, Pat. I see your book has been highlighted on the Coin Week podcast. I've downloaded that episode, but haven't listened yet. Maybe tonight, on my commute!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

LordM, are you yourself taking these photos? holy cow, they are lovely.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

@mkman123 said:
    LordM, are you yourself taking these photos? holy cow, they are lovely.

Alas, no. I cannot claim that.

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:

Hey, Pat. I see your book has been highlighted on the Coin Week podcast. I've downloaded that episode, but haven't listened yet. Maybe tonight, on my commute!

Hey Rob. Not my most eloquent interview, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Always fun to talk coins and Charles is a well prepared and capable interviewer. Always great to chat with him. Let me know what you think of it.