Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin roll hunter??? Lets see your results

StampCoinGuy777StampCoinGuy777 Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited February 9, 2018 6:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi collectors, if you go CRH and you find a special coin of any kind, feel free to post it here. Every time you find any cool coins, if you can post it. Even 1 coin works......... any kind of coin works. Thanks Noah

I LOVE old coins.

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me, I must take a trip to the bank for some rolls.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't do CRH very often but I do have CRS.................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

For sure.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good idea for a thread... and it reminds me... I have not searched rolls of halves in six months... ever since I found the Walker....about time to try my luck again. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

You only want to see finds from rolls or shall we include the finds from the loose coins a teller might hand you?

• Options

@MaineJim said:
    You only want to see finds from rolls or shall we include the finds from the loose coins a teller might hand you?

Yep you can show me any thing you find. ;)

I LOVE old coins.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found these in rolls of cents from the bank..........had to look through a lot of rolls though :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    Here's the rolls of BU Ikes I had at one point before I thinned them out.

90% prior to the sale at $33/oz or something. I sold my 40% as I acquired it, in lots of 4-5 rolls at a time, and found that at about a 4:1 ratio, so 4x as many 40%ers as 90%ers found over my few years of being a big CRH'er.

War nickels;

I miss $30/oz silver lol.

WOW..........................................................................
    (Did I say WOW ?)

• Options

@mannie gray said:

@FadeToBlack said:
    Here's the rolls of BU Ikes I had at one point before I thinned them out.

90% prior to the sale at $33/oz or something. I sold my 40% as I acquired it, in lots of 4-5 rolls at a time, and found that at about a 4:1 ratio, so 4x as many 40%ers as 90%ers found over my few years of being a big CRH'er.

War nickels;

WOW..........................................................................
    (Did I say WOW ?)

I Agree!!

I LOVE old coins.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:

That's some dam impressive coin roll hunting.

• Options

@FadeToBlack
    Now that's some serious roll hunting. Are you still trying to get the dirt off your fingers?

• Options

Here is one I found CRH. Came from teller.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2018 5:54AM

Ok theres some extreamly impressive finds on here! This thread is great

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options

Here was another one of my better CRH days finds. They came from two separate banks. The first teller said the other tellers picked through everything and had taken all the silver dollars...I guess they didn't think all the Eisenhower silver proofs were silver. Never did find out what they had found but I was happy to take these. Later at another bank a teller asked if I wanted this half dollar with a hole in it! I said I'd be happy to!

• Options

@MaineJim said:
    Here was another one of my better CRH days finds. They came from two separate banks. The first teller said the other tellers picked through everything and had taken all the silver dollars...I guess they didn't think all the Eisenhower silver proofs were silver. Never did find out what they had found but I was happy to take these. Later at another bank a teller asked if I wanted this half dollar with a hole in it! I said I'd be happy to!

@MaineJim .....you have some amazing finds.
    Helps to be on good terms with the bank tellers.

• Options

Nothing as cool as @MaineJim has found, but this was a cool surprise today.
    I think I may have found an IHC some years ago, but not really sure......
    To find a coin from the 19th century, even though it is corroded and dark, well, for us coin nerds, is pretty thrilling.

• Options

@mannie gray said:
    To find a coin from the 19th century, even though it is corroded and dark, well, for us coin nerds, is pretty thrilling.

Nice find with the IHC. I have only found one in all the years of searching. As many CRHs when I got back into searching I started with boxes of cents. This went on for about a year and I was determined to search until an IHC appeared. When I did find it, it was the crustiest one I'd ever seen and clearly had been found in the ground. I moved on from the cents and dumped all the copper I'd been collecting back into circulation. I did have one good cent find from a teller who handed me these rolls one day.

Jim

• Options

I got 6 Lincoln cent rolls from the bank this week just for the helluvit. I'll admit, it was fun opening the rolls.

Nothing except one VG-F 1950s which i was very surprised to see....not only because it was a wheatie which isn't easy to find, but not many s coins circulate on the East Coast.

But just like catching a small fish, I'm gonna throw it back in circulation for a kid to find. :)

• Options

@stevek said:
    I got 6 Lincoln cent rolls from the bank this week just for the helluvit. I'll admit, it was fun opening the rolls.

Nothing except one VG-F 1950s which i was very surprised to see....not only because it was a wheatie which isn't easy to find, but not many s coins circulate on the East Coast.

But just like catching a small fish, I'm gonna throw it back in circulation for a kid to find. :)

Well done!

Pete

• Options

@MaineJim said:

@mannie gray said:

Nice find with the IHC. I have only found one in all the years of searching. As many CRHs when I got back into searching I started with boxes of cents. This went on for about a year and I was determined to search until an IHC appeared. When I did find it, it was the crustiest one I'd ever seen and clearly had been found in the ground. I moved on from the cents and dumped all the copper I'd been collecting back into circulation. I did have one good cent find from a teller who handed me these rolls one day.

Jim

You are to be commended on your ability to schmooze the bank employees......well done!

• Options

Here is another teller find. I walked into a bank I don't go in to often and asked for half dollars. The teller was kinda snotty and said I never see those so I headed for the door. As I was about to leave another teller who had been sitting at a side desk hollered out "I have some funny money, do you want it?". I said yes of course. She walked over and opened her draw and handed me these. The other teller almost had a heart attack. She was clearly angry as the teller handed me these. I thanked her and left with a smile on my face!

• Options

Holy crap!
    What is in the air in Maine?????
    I need to know...... :)

• Options

@mannie gray said:
    Holy crap!
    What is in the air in Maine?????
    I need to know...... :)

To this day, i'm not sure what the bank rules are for employees to exchange their own money dollar for dollar, for obvious numismatic items that customers bring in for deposit. I would have to believe it is likely forbidden and an employee could get fired over it.

So yes, these 6 silver dollars represent around $90 in silver or numismatic value, but is it worth getting fired over $90? Of course not.

Although I would have to imagine that if a little old lady came in and deposited some rolls of mint condition Indian cents, the teller would quickly get on her cell phone and tell her brother to get down here immediately and ask for some rolls of pennies. LOL

• Options

Many of the banks that I use for personal business allow tellers to swap coins and currency.

• Options

WOW...................................

WOW......................................... :o:o:o:o:o:o

• Options

It was a rainy nasty day and I had some bank rolls I had been meaning to go through.
    When this fell out, I couldn't believe my eyes.
    A couple days ago an IHC, now this.......
    My best circ. find ever.

I think it's F-188...it's a shame it's been cleaned.
    CWT guys can help if they want....I can't locate my references.
    Wow......I think I need to go back to that bank.

• Options

Nice find - I like the beehive and bees! Don't see that very often. You never know what will come out of a roll. I think you are right with the f-188.

• Options

@stevek said:

Well done!

Pete

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MaineJim said:

Well - one more post of CRH finds and this would be by far my best. It got a banner over on Treasurenet. I walked into a bank that was located in a supermarket a few years back and asked for halves and oddities and left with a box of rolled halves they had out in the vault. I think there were about 30 rolls in newish looking wrappers. Out in my car I popped one open that was in the only old looking wrapper and didn't see any silver, I opened a newer looking roll and had a surprise. You can see what I found, I think there were 29 rolls just like it. I don't search as much as I used to with work and a teenager that takes up a lot of time but I'll probably be back at it hard in a few years!

I remember that one on Treasurenet back in the day Jim!! Those were the days! What was that 2009/2010?

Jeff

• Options

I am always searching cent rolls... I found this one the other day...it stuck out like a sore thumb, I believe it's a 1972 S proof.

• Options

@cecropiamoth said:

@MaineJim said:

Well - one more post of CRH finds and this would be by far my best. It got a banner over on Treasurenet. I walked into a bank that was located in a supermarket a few years back and asked for halves and oddities and left with a box of rolled halves they had out in the vault. I think there were about 30 rolls in newish looking wrappers. Out in my car I popped one open that was in the only old looking wrapper and didn't see any silver, I opened a newer looking roll and had a surprise. You can see what I found, I think there were 29 rolls just like it. I don't search as much as I used to with work and a teenager that takes up a lot of time but I'll probably be back at it hard in a few years!

I remember that one on Treasurenet back in the day Jim!! Those were the days! What was that 2009/2010?

Jeff

Hey Jeff - you are right. That was December 2009. Best month I ever had searching. I also had two monster boxes of halves. One had about 150 90% halves, another had about 100. Those were the days, nothing has ever came close to it again.

Jim

• Options

@MaineJim said:

@cecropiamoth said:

@MaineJim said:

Jeff

Hey Jeff - you are right. That was December 2009. Best month I ever had searching. I also had two monster boxes of halves. One had about 150 90% halves, another had about 100. Those were the days, nothing has ever came close to it again.

Jim

Yep, had some monstrous months in 2009/2010 too. I never got the huge hit of 90% in a box, but had numerous, numerous boxes of 75+ 40% always with a handful of 90% in them. I turned to dimes when the halves dried up and searched a ton of those too...found nearly 700 silver dimes in 2012, but it took a lot of boxes. The whole dumping was a real pain, but if you had a system and multiple banks/branches it was doable and a labor of love.

Cheers/Jeff

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found tons of minor error coins that I sold to buy major error coins.

I have found two major error coins roll hunting BU rolls.

• Options

The whole dumping was a real pain, but if you had a system and multiple banks/branches it was doable and a labor of love.

Cheers/Jeff

I have a great system for dumping, drop off full bags of one denomination and they go right into my account. I can take cash also if I want it. Took a while to build the relationship but it is the way to go if you can get it.

Jim

• Options

@MaineJim said:

The whole dumping was a real pain, but if you had a system and multiple banks/branches it was doable and a labor of love.

Cheers/Jeff

I have a great system for dumping, drop off full bags of one denomination and they go right into my account. I can take cash also if I want it. Took a while to build the relationship but it is the way to go if you can get it.

Jim

I've heard of folks that have had that setup. It's certainly one of the best. Because success was directly tied to volume, contacts/relationships were always the most important factor in being a successful CRH'er.

Jeff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file