Home Precious Metals
Options

Devices that will separate silver coins from clad

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was talking to a guy at a shop today who said that said his friend invented a device that will separate silver coins from clad; he gets large amounts in bulk and is able to make a lot of money doing this. Why aren't banks and other money handlers doing this already?

Comments

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Search youtube for copper silver coin sorters.

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

I used to work in bookkeeping in a retail store. The coin counter would reject silver coins.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

coinstar separates it, as does all the coin sorters used by banks due to different weights of silver / clad.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was easy back in the 60's; old man Sam Sloat bought war nickels in large quantity from the banks and was able to make big money on the premiums.

It's hard to believe that any entity with quantity, banks, vendors, Coin Star doesn't have a system to separate the premium coins and turn around and sell them for top dollar.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    It was easy back in the 60's; old man Sam Sloat bought war nickels in large quantity from the banks and was able to make big money on the premiums.

It's hard to believe that any entity with quantity, banks, vendors, Coin Star doesn't have a system to separate the premium coins and turn around and sell them for top dollar.

Most of the big banks don't even have coin sorters. They send them off to Brinks who sorts/rolls them and sends back a receipt to the bank with the amount of coins counted. I can guarantee you with 100% certainty you will NEVER find a silver coin in a Brinks wrapped roll.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@logger7 said:

Most of the big banks don't even have coin sorters. They send them off to Brinks who sorts/rolls them and sends back a receipt to the bank with the amount of coins counted. I can guarantee you with 100% certainty you will NEVER find a silver coin in a Brinks wrapped roll.

I don't believe that . I used to search rolls all the time and found stuff in brinks rolls. I never bought dime or quarter rolls but when I bought nickle rolls I found plenty of war nickles . For that matter I found foreign coins in the rolls and dimes in penny rolls now and then too.

• Options

How long ago was that? I'm guessing that was not recently?

• Options

well I gave up on pennies 2 years ago when I needed glasses to read the dates :D . I guess I gave up on nickles about the same time?
    Around 2008 I was actively searching halfs and pulled hundreds of dollars in 90% silver and 40% silver out but that was probably before they were mining those which I imagine would have started around 2010 or 2011

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found a Walker in a roll of halves... last year.... However, I have searched hundreds of rolls and prior to that, never even found a 40% Kennedy.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fingers?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@cohodk said:
    Fingers?

Ears ?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eyes?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

A "ryedale sorter" is what I believe you're looking for.