Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold & silver buyers - your Big Brothers are pulling the strings.

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not the first time these banks have manipulated precious metal markets.

"Deutsche Bank, UBS and HSBC will collectively pay nearly $47 million to settle civil regulatory charges that some of their traders engaged in spoofing in precious metals."

https://cnbc.com/2018/01/29/ubs-deutsche-bank-and-hsbc-to-pay-millions-in-spoofing-settlement.html

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:s !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me a financial market that is not manipulated?

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

$47 million fine is probably nothing compared to what was / still is being made from the manipulation. Slap on the hand.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I recall, Thomas Jefferson hated banks and bankers.... he understood so much even then.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    If I recall, Thomas Jefferson hated banks and bankers.... he understood so much even then.... Cheers, RickO

Ricko, wow ..unaware you are THAT old! :D

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carew4me.... yep... looks are deceiving..... been around since Moby Dick was a tadpole...
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should quit mining the stuff. We really don't need any more of it. Close the mines and remediate the ground. The best thing would be that eventually all of the junk and other undesirable gold would be sent to the refiners and only the better gold coins and other items would exist.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

So many seem to enjoy being manipulated this way. Strange....

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2018 7:59PM

Tell me Rog, where do you keep money that you don’t think for a second is being manipulated? To answer your question, since my assumption is that ALL paper is subject to 100% manipulation, I’m okay with owning assets of which I am 100% certain of their existence and whereabouts. My primary assets have zero counterparty risk. When even the risk instruments can be manipulated in the derivatives markets, it only seems prudent that one should “step aside” and I have stepped as far aside from that pile of cow dung as I can possibly step. Caveat Emptor, my friend.

*your

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

When the “price” gets manipulated down, I think about buying more physical. Buy low, sell high - remember? Just because the “price” is manipulated, it doesn’t mean that the actual stuff isn’t real. Voila la’ difference!

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jmski....does it make a differece if you step to the side of the cow dung by 6 inches or 6 feet?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

It depends on how big you expect the pile of cow dung to get. It appears to be getting bigger by the day.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Netflix has a show called dirty money. I think its roughly 5 or 6 episodes. One of them has HSBC in it that did other not so kosher business. One episode even has a focus on our present president. Interesting things go on in the financial world.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s not under control, it gets out of control. We just keep on mining it and assaying it, despite the level and depth we go down to get it .

Hang on for the ride.