Home U.S. Coin Forum

My freshly graded common Peace Dollar. Seeking advice on if or how to attribute.

sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 31, 2018 9:32AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Disclaimer: I know it was not worth sending in but I was struggling with filling out a submission and I wanted a Trueview for myself.

I believe it to be a VAM-7 (doubled wing) thanks to a forum member pointing it out to me. 7B to be exact. Top 50.

It's a $30 coin as it sits and I believe it to be $130+/- if attributed.

Should I send it back to PCGS for the attribution, somewhere else or just leave it as is?

She's quite handsome, imho.

MS64

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will double the value of the coin, counting the cost to regrade, so I say go for it! One of the few Peace Vam's that are worth it.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS, I think it will sell in the $200-$250 range.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice looking coin there. :)

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin with uncommonly nice eye appeal. The VAM is a bonus, but one with a somewhat inconsistent market.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin with real nice toning.

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want the Peace Dollar attributed, then I would send it to @messydesk. He runs a VAM attribution service and will apply a label to the back of your slab indicating the VAM. Pretty much anyone who collects VAM's is well aware of and trust John with his attributions. Plus his fees are less than re-sending it to PCGS.

Here is his website. I know a lot of the VAMpires in here will vouch for him.

varslab.com/vamseal.html

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would you sell that for? I would love to have that for a Variety Type set I am going to put up. I have a lot of the coins, but no Peace Dollar.

@sparky64 said:
    Disclaimer: I know it was not worth sending in but I was struggling with filling out a submission and I wanted a Trueview for myself.

I believe it to be a VAM-7 (doubled wing) thanks to a forum member pointing it out to me. 7B to be exact. Top 50.

It's a $30 coin as it sits and I believe it to be $130+/- if attributed.

Should I send it back to PCGS for the attribution, somewhere else or just leave it as is?

She's quite handsome, imho.

MS64

What is the difference between 7 and 7B?

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 3:30PM

Suggest the OP follow jtlee321's advice. Also, VAMs are a very thin market with little growth in collector interest. Few coins reach anything like the prices often quoted.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Along with the strong doubling along the wing and leg, the 7B has a raised dot between the 'T' & 'R' in 'TRUST'.
    There may be other diagnostics but I'm no VAM expert.

PCGS does not distinguish between the different 7's and lumps them together as VAM-7.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

@sparky64 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Along with the strong doubling along the wing and leg, the 7B has a raised dot between the 'T' & 'R' in 'TRUST'.
    There may be other diagnostics but I'm no VAM expert.

PCGS does not distinguish between the different 7's and lumps them together as VAM-7.

I noticed that the example on coinfacts has a die gouge on the reverse from one of the rays to the "U". I can't see that on yours so I thought that might be a difference.

• RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 5:29PM

I think that you can reholder it and pay the fee ($12?) for variety attribution.

David McCarthy - Kagin's - IG: X_COINNERD_X

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

You also have to consider other costs involved in sending it in such as reholder fee, variety attribution fee,
    $10 service fee, shipping costs both ways...
    I'd be interested in it as is if price is where I feel comfortable paying since I do have interest in Peace $ vams. Put it up on bst if you intend to sell and see what offers you get.
    Pretty coin too btw!

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great-looking dollar!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting VAM.... I need to check my '22's for that.... not being a VAMpire, I was not aware of this one. Cheers, RickO

• thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Just getting into the Peace dollar VAMs - some are pretty cool and looks like a lot out there are un-attributed. Also from what I’m finding, there’s not many looking either - so it’s fun, easy and fairly cheap to start putting together an elite 30 or top 50 set

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one! Very pretty. Cool cert# too.
    Lance.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one very beautiful Peace buck.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peace dollar VAMs are underappreciated compared to Morgans. Many on VAMWorld refer to Peace dollars as "the dark side." The coin is worth a premium -- one recently sold in NGC 64 for $200 on eBay. As for how to have it attributed, I'm a bit biased, since I run the attribution service mentioned. The OP coin is quite attractive, and should sell well regardless of whether you have me or our host add the attribution to it. Pop top for VAM 7 is MS65, and there are only 2 at that level in the SSDC registry.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thevolcanogod said:
    Just getting into the Peace dollar VAMs - some are pretty cool and looks like a lot out there are un-attributed. Also from what I’m finding, there’s not many looking either - so it’s fun, easy and fairly cheap to start putting together an elite 30 or top 50 set

Emphasis added to show exactly why people end up collecting this stuff long-term. Obscene Profit™ from cherrypicking can and does happen, but if that's your only motivation, you'll just end up frustrated.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks good. Peace.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Peace dollar VAMs are underappreciated compared to Morgans. Many on VAMWorld refer to Peace dollars as "the dark side." The coin is worth a premium -- one recently sold in NGC 64 for $200 on eBay. As for how to have it attributed, I'm a bit biased, since I run the attribution service mentioned. The OP coin is quite attractive, and should sell well regardless of whether you have me or our host add the attribution to it. Pop top for VAM 7 is MS65, and there are only 2 at that level in the SSDC registry.

I printed your submission forms and plan on sending you this Peace Dollar for attribution and a couple of photo subjects.
    It'll be a few weeks though.
    I'm oddly busy for the short term but look forward the sending some things your way.
    -Mark

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super toning for a Peace Dollar and a VAM to boot..... Jackpot.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe @MessyDesk runs an attribution service that reminds me of the variety version of CAC (minus the grading). That would be the route I would go.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can find a variety of small stickers at your Staple or Office Max stores and and write Vam 7B. Heck, they likely have kits that work with your computer and printer. I have actually printed out iron-on emblems for a couple of T-shirts. You could also have someone do it for you
    The coin certainly speaks for itself especially the strike. I'd hang on to that one and enjoy it for years to come.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should have a rule about unsolicited dealings in the US Forum. We have rules for spamming here, why not for egging a guy to sell.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

go for it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

A real looker. Nice.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just had messydesk attribute a vam Morgan in a Paramount holder. They do the same thing as our host (but attribute many that our host doesn't) and it was very reasonably priced. On a low value coin it's the only option.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very pretty coin-that's what sets it apart.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file