Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anybody show me a 1964-D Kennedy with these HEAVY Die Polish Marks?

Comments

• Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I did mess around with the photo to help show the die polish lines. Also notice how it looks speckled... could this be what a Satin Finish looks like when photos are enhanced or the 1964 SMS?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have any '64D (or any other MM) that even remotely resembles that coin...and I would not call it a 'satin finish'... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can go through mine and see. I feel like I remember seeing some with a decent amount of die polish lines.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen these die polish lines on
    64-D's before.

And, there is no way it's a Satin Surface coin for two reasons:

1. They only struck them in Philadelphia - the OP's coin is from Denver

2. They were not placed into circulation, sets, etc. - all the known
      pieces came out of the Director of the Mint's estate.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Those are incredibly heavy die polish marks, I wonder if any mint employee noticed before they were released.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options

THEY DID MAKE A 1964-D Satin SMS. Only known example belongs to the Smithsonian. So hard to detect that the Smithsonian didn’t even realize they had it til just a few years ago.

• Options

I wasn't aware of a 64-D at the Smithsonian.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got an example of the FS-501 RPM with heavy die polish and without. So someone at the Denver Mint loved to grind on those dies...

Before the polishing

After the polishing

• Options

The coin posted above doesn’t have the same polish marks. Look at the direction of the polish lines on the L in HALF. VERY different from mine. Plus look how clean my D mm is. Plus my coin doesn’t look dinged up like that one. I agree that finding a 1964-D Satin SMS would be so damn rare it would be worth around one million dollars plus. So I understand all of the doubt. However, I have good reason to believe I may have the only 2 sets known outside of the Smithsonian. I purchased a large coin collection, 2 sets of coins were found in ziplock baggies. Both were 64-D. They included a half, quarter, Dime, Nickel, and penny. The only reason 5 coins like that would be together would be for a mint set. But why would the owner have cut them from protected cello to have them possibly get damaged having them rub against each other in a ziplock? Also a mint set comes with TWO sets a P and a D. Yet, the two baggies I found both HAD THE D MINTMARK. The also read that some 64 Philly SMS Satin Finish sets were sold in ziplock baggies at first before they were ever graded and officially known as Satin SMS. So isn’t it odd that someone would have 2 Denver Mint sets in ziplock bags and no Philadelphia Sets. Sure it is odd but you could easily argue that someone bought 2 complete Mint sets and sold the Philly minted sets and kept the Denver. So if that’s the case then my coins should have the same Finish as a mint set correct..... that’s why I purchased a mint set at my local coin shop. My coins have a completely different Finish than the regular mint sets of 64. I understand Fred is a true legend in the coin world, please give this post an open mind because I’ve put in over a year studying these coins and I mean this. I honestly believe I must have the first 2 known 64-D Satin Mint sets known outside of the Smithsonian. Plus you gotta figure 99% of people don’t even know the set exists from the Denver Mint so maybe that’s why so many philly SMS are known because of the hype and promotions. But when people ask about the Denver set, they are told they don’t exist EVEN THOUGH THEY DO. How likely is it that they made 50 plus Philly Satin Mint sets and only one Denver Satin Mint Set. Makes no sense. I’m on to something.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2018 7:57PM

Here’s a pic of one of the 2 pennies I have from the 2 sets. The penny on the left is from a mint set I just opened and the righ5 shows the coin from what I believe to be a 64-D Satin SMS.

• Options

I'm only human, and as posted above,
    I was not aware of the Denver Mint Specimens.

Go for it - your research on these D mint coins
    could be an interesting exercise for us all.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be helpful if you could post a couple photos that are not enhanced so we could get a better perspective on it. (it's hard to tell whether the enhancements are showing improved details, or are actually creating additional features). How does the coin look without the enhancements?

----- kj
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that the two half dollars I posted above are not the same as yours, I identified them as such. I was simply posting an example that shows that heavy die polish is not uncommon for this series. Good luck on your quest.... Occam's Razor

• Options

This is pretty exciting. I just checked all my 64-D Dimes and I compared the mint marks to the 2 dimes I have that I believe are SMS. I challenge you to find a 64-D with these clean sharp D MINTMARKS. Omg I swear I am making real progress in proving these 2 unique Satin 1964 SMS Denver Mint sets. Collectors, feast your eyes on my 2 1964-D dimes that came in 2 separate baggies. Each contained a half, quarter, Dime, Nickel, and penny. Both sets are Denver. I have not altered these pics in any way.

• Options

Here’s a pic of all 9 1964-D dimes I have. The two special ones are on the upper left and upper middle.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file