Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1980 Roosevelt Dime

Was going through My dime collection and can We across this error. Compared with another same year dime and definitely different. The motto, the date, and mint mark not same. What do you guys think.

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been struck from worn or overused dies - very common.

There might be some environmental damage on the surfaces,
    but I can't be certain from the dark photo.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Fred... plus, it looks as if it has been in a corrosive environment... either the ground or acidic bath...The surface is certainly PMD.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Don't believe it is very common, comparing to several same year, and mints mottos this is not common

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    It's been struck from worn or overused dies - very common.

There might be some environmental damage on the surfaces,
    but I can't be certain from the dark photo.

It's what I call 'beaten with an ugly stick". Some coins get caught up in usage where most of the wear involves collisions with other objects or coins. Coins used for weeks in Las Vegas used to get this from repeated passages through counters and coin handling equipment but there are countless possibilities.

In this case this "damage" is fairly light but it makes an interesting effect on coin well struck by highly eroded dies. I'd guess this die wore out unusually quickly because of a little higher pressure than normal.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, it is worn out dies and lots of usage. The dies for dimes were typically maxed out as far as how many pieces they struck back in thay time period.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 10:22AM

@Vin71 said:
    Don't believe it is very common, comparing to several same year, and mints mottos this is not common

Trust me when it comes to errors they dont get much better then fred.

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

While it looks kind of funky, Fred is correct and it does not have much value.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file