Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Me want an INGOT !!!!

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, thanks for posting this :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are cool!

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me want more toned gold!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just love to hold one! I could never afford one. Lol

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 5:25PM

@Lakesammman said:
    Me want more toned gold!

Here's the TrueView. I think this may end up being the signature coin for the set, like the 1892-CC half eagle is for the Saddle Ridge Hoard.

• Options
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an amazing treasure and the ingots are really neat. I worked in a plating industry for several years. We did high volume gold plating for electronic parts. We would reclaim gold waste as well and once or twice a year I would send out an ingot which we would receive payment for...usually in the form of gold/cyanide for use in the baths. Always fun to carry one through the plant....people would want to 'feel how heavy it was'...and be shocked at the weight of such a seemingly small hunk of metal. Gold was much cheaper then... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko Pics or it didn't happen! >:)

• Options
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland.... :D That was too many years ago..... like about 28 or 30....... Wish I had taken pictures... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 3:53PM

It will be interesting to learn whether some of the smaller ingots are again going to be available. The Q. David Bowers tome "A California Gold Rush History" has pages and pages of various sized ingots preserved in full color from the original S.S. Central America recovery. (May well be a complete record of all those recovered.)

It will be of interest to learn whether the already 1055 page work will end up being supplemented to add the newbies?

• Options
    edited January 31, 2018 10:34PM

@PCGSPhoto said:
    they’re just so satisfyingly heavy

Great photo Phil!

While they are all assembled, it would be great to take a photo like the one below recently posted by @RogerB. You can leave out the red circle but it's there to show some coins can add some nice scale!

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2018 12:15AM

The closest I have to an ingot is a mold from the California gold rush era in which the melted gold was poured to make ingots. I should probably microscopically check to see if any of the yellow metal was retained on the inner surfaces. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file