Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Devens, MA coin show

savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I attended the monthly-ish coin show in Devens MA today. It is a great local show, and I recommend it if smaller coin shows are your thing. About 50 dealers. Half raw coins and half certified, which is a much larger percentage of raw than I would have thought. A handful of foreign coin dealers as well, and they seemed busy. The organizer does seem to make an effort to bring the public in, with advertising and door prizes and the like.

There appeared to be good collector attendance, though I didn’t observe a large amount of money changing hands. The high-end dealer by far was Coin Rarities Online, which had a dozen or so stunning coins in display. I would be very surprised if they sold anything in that venue, but maybe they have other reasons to attend.

Lots of three-ring binders of Barbers and Washingtons and the like. I was happy to see that stuff as I feared that segment of the market had died. Two local auction companies were accepting consignments.

Overall, it looked like a pretty healthy atmosphere, in contrast to all the doom-and-gloom wailing about the future of the hobby.

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, I should try that show sometime, do you have a link to the ad? :smile:
    Thanks

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report... sounds like a good show... was there much bullion activity? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. I heard that Dave W was going, with quality dealers like him it must be worth the trip.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool report... thanks for posting. So many good small shows on the east coast... kinda starved for them here in Washington state.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2018 10:12AM

@1630Boston said:
    Thanks for the report, I should try that show sometime, do you have a link to the ad? :smile:
    Thanks

@1630Boston I was unable to make it this past weekend, but I've found it to be a good show the last few months that I attended.

coinshows.com/devens_eb.html

Edited to add: Here are a few more listings for the Devens, MA coin shows for 2018.

coinshows.com/massachusetts.html

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@ricko said:
    Thanks for the report... sounds like a good show... was there much bullion activity? Cheers, RickO

@ricko The last two shows I've been to in January (one in MA and one in NH) there has been a fair amount of increase in bullion activity compared to the last few months in 2017. I don't really follow the Bullion stuff, but I just remember saying to my brother in law that we could not get near those tables (people where buy and selling Bullion) to see what they had in graded coins.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia..... Thank you Donato..... I did suspect that activity would be increasing since bullion is rising. Always strange to watch... people buy as it gets expensive... then sell when it crashes... just the reverse of what should happen. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko You're welcome!

Donato

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2018 10:43AM

@savitale said:

"The high-end dealer by far was Coin Rarities Online, which had a dozen or so stunning coins in display. I would be very surprised if they sold anything in that venue, but maybe they have other reasons to attend. "

Don't judge a book by its cover. I frequent both of Ernie's monthly shows and know quite a few well-heeled buyers who attend. You may not see the money changing hands, but it's there.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get to that show now and then, and used to sometimes do the Westford one that preceded it. Dave W is sometimes there. Also used to see our own MrD, Indeetlib, and a few others of note. Lano Balulescu has no web presence to speak of but he often has nice coins. I’ve bought a few fairly special things from him over the years.

mirabela
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

I’m not into bullion, but I did notice one table that was all bullion. They were very busy.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @divecchia..... Thank you Donato..... I did suspect that activity would be increasing since bullion is rising. Always strange to watch... people buy as it gets expensive... then sell when it crashes... just the reverse of what should happen. Cheers, RickO

Yes!
    I cannot figure this out.
    It has been that way for as long as I have been involved in coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file