Home U.S. Coin Forum

Eyesore on the B. Max Mehl building in Texas

Fort Worth coin dealer B. Max Mehl's building at the corner of Henderson and West Magnolia was beautifully restored a decade ago, but the archway over his office entrance still has missing letters and rotting wood where a board covered his name and business name when the building was used as a flophouse apartment building in the 1960s. I digitally restored it and my project is getting the owner to restore it for real.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2018 8:38PM

Who owns the building now? Hope the current owner restores it!

I saw a Mehl token in MS graded by ATS a while back and didn't pick it up, something I regret now.

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

That building is historically important to the numismatic community. Glad you are working on this project.
    Pete

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the pictures... let us know how the project goes... Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2018 2:12PM

Ask the owner if he will allow you to do the work. Looks reasonably easy.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go get 'em Frank, good for you! B. Max Mehl was a real Texas original! (Dallas native here.)

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

All you need to come up with is a "B" and an "E" and you are in business.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frankcoins said:
    the archway over his office entrance still has missing letters and rotting wood where a board covered his name and business name when the building was used as a flophouse apartment building in the 1960s.

That is a fantastic effort on your part and we should all be thankful that you are helping restore/preserve numismatic history.

Personally, I am glad the "flophouse apartment building" added that wood base before covering Mehl's name with their own sign. I have seen far too many historic buildings with their original name chiseled off or cemented over.

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭✭

Such a cool building, love the pictures!

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 9:43AM

Thanks for sharing and posting. There is a rich history, in numismatics. Reminds me of ( CoinGuy1 ) Mark Feld. I think he's Mehl's grandson, if I recall correctly.

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to see, but he had a similar logo on the flaps of his envelopes.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

its nice to see stuff like that. thanks for sharing

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would this be a worthwhile "GoFundMe" project?

peacockcoins

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a 1926-D Standing Liberty Quarter that resided in a B. Max Mehl envelope for the last 60-70 years, just like the envelope in the photo above that was posted by @carabonnair.

Dark but attractive and original deep gray and gold toning on both sides. This one cost $2.00 in February 1947 and is ex. Frederick W. Geiss Collection. It is priced a little higher these days..... Here is a photo:

Photos courtesy of W. David Perkins Numismatics

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file