Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

The most artistic of the least artistic of coins

NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my main areas of interest are Northumbrian stycas. These are base metal copper/brass coins of 9th century northern England that are some of the most boring coins ever made. The typical one has a central cross, with a king's name around the edge on one side, with the moneyer's name on the other. These coins excite me, but not too many others, due to their small size, base metal, and lack of artistic merit.

There were 40 different moneyers who produced stycas (see my post here if interested), but only one of these guys stands out above the rest, with a flair for the artistic. His name was Leofthegn, literally meaning "beloved retainer."
Unlike some of the moneyers who had careers that spanned multiple kings' reigns, Leofthegn just worked for the Northumbrian king Aethelred II (not the Unready, that's a different king), who had a reign of about 8 years. Leofthegn's coins are the most prolific of Aethelred's reign. A very small group of Leofthegn's coins was produced that depict an animal, probably hearkening back to the heraldic animal (sometimes called a "fantastic beast") which was on coins of the 8th century. There is also a triquetra smooshed in there which is another old symbol of Northumbrian royalty. The design did not take hold, and no other moneyers of these coins feature the animal. It is not clear whether these coins served a special purpose, such as presentation. They are a little larger and heavier than the average coin of this period, but not greatly so.

Here is my newly acquired example of this coin. In the years that I've been collecting, I have only seen two other examples of this issue sold, and both were in atrocious condition. This coin is somewhat gnarly, but considered choice for the issue. It comes from the famous R.C. Lockett collection, and was my major purchase from the NYINC auctions.

O: +EDILRED REX (King Aethelred)
R: LEOF/DEG/N

Comments

• PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing this, Nap. I always appreciate the background information you provide.

Congratulations on acquiring this special piece!

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

How interesting. Honestly, I do not recall you ever showing one at any GCCC meeting that I attended.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha said:
    How interesting. Honestly, I do not recall you ever showing one at any GCCC meeting that I attended.

I am sure I brought a few stycas to a meeting at one point. They are so little and have such uninspired design that they probably did not leave a major impression.

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nap,

I like this coin more now than when we first discussed this. In my opinion, based on overall auction results, I think you did well on the price. I would not say this coin is 'gnarly;' rather, I think it has the handsome character of an almost 1200 year old coin from the Dark Ages that withstood the ravages of time. I am extremely happy that you got this coin. It is a wholesome coin that deserves an honored place in any serious collection of this material. Congratulations.

As for the 'fantastic beast,' my first impression is that it looks like a Great Dane. Apparently, the CNG cataloger also thinks it is a canine species.

Finally, and as an aside, about the triquetra: "The power of three shall set you free." (Did you know that a Charmed reboot is in the works?) :smile:

For others, here is the Triton lot description:

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of Northumbria. Æthelred II. First reign, 841-843/4. Æ Styca (14mm, 1.19 g, 6h). York mint; Leofthegn, moneyer. + EDILRED REX, cross pattée within beaded circle / + LEOF-DEG-И in three lines around hound running right, head left. Pirie Phase II, Group Ci, 789 (same dies); SCBI 68 (Lyon), 266 var. (obv. cross; same rev. die); EMC –; North 187; SCBC 866. VF, toned, some minor encrustation. Choice for this very rare issue.

From the Dr. JDR Collection. Ex Spink Numismatic Circular CI.1 (February 1993), no. 118; Richard Cyril Lockett Collection (English Part I, Glendining, 6 June 1955) lot 302; Thomas Bliss Collection (Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, 22 March 1916) lot 56 (part of).

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leofthegn obviously was the Euianetos of Northumbria, too bad others didn't care to follow his lead.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

@EVillageProwler said:
    @Nap,

I like this coin more now than when we first discussed this. In my opinion, based on overall auction results, I think you did well on the price. I would not say this coin is 'gnarly;' rather, I think it has the handsome character of an almost 1200 year old coin from the Dark Ages that withstood the ravages of time. I am extremely happy that you got this coin. It is a wholesome coin that deserves an honored place in any serious collection of this material. Congratulations.

As for the 'fantastic beast,' my first impression is that it looks like a Great Dane. Apparently, the CNG cataloger also thinks it is a canine species.

Finally, and as an aside, about the triquetra: "The power of three shall set you free." (Did you know that a Charmed reboot is in the works?) :smile:

For others, here is the Triton lot description:

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of Northumbria. Æthelred II. First reign, 841-843/4. Æ Styca (14mm, 1.19 g, 6h). York mint; Leofthegn, moneyer. + EDILRED REX, cross pattée within beaded circle / + LEOF-DEG-И in three lines around hound running right, head left. Pirie Phase II, Group Ci, 789 (same dies); SCBI 68 (Lyon), 266 var. (obv. cross; same rev. die); EMC –; North 187; SCBC 866. VF, toned, some minor encrustation. Choice for this very rare issue.

From the Dr. JDR Collection. Ex Spink Numismatic Circular CI.1 (February 1993), no. 118; Richard Cyril Lockett Collection (English Part I, Glendining, 6 June 1955) lot 302; Thomas Bliss Collection (Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, 22 March 1916) lot 56 (part of).

Thanks! I think this is a pretty decent example of the "key" of the stycas. (Not as rare as some of the rare moneyers, but certainly the most desirable.) Looking at some of the ones that have been sold in the past few years, and even the ones in references, this is one of the nicest ones I've seen outside of museums.

The creature is typically called a "hound" though the interpretation is a little tough at best

I suspect it is an attempt at imitating the earlier Northumbrian "fantastic beast", something that looks like a combination of a dragon and a horse, and presumably a marker of royal authority in the era before heraldry. The creature has the same claw-like feet and muppet-like mouth, and the triquetra features on some of these coins too.

Here are some of the older coins' beasts:

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fascinating aspect of that coin beyond that it is very unique in design in a rather dismal design era is that Celtic influence is prominent with the figurative beast on the reverse.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice and on the upsideprobable not a coin with any significant forgery.

Thank for sharing interesting read.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@Kkathyl said:
    Very nice and on the upsideprobable not a coin with any significant forgery.

Thank for sharing interesting read.

Forgeries are always an issue unfortunately. Although I have not seen one myself.

In this situation, having a provenance that is over 100 years old can't hurt

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Examples may have been brought, but the lighting would have been less than adequate. Possibly, there was not an opportunity to explain what i was seeing. Nevertheless, these coins are just the sort of thing that would peak my interest; history unencumbered by art.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

@SaorAlba said:
    Leofthegn obviously was the Euianetos of Northumbria, too bad others didn't care to follow his lead.

Euainetos had Kimon.

Leofthegn had nobody. :'(

@harasha said:
    Examples may have been brought, but the lighting would have been less than adequate. Possibly, there was not an opportunity to explain what i was seeing. Nevertheless, these coins are just the sort of thing that would peak my interest; history unencumbered by art

Considering your enthusiasm for artistic medals, that last statement surprises me.

But I will surely bring some examples to show you the next time I see you (worst case scenario next NYINC).