Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1975-1976 Red Clad Kennedy Half Dollar.

I have a Kennedy Half that seems different. The clad is "reddish silver". I know what you are thinking the clad is missing, but I don't think it is. The coin is uncirculated and had a mint luster to it. Have a look!

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might just be my screen but I don't see anything special about it.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that you've found the secret "Red Clad" variety, you just need to find an example of the very, very rare "Blue Clad" so that you have a full set of Red, White and Blue clad Bicentennial Half Dollars.

• Options

You are too funny, mvs7...but I am searching!!! Where's my blue sharpie???

• Options

Maybe I have been staring at coins too long, it I am colorblind, JBK...Its hard to see it using my camera phone...but there is a different color too it.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

It definitely could be toned that way. I see lots of unc. clad that is amber or light brownish. Or some nickel that is blue or greyish.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. Looks toned.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lightly toned, that's all.

Not an error of any conceivable kind.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2018 3:25PM

Red Snoop Dog

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    Lightly toned, that's all.

Not an error of any conceivable kind.

What Fred said.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I didn't say it was an error...just a different color...man...I feel like Rodney Dangerfield of the coin world. .

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No disrespect meant at all.

It's just that when a circulation strike
    coin is posted with words saying it's
    a different color or tint, in 98.5% of the cases,
    it's because the OP believes it's an error.

I made that assumption - if it was posted
    just because it was a different color, then
    my first sentence is still operative:

It's lightly toned.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

Its cool...I am an "infant" with all of this. I knew it wasn't an error but only thought silver coins "toned". Thats kinda why I posted it here...to get the knowledge. Its cool Fred. I didn't take it wrong.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver, nickel, copper, even gold coins can tone.

Over time I think you'll stumble on many other silver clad coins with this appearance.
    Lance.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... a tarnish variant.... spent some time somewhere with something in the environment or on the coin...I have seen some color variants while roll searching. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, make a note:

Pictures taken thru 2X2 holders are useless.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

I usually take them out for pics...was basically just curious

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file