Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tolerance Variation question.

JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 23, 2018 5:20AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Is there an allowable amount of variation on the weight of a zinc lincoln cent ? If so... I'm having a hard time finding it. Does anyone know what the variation tolerance might be ?

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

0.13 gram

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tolerance of 0.13g is per piece on average from a large sample by bulk weight. Not sure what the piece count for the bulk sample is, though.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that +/-? Or total? Does that mean a 'light' cent vs. a 'heavy' cent could vary between them by a total of 0.26g? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Is that +/-? Or total? Does that mean a 'light' cent vs. a 'heavy' cent could vary between them by a total of 0.26g? Cheers, RickO

That's what it's supposed to mean.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN ...Thanks, that is what I assumed, and although I researched, could not find a source that said +/-.
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the official tolerance number (.13) for copper cents.

It's not much difference for copper-coated zinc cents - .10 g

I've found copper-coated zinc cents are
    pretty consistent at their official weight, but I have seen
    exceptions. If your coin is .2 of a gram light or heavy, it's
    not significant, in my view.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @BAJJERFAN ...Thanks, that is what I assumed, and although I researched, could not find a source that said +/-.
    Cheers, RickO

I think it would be quite difficult to always have it overweight or underweight.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN .... I agree... likely it would vary minutely between different runs of planchet material. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 9:15AM

The reason for the question is that I found a 1983 Lincoln zinc cent that I get a weight of 2.70 grams...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file