Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should the 1926 Peace Dollar be a one year type coin?

BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at any 1926 Peace Dollar from any mint and you will notice that the word "GOD" on the obverse is engraved bolder than the other words in the Motto.

As to why this is the case, I will leave it to those "In the know" to explain why this is the case.

I've gotten taken to task in the past for "telling stories"............so I won't tell this one.

Take a look:

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options

Thank you, Roger. I really mean that.

Pete

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Backlash from the Scopes trial is a fun story but not to be believed.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    Backlash from the Scopes trial is a fun story but not to be believed.
    Lance.

I agree. I just want to know why GOD is engraved bolder.

Pete

• Options

"IN" is also bolder, But not as much. A fully struck 1926 dollar does not show as pronounced difference. But, we'll likely never know exactly what happened. The Engraving Department records/notebooks seem to be lost.

• Options

Thanks, Roger.

Pete

• Options

Are you trying to make a monkey out of me?

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh do tell more, as I am not familiar with this story of the 26..........C'mon Please :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

If you make a one year type out of that, then there will be dozens of others that have large differences in other series. Take the 1937 Walking Liberty Half for instance.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

That high whistle is the sound of this discussion going over my head...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer is no GOD no!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at several of my Peace dollars and I see it on a couple, but not on others - I only looked at six that I have handy....will look at more later. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a theory...but maybe it had something to do with derailing the Chinese from counterfeiting the peace dollar at that time...???

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody made a big deal out of this several years back.As I recall nobody ever proved that it was anything other than the engraving department trying to strengthen a part of the design that did not strike up well.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Somebody made a big deal out of this several years back.As I recall nobody ever proved that it was anything other than the engraving department trying to strengthen a part of the design that did not strike up well.

"Just the facts, Mam"......it was a big deal...Thanks.

Pete

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 9:39AM

I tend to agree that any supposed connection between the die changes and a trial concerning the teaching of evolution in school is likely a NUMISMYTH. I wish they could have touched up all the lettering, but that's just me. :) Just for fun, here's a 1926 dollar:

• Options

RE: "... likely a NUMISMYTH."

Thank you for using my copyright terminology. Your invoice will be forwarded as soon as I can find an electron stamp and get it to stick on the envelope. :)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 9:42AM

Roger, tell me where I can examine a genuine 1964-D and I'll pay you double. ;)

Better send it to me in a PM. We don't want to create a scene....

• Options

OK....Wow! Double you say! That's very generous!

I'll 3-D scan some of my roll of genuine 1964-D Peace dollars and you can print them on your 3-D silver printer. :)

• Options

@RogerB said:
    OK....Wow! Double you say! That's very generous!

I'll 3-D scan some of my roll of genuine 1964-D Peace dollars and you can print them on your 3-D silver printer. :)

I tried NOT to create a scene............NOW look what's happening...................... ;)

Pete

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth the time to read on a rainy sfternoon. :smiley:

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. As long as the 1964 doesn't get to be a one year type coin I vote no for your 1926.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2018 2:55AM

Had to smile at the question posed by the OP in light of the "debate" on whether the 1861 Paquet Reverse Double Eagles (1861-P and 1861-S Paquet Reverses) qualify as a separate "type." (The Paquet Reverse Double Eagles had, among other changes, a separate identifieable "designer," very visibly altered and changed lettering, and a complete realignment of the stars, )

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/975923/the-exciting-1861-paquet-reverse-twenty-dollar-liberties-again-in-the-news

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file