Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can you guess what is happening here?

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

The area to the NW of the date is sunken into the coin.

The area to the W of Lincoln is also sunken.
The area above LIBERTY is also sunken on the coin.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just guesses .....

A super thin super late stage cap die???

Or extremely worn wobbly die???

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

You see the wobble around the profile as well. Does look like the die was moving around.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 4:46PM

Looks like multiple strikes as the obverse die rotated, or the reverse die rotated and the coin rotated with it.

Just a guess.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

Strange thing to me is the sunken area by the date. There is a raised area just beyond the sunken area as you go inward towards the center of the coin. it looks like what you would see if you hammered something into a struck coin - you would see metal displaced upward. However this looks like it is in the die, like die wear. But die wear is usually on the outside of the design element.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck through a capped die where the die cap jiggled loose and shifted a bit before striking this coin.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2018 4:56PM

I have photos somewhere of shifted late stage die caps with wide doubling and they have a similar look to this coin. On your coin the doubling is not nearly a spaced out as my on coins, but your coin has way more detail making my think it could by a super (thin) late slightly shifted die cap where the letters have punched thru the die cap. Just throwing it out there. Not sure.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 4:55PM

Rick, Did you get this one from TTTT when he visited your shop?

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also vote “struck through a late state partial die cap,” that was my first instinct even before reading the other replies.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks to me like the damage happened at the very moment the die was in contact with the planchet. As the metal was being displaced the die moved and dragged the design elements into a different area.

The pressure involved at the instant of the strike (and movement of the die at the same time) dragged the design to a new area before the die moved away.

It's the only thing I can think of that might have happened when I try to visualize the event.

That's the best scenario I can contribute. Right or wrong.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. VLS cap

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ascot, Balmoral, Barretina, Beret, Capirote, Caubeen --- or maybe Gatsby, Kolpik, or Toque ?

;)

• Options

@seanq said:
    I also vote “struck through a late state partial die cap,” that was my first instinct even before reading the other replies.

Sean Reynolds

Thanks seanq and CaptHenway, makes sense.

• Options
    TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Just typing out loud...

Is it possible that the Hammer Die can be loose and shift while striking while the Anvil Die stay's still?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a new error for me... I have not seen anything like that one before...not at shows or on forums. Thanks for the analysis.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die cap pounded paper thin, then became dislodged from the die and was sort of turned inside out by the next strike, being struck into the coin.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Rick, Did you get this one from TTTT when he visited your shop?

You beat me to it. I was going to post something like this :smile:

• Options

@EagleEye said:

@seanq said:

Sean Reynolds

Thanks seanq and CaptHenway, makes sense.

Your welcome!

• Options

I would call it a very late stage die cap strike. There is some slight "shifting" of the cap, which is why some of the design elements appear "doubled."

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

Great coin.....thanks for posting. Agree with the thin LS die cap theory.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Your welcome!

Yes, #ErrorsOnCoins, Thank you as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file