Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First time my postal carrier asked me this......................

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew a package was arriving today and waited for it.
He handed me the regular mail and started to hand me the small box and then almost yelled
"whoa, this one needs a signature, what's in it?"
Parts for my Jeep I said, and that was it.
A bit odd though in my opinion :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to believe they would be unprofessional and actually ask that.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been lucky to have long term mailman that know what is in the packages. Occasional fill ins though get sloppy with the high value packages. That is never good.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 11:37AM

@Coinstartled said:
    I have been lucky to have long term mailman that know what is in the packages. Occasional fill ins though get sloppy with the high value packages. That is never good.

Our awesome Mail Lady for over 15 years just retired. They keep switching new carries on our route because it is a difficult route. I make eye contact and look at the each new carries face when I hand over a valued package. I then check tracking.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I tell them my business is Comprehensive Stool Analysis

That explains it

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

Our awesome Mail Lady for over 15 years just retired. They keep switching new carries on our route because it is a difficult route. I make eye contact and look at the each new carries face when I hand over a valued package. I then check tracking.

I have a decent carrier now, but still not ready to hand over a package in excess of $100. I take them to the PO. Good excuse for a brisk walk!

:)

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insure the parcels to the max. and write "extremely rare and valuable gold" on the package.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Insure the parcels to the max. and write "extremely rare and valuable gold" on the package.

I do the opposite, I mix rare valuable packages with much less rare valuable packages, I make the (extremely rare) postal thief guess on which packages he want to commit a felony on .......

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Twice I've been asked, once at the box and once at the counter.....replied Galina sample.

Got stares both times.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

A few times at the postal counter I had a new clerk confirm the insured amount on registered. "Is that $1000 or $10,000"? Always at 120 decibels.

I learned to back up in line and wait for an experienced employee.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got that last week when I was shipping shoe-box size package to our host. I asked for $4500 insurance and he said, "I'm not supposed to ask but what's in it? I was caught off guard and just blurted out "just collectible junk I flip off eBay." Not the best answer but I think my mind was telling me to say anything but coins.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just tell them it's nothing hazardous, perishable, etc.

Or sometimes I say it's hazardous - you might get a paper cut. They typically laugh. :D

Easier (and a lot cheaper) to use a third party insurance, skip the line and just drop it off at random post offices - I use 3 of them.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

happens to me all the time. They are just people. Sometimes they get curious. Since I know all of my postal clerks, I don't really worry about it. I mean, especially if its insured, does it matter if you tell them what's worth $5000?

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 7:21PM

"Keys to the car I just sold (/bought). I'm shipping it out (shipping it in) one piece at a time."

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

It is none of their business.......you could report it and complain, but I doubt if anything would happen.

The guy at 55 Old Mill Lane is unhappy because we asked about the multitude of certified packages he receives!

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stuff my son sends me from Iraq.

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

A way to avoid that is to have the package go key to key. It's the same way they handle forensic material. At each hand-off someone has to sign for the package. Desk to carrier to delivery truck to plane to receiving station to delivery person to destination. Package automatically insured but absolutely traceable at each change of hands and is a lot cheaper and you can almost guarantee delivery.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    It's hard to believe they would be unprofessional and actually ask that.

really? I think it is hard to believe that they would be professional and mind their own business. USPS has always pried too much in my experience

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@logger7 said:

I do the opposite, I mix rare valuable packages with much less rare valuable packages, I make the (extremely rare) postal thief guess on which packages he want to commit a felony on .......

That same strategy is used to transport gold from at least one of the major Northern Nevada gold mining operations to Salt Lake City where it is refined. Multiple Brinks trucks leave the mine, but only one is loaded with the gold.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

When asked a question like this, silence can be quite instructive.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

"it belongs to Mr. Wallace and I don't think Mr. Wallace would appreciate you asking about his business."

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:
    "it belongs to Mr. Wallace and I don't think Mr. Wallace would appreciate you asking about his business."

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    hickoryridgehickoryridge Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    When asked a question like this, silence can be quite instructive.

Was asked years ago, is it a business or a hobby?
    I gave her a long stern glare, was never asked again!

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hobbits at the gate to Bree, en route to the Prancing Pony (where they meet 'Strider' aka Aragorn for the first time):
    "Our business is our own."

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to go pick up a sig package last year with a roll of something from apmex in them and the lady at the counter said 'what's in this, silver or coins'. I said plumbing supplies but nonya, nonya business.

• Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

I don't get any questions since the last rifle I bought was just shipped in a gun case with tape around it.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I usually have a short answer prepared should I be asked - which has happened twice. I do like the stool sample answer though, will have to try that one...hmmm well, would that be considered hazardous material? :D:D OK... My last prepared answer was "My DNA sample - tracing my heritage." She said "It is heavy." I said "I have a very long heritage." :D:D The look on her face was priceless.... Cheers, RickO

:D

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Automated machine in the lobby asked me today, "Is there anything thick in the envelope like a coin"?? :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

You don't benefit from widely disseminating the knowledge you've got coins, instead you'll increase the chance of becoming a target for criminals, aside from it being a privacy issue. That also goes for telling postal employees about your coins, the main subject of this thread. Even if totally innocent themselves, postal employees are often chatty, at the counter, in the back rooms, and when not at work.

But the US mint is flagrantly guilty of betraying its customers in that regard. If you order anything from the mint, you'll receive their flyers in the mail, announcing to postal employees you're a coin collector.

It doesn't matter if you've called the Mint repeatedly over the years, as I've done, and also emailed them many times to stop all mailings. It doesn't matter if you already receive their advertisements by email a couple times a week. They will still continue to send out their lousy flyers by regular mail no matter what you do.

It also doesn't matter they are wasting paper, printing costs and postage, then passing those extra costs onto their customers.

We need to confront the incompetent US Mint bureaucracy on this issue. Incompetent is a mild word for them.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our new mail carrier is very nice, but is as old as Mr. Magoo and unfortunately shares the same quality of eyesight.

I'll usa a fictitious address...........if mine is 2135 pine street, I always get the mail going to 2315 pine street.

Also, I was asked to sign for two packages once, that had the incorrect address and name!!

A call to my local post office was in order where the misdeed was duly noted.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the same carrier 90% of the time. Have for years. At Christmas I give him a card with money for a nice lunch. I've talked coins with him and even evaluated his coin folders from years ago. I've opened PCGS, CAC and NGC boxes he's delivered to share the experience.

If push came to shove and he saw someone unfamiliar running out my back door, I'm certain he has my back.

You gotta trust someone.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

No ya don’t!
    Trust no one

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

TDN's carrier also "carries" a UZI. :D

• Options

As well as a MAGA cap.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make America Gem Again?

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been asked a couple of times when stuff has showed up and I just tell them geologic samples as a standard answer. Easy enough and not something that a dishonest person would pine for I think.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Diamonds. Noooo, don't tell them that one. Bad answer....in fact there are lots of bad answers. Gold, Platinum, Silver, Palladium, all bad bad answers. The stool sample is a good answer! Car parts is another good answer!! Yep, finally got my 2.5 dual carburetor ring lift !!!!!

• Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

All those cute excuses flop when your gaudy coin catalog arrives from the Mint.

• Options
    jafo50jafo50 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

Probably a good time to look into a UPS Store Postal Box. They take deliveries from all carriers including the US Postal Service plus you get a street address and not a PO Box address like the post office offers. I don't use one currently but my wife has been bugging me to get one if I start seeing off my coins.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    I have the same carrier 90% of the time. Have for years. At Christmas I give him a card with money for a nice lunch. I've talked coins with him and even evaluated his coin folders from years ago. I've opened PCGS, CAC and NGC boxes he's delivered to share the experience.

If push came to shove and he saw someone unfamiliar running out my back door, I'm certain he has my back.

You gotta trust someone.

That's what it's all about. I delivered to the same route for 20 years. Saw the kids grow up. Went to funerals, wakes, etc. Looked out for the older people. Bought stamps for shut ins.

That is what I consider to be the LEAST a good Mailman should do for his customers.

I can not say that is the same today. Probably for the older Carriers. Now, it's just bid on or bid off routes depending on the best "deal".

Sad.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been asked a few times when shipping insured packages. Very annoying. I just say ‘electronics’.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Automated machine in the lobby asked me today, "Is there anything thick in the envelope like a coin"?? :D

And you said, "No, I'm just extra happy today"? :o

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2018 1:43AM

This thread turned out funny! I Absolutley Love my mailman...I treat him like he’s part of the family...Ice cold Gatorade on overly hot days and always an envelope on Christmas for him ;)

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always an envelope for him?? Soooo, what's in the envelope? :)

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Always an envelope for him?? Soooo, what's in the envelope? :)

Anything thick, like a coin?......couldn't resist.

My mail carrier is a good egg. My dog likes her and she likes my dog. As part of her route, she drives by my street twice after she delivers on it. If she had a package that needed to be signed for, and I wasn't home from work when she delivered, she will look to see if my car is in the driveway as she passes. If it is, she will come back around to get me to sign. Has saved me about 2 dozen trips to the PO. I imagine she is aware of what is in the packages and I am not concerned. She gets a gift card at Christmas for her good work.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file