Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The worst baseball cards in history

slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2013/08/bob_hamelin_worst_baseball_card_ever_the_case_of_1996_pinnacle_foil_no_289.html

I got a kick out of this article. So, what is your opinion of the worst baseball card in history?

I have a couple to nominate. How about the 1978 Topps Greg Minton? It looks like EVERYTHING was airbrushed, including his glasses and his teeth!

How about the 1983 Topps Mike Armstrong? I laugh every time I see that card!

What's yours?

Shane

Comments

• 1971 Topps Gene Brabender

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

1973 Topps Billy Champion . looks like the hat was drawn on with a pen

• mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Here is a classic:
    1990 Topps TV Chuck Cottier. Just came from the proctologist
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am still laughing at Chuck Cottier! That one may take the cake!

Shane

• 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

I have to disagree. The Oscar Gamble is on e of the BEST cards in history. The Oscar Azocar is creepy.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

@handyman said:

Did Mossi's ears grow on that 1966 Topps card?

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball

yep i found the bat snuggling creepy too

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Adam, yes, that 66 Mossi pic is altered. While his ears were freakishly large, they weren't that big.

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Note Mr O'Toole's enthusiasm for seeing Mrs O'Toole

Another bat obscenity

The worst Maury Wills

A bad itch removed

A bad Fleer card of a great player ( 1923)

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al

I have that set with jim nettles in it.. never noticed the bat before , ill have to check it out now

• how the heck do you post a picture here, can someone please help

art susi

Keep 'em coming! I love those pictures.

I laughed again when I saw Chuck Cottier!

Shane

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bishop said:

Good Grief!

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

1954 Topps Lou limmer

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this is an old thread (and there are probably some similar ones on here that are newer) but it's the thread I found when I couldn't help but think of it when I was looking at the 1974 Topps/OPC Red Kelly today. Closeup of a giant forehead coupled with an odd sideways glance instead of looking at the camera/photographer; how is it possible that this was the best photo they had available when they needed to finalize the design?

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don Mossi could of used Oscar Gambles hair style to cover his ears.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭✭

@rmh111985 said:

What's wrong with these? I think they're cool and interesting...what was that party they were doing in the background of the first card anyway?

Now THIS right here is about the ugliest card I've ever seen; it looks like Babe Ruth is wearing lipstick!

https://prewarcards.com/2021/03/14/reviewing-babe-ruths-two-w515-strip-cards/

Though this one kinda takes the cake too...poor Babe...

https://prewarcards.com/2018/03/16/ugliest-card-of-all-time-the-1933-eclipse-babe-ruth-has-a-solid-case/

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989

Someone please post a 1983 Topps Mike Armstrong.

Shane

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any card with "Prizm" and "Refractor" in the description is hideous, but if it also includes "Purple" then it's the ugliest card ever.

I rest my case.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

am unsure what hudler is doing to the pole or why carr is grinning

• stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    I know this is an old thread (and there are probably some similar ones on here that are newer) but it's the thread I found when I couldn't help but think of it when I was looking at the 1974 Topps/OPC Red Kelly today. Closeup of a giant forehead coupled with an odd sideways glance instead of looking at the camera/photographer; how is it possible that this was the best photo they had available when they needed to finalize the design?

Reminds me of Sergeant Taggert from Beverly Hills Cop, who has a pig face, accordingly to Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy).

• rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    1958 Brooks Robinson!

Came here to say this card!

• STLKabongSTLKabong Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

A public service announcement from Brooks Robinson:

"Remember kids, baseball season IS allergy season..... be mindful of others and please cover your sneeze!"

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@rugbymarine said:

@mintonlypls said:
    1958 Brooks Robinson!

Came here to say this card!

For some reason, Brooks reminds me of Billy Bob Thornton in Slingblade. Great movie BTW. Uhh Huhh...

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr Garvey is there. Trust me! lol

Sorry didn't mean to repost.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

that's actually my favorite Garvey card... :)

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevebay said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Actually, this is quite an interesting card. From the looks of it, Steve Garvey just homered, thus, about to cross home plate to shake Wed Parker's hand. Looking at Garvey's Statistics from 1972, he homered 9 times, and in only one of those 9 games, Wes Parker batted behind him. Game was on July 1st, 1972, via Box Score. These are one of those cards, where you can actually pin-point the exact game, inning, etc. I have too much time!

hey stevebay,
    something like this... :)

• yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool story on the Garvey. I'll throw this one into the mix.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@LandrysFedora said:

I like it as it’s a unique action shot, but the focus of the card being on the other guy is a head scratcher.

@GroceryRackPack said:

@stevebay said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Actually, this is quite an interesting card. From the looks of it, Steve Garvey just homered, thus, about to cross home plate to shake Wed Parker's hand. Looking at Garvey's Statistics from 1972, he homered 9 times, and in only one of those 9 games, Wes Parker batted behind him. Game was on July 1st, 1972, via Box Score. These are one of those cards, where you can actually pin-point the exact game, inning, etc. I have too much time!

hey stevebay,

In trying to pinpoint this particular game I can identify Lee Lacey playing 2nd here, Parker playing 1st, appears to be a Phillies base runner. A left handed throwing outfielder (left fielder?). Does anyone have a guess on the venue? Dodger Stadium?

• stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@stevebay said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@LandrysFedora said:

hey stevebay,

In trying to pinpoint this particular game I can identify Lee Lacey playing 2nd here, Parker playing 1st, appears to be a Phillies base runner. A left handed throwing outfielder (left fielder?). Does anyone have a guess on the venue? Dodger Stadium?

Grote15 found a great video posted in the other thread. Start video at the 26:05 mark for the Wes Parker game.

@stevebay said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@stevebay said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@LandrysFedora said:

hey stevebay,

Grote15 found a great video posted in the other thread. Start video at the 26:05 mark for the Wes Parker game.

That is good stuff! Thank you.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@stevebay said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@LandrysFedora said:

lmAO

Love and hate this one so much

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    This one:

Now, ask yourself how many other Hall of Famers look like “Drug Dealer #2” from an episode of Miami Vice, and on their rookie card no less?!?!?

I honestly liked cards that show players in non-uniform settings. Nice change of pace!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars