Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Really, what are the chances?

toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Earlier today, I printed out my PCGS inventory since I haven’t been too good lately adding or deleting the stuff I either bought, sold, or had certified. As I am going through the coins, checking the cert numbers, I was very much surprised to find consecutive cert numbers on 2 of my Buffalos. What surprised me was that these were purchased in 2 different states with a lapse between purchases of about 5 years!

I bought the ‘31-S from the Litman Coin Exchange in Pittsburg in October 2008. I purchased the ‘34-P about 4-5 years ago from a dealer at one of the annual shows of the Mesa Coin Club in Mesa AZ. Although I have had these together for several years, this is the first time I noticed the consecutive numbers!

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty rare like winning the lottery chances I would think. I rarely play due to the odds but thinking maybe you should play if you don't already. That's cool

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty amazing.

mirabela
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is very rare... such different times and places of acquisition make the odds astronomical... probably much higher than winning a lottery. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had that happen where I bought 2 coins at different times a 1919-D Walker and a 1919-S Walker from different sellers that ended up having consecutive cert numbers.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Odds aren't that high if your buying the same or similar items. Think bulk submission from one seller.

I buy error coins from all over and many times I get consecutive numbers on like items from different sellers.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it ... very cool!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 9:08AM

Two people like similar coins!

Very cool that they are together again!

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a trick I learned a while ago. Go to the certificate page and enter the one slab number than the other and keep going up and down from those numbers and you can see all the coins that were submitted at that time. This will show you if there are more out there to be found.

Enjoy Tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

have you considered buying a lottery ticket?

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's like a happy ending love story.....what a wonderful surprise!

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone probably slabbed the whole set in order. Very cool to have gotten them under these circumstances!

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

I purchased this one in 2004 #50088005

I purchased this one in 2007 #50088007

I also see that #50088006 is also an 1890-s 64PL and the cert# is still valid.

50088007 I later sold and 50088005 is now in a newer holder same grade.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool, you got some keepers there

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

your chances are probably near 1 in 30 million

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    your chances are probably near 1 in 30 million

+1

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a certain Jefferson nickel variety with a rim clip in MS64 off eBay. About a month later two MS65s appeared there with the next two consecutive serial numbers, also with rim clips. The oddest thing is, they were listed by three different sellers, though I assume they all came out of the same bag or roll.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a few months apart, I don't remember where.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should be able to have this done by sending in an order. AFAIK, The submitter, the grade and the position in the order - perhaps even the coin type are all part of the label #. If you didn't do it, The fact that you happened on them out of the blue is the amazing part of your story.

• Options

@toyz4geo said:
    Earlier today, I printed out my PCGS inventory since I haven’t been too good lately adding or deleting the stuff I either bought, sold, or had certified. As I am going through the coins, checking the cert numbers, I was very much surprised to find consecutive cert numbers on 2 of my Buffalos. What surprised me was that these were purchased in 2 different states with a lapse between purchases of about 5 years!

I bought the ‘31-S from the Litman Coin Exchange in Pittsburg in October 2008. I purchased the ‘34-P about 4-5 years ago from a dealer at one of the annual shows of the Mesa Coin Club in Mesa AZ. Although I have had these together for several years, this is the first time I noticed the consecutive numbers!

WOW! JUST WOW! =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file