Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1972 Topps Football Rack Rip

So I ordered a couple racks from Fritsch to rip. I just opened the shipment box to get going and to my surprise I now won't be ripping. One rack has a HOF Charlie Joiner ROOKIE on the front with a HOF Emmitt Thomas ROOKIE on the back! The other rack has a Roger Staubach Super Bowl card on the front! Will post some pics.

Comments

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

• prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 12:52PM

Wow what a great stroke of luck! Congrats! Love that Staubach rack!

• Wow, those look great. I wish PSA would grade racks also.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!!!

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

Sweet indeed! And how about some love for Errol Mann (posing in what I believe is Tiger Stadium).

• jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 2:59PM

You should be VERY happy with the cards from the middle section on the Staubach pack if you decide to open

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

I see a certain mean Joe too

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow Chris - you picked up 2 really nice racks!

In really nice shape also.

Congratulations buddy.

Mike
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

@jmoran19 said:
    You should be VERY happy with the cards from the middle section on the Staubach pack if you decide to open

Indeed!!

Wow, even the other pack's middle section has good odds as well. Great purchase!

Scott

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

@jmoran19 said:

I wish I had your special power!

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

I root for OPENING them. Sounds like two chances at Staubach to me based on the crew here. Can't ask for better odds for opening. Keeping him sealed in the middle seems like the wrong thing to do as those corners slide around until they are revealed. Maybe you made this thread to encourage yourself to show that PSA 10 early...

• sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Congrats on those packs. Great when 45+ year old cards look like they were just printed.

Appreciate the positive comments very much!! They are beautiful packs and so fresh and pristine!! The Staubach Super Bowl pack is so cool especially how the card is next to the colorful yellow header and Staubach is looking right to the other cards (the layout details I enjoy). I was a Cowboy fan as a kid and Staubach was my Idol!! My wife says rip them based on your hints but I am somewhat conservative and think I have to keep them as is with what is showing. Quit teasing LOL.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

great pick up

congrats!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Appreciate the positive comments very much!! They are beautiful packs and so fresh and pristine!! The Staubach Super Bowl pack is so cool especially how the card is next to the colorful yellow header and Staubach is looking right to the other cards (the layout details I enjoy). I was a Cowboy fan as a kid and Staubach was my Idol!! My wife says rip them based on your hints but I am somewhat conservative and think I have to keep them as is with what is showing. Quit teasing LOL.

You WUSS. lol

UFFDAH, PM sent

Thanks for chatting jmoran19!!

Popcorn time....please. :)

LOL...nothing too Juicy!! LOL

edited January 21, 2018 8:23PM

@UFFDAH said:
    LOL...nothing too Juicy!! LOL

No, I thought he was encouraging you to open them and I am getting my popcorn ready. If you do open them, I would throw a few bucks to see a video of the opening. Start the gofundme. lol

Lol!! Just Do It!!

I am rooting your wife holds back sex until this happens!

She doesn't hold back!! Try again!!

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    She doesn't hold back!! Try again!!

She's a keeper.

Woot...Woot lol!!

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love opening packs believe me. But I agree with you on leaving it sealed. I have a feeling it will be centered 90-10 TB or LR like I see it most of the time.

Keep it sealed and it will be worth more as someone will always want to open it. Sealed you can say it is a PSA 9-10 and safe inside.

edited January 21, 2018 8:54PM

I will try once more.

I would think finally busting a pack makes sense here probability wise and because of the position you are in. Since there are never any guarantees in packs, I would think the value of these packs is up in the air for debate to be certainly above the regular rack price, but I am not sure the ceiling is even close to the potential of the packs yield from opening.

You already had the plans to do this, so throwing the $1500 or whatever cost was out the window for a moment, the potential Mean Joe, Staubach 1 or an insane more, the Joiner, and others should just about close this deal. Your intention was to pull these cards anyway, and now you have an ideal scenario in front of you where you start with 2-3 you already like and many more potentially hidden inside. The fact that 6 cards show, gave a pretty easy chance to display a card you would have appreciated on the outside of the pack. What else would have held you back I think you should ask yourself. Was it only the Staubach that started the change of heart? I know we can appreciate this due to his RC season, but that is not THE card. If it was, I wouldn't even be in this thread other than to bow down to the glorious rack.

This itch won't go away.

That is the best I got bud. I wish you luck tonight.

I have a PSA 9 Staubach ROOKIE. It's very difficult to pull a centenered card with all the extra good stuff etc. so I will probably buy more racks and rip for the fun to get it out of my system knowing it is likely a losing cause......

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh dang, YOu gotta show a pic of the 9 now!!

handyman - here is the 9 that I have.

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

Roger was a stud back in the day, I'll never understand how Terry Bradshaw was able to steal his wife Jo Jo from him.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you at least open the Goose? :D

Daniel

Lol...I did rip the Goose, a Blue Moon and quite a few Silver Bullets watching the games. Was I ripped, not quite, but definitely tooted!!

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    So I ordered a couple racks from Fritsch to rip. I just opened the shipment box to get going and to my surprise I now won't be ripping. One rack has a HOF Charlie Joiner ROOKIE on the front with a HOF Emmitt Thomas ROOKIE on the back! The other rack has a Roger Staubach Super Bowl card on the front! Will post some pics.

Very nice hits!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a picture of the rack boxes these came in ?